Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/17/2007 2:43pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone a Fan of the IFL??

I got into MMA when a guy who went to my college started fighting in the IFL (Shad Lierley). I had always watched a bit of the UFC here and there, but never got really into it until recently. Obviously I have a bias towards the IFL, although I could never sit through the horrible IFL Battleground show.

Are there any other IFL Fans here? Even if you hate the IFL, you have to love the Dear Don articles http://ifl.tv/News-07Dec11-Dear-Don-13.html

And don't get me wrong, I love watching all MMA except RioHereos (for ethical reasons). Kind of pissed i don't have HDNet as it seems Mark Cuban is working hard to make it a great channel for a ton of MMA.
    Last edited by bigbuba0; 12/17/2007 3:24pm at .

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    12/17/2007 2:54pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your link is broken.

I like IFL a lot, although they need to run their show like there is an actual season to it, because there is, but it's not on some regular tv schedual so that you can follow who is doing best in the rankings. I'd also like to see them try some different things with the point system. Instead of a simple "number of wins" score, I'd rather see 1st round knockouts/subs worth more than decisions. I think that'd make some of the fights more intense and keep the last couple of fights more interesting as well.

But the commentating, matches, coaches, team set-up, and Don Frye, all make it worth watching. It's my favorite MMA programing next to actual UFC, and I think if I could actually follow an actual season I'd like it even more.

Dagon

Posted On:
    12/17/2007 3:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry about that, link should work now

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    12/17/2007 3:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'l watch it if it's on. But I won't go out of my way like I do for the UFC and did for pride.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    12/17/2007 3:26pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with the points that Dagon makes.

The only difference I have with him is that I prefer WEC over IFL. Just more talent overall.

Besides that, I think that the IFL is alright.

BTW, why don't you like RioHeroes?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2007 3:34pm

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll put myself in the micro-minority (flame away) and say I prefer the IFL to even UFC. Call me nuts, but I like the team aspect and when I think about "most awesome fights I saw in 2007" they pretty much all happened in the IFL. The season finale with the Silverbacks vs. Pitbulls, with the Silverbacks winning two matches in a row to tie it up leading to a deciding match was one of the more exciting MMA viewing experiences I've had. It had me standing in my living room. Bas Rutten as a commentator, I don't know, has a lot going for it. You?

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    12/17/2007 4:49pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get to roll with IFL guys pretty regularly and enjoy catching fights on tv. However I don't really watch any tv regularly (not that I don't watch tv, just don't have set times when I watch stuff).

I really like (and hate) the fact that the IFL lets guys train full time even if they're not at a marquee level. The increase in skill I've seen in some of the guys over just 6 months is insane. Guys I killed a few months ago are barely getting fended off. Hopefully the IFL will be able to persist.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2007 5:07pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the IFL for it's attempt to be a fighter friendly league. Upa's post above kind of supports that it's more than just posturing. I never really paid much attention to it before I decided to own it.

Yes, I own the IFL. Or at least some shares of its stock, which I fortunately purchased at a low price (it's still languishing though). The fact that the IFL is publicly traded was a factor that drew me in, and I'll be paying more attention to the next season. I viewed the purchase as an investment in a sport I truly support and want to grow. Hopefully, the broadcast partnership with HDNet has positive and strengthening results.

To be honest though, I'm skeptical of the team concept catching on, maybe because I've always followed one-on-one types of combat sporting events, as opposed to, say wrestling, where there is team based victory. But like I said, the IFL seems to be the only clear venue where one can invest money to support MMA on a broad level, so I'm rooting for it, and hoping people (myself included) warm up to the team format.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    12/17/2007 5:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some of the IFL guys I know really like how they're treated versus how they've been treated by the UFC, KOTC and numerous other promotions.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/17/2007 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll watch it if it's on, couldn't care less if it went bankrupt...kind of wish it would.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast