Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 4:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am in the ATT school in CT so congrats. I am on my way to blue as well. Good Luck on the long road to Purple

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 10:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu, BJJ - injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats to the new blues, it will be a long time till I get mine (haven't even started competing yet!)
    What's the green belt for? Didn't think that was an adult grade in BJJ? I only wore mine from Ju Jitsu as no one had a white in my size anywhere.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 1:32pm

Style: Hapkido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea_IR
    Congrats to the new blues, it will be a long time till I get mine (haven't even started competing yet!)
    What's the green belt for? Didn't think that was an adult grade in BJJ? I only wore mine from Ju Jitsu as no one had a white in my size anywhere.
    ATT has a green belt adult grade between white and blue. As far as I know, it has no official meaning outside of ATT, unlike blue, purple, and so on, which do.

I believe that similar "between white and blue" grades are not uncommon elsewhere, given the amount of time it takes to get to blue.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 2:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu, BJJ - injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So they would compete as white belts at tournaments? I take it that's what they would wear outside the school unless they were in an ATT competition...?
    I'm quite curious about this, not seen anything like it before. We don't even use any stripes that often. (I'm BTT)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 3:14pm

Style: American Top Team BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So they would compete as white belts at tournaments? I take it that's what they would wear outside the school unless they were in an ATT competition...?
    I'm quite curious about this, not seen anything like it before. We don't even use any stripes that often. (I'm BTT)
    As a green belt I competed in the blue belt division at NAGA ... even though I was technically still a white belt. And I wore my green belt.

I could've competed at white if I wanted ... but I chose to go up to blue.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 3:18pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Rhea,

From my undestanding, the green belt for adults was something the Popovitch school was using to give new guys incentive to stay training, think of it as a more defined stripes. When competiting, we all do as white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 3:20pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Perrazo
    I just got back from training and saw some sign up sheet for Panda hunting!?! There were all these guys clamoring to get at it so I couldn't get a good look.

Just kidding Anthony, see you there tonight!
    I love the competitive comradery in BJJ like this.

At our last promotion for a bunch of people to blue belts, one of the quotes was - "well at least that's a little closer to the brown belt you have on your myspace page". Which of course spurred on a little more spirited rounds.

Congrats Anthony, Jeff, Francisco on a hard earned accomplishment that really means something in the martial arts.

Master of the Shrimp

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 7:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    congrats

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 8:25pm

Style: wah lum kungfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats y'all

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 1:09pm

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like someone else said I know popovitch gives a green belt, and the lovato's actually give out orange and green belts before blue. I think (as someone else said) it's to keep people motivated and feeling like they're progressing. Usually said orange and green belts compete at white.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast