• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo Hero Bitten...now HIV?

Judo hold ends robbery bid

30/10/2003 10:03

Lizel Steenkamp Johannesburg - A judo instructor allegedly broke an armed robber's neck during a wild wrestle, but now fears he might have contracted HIV.

Dick Crafford, 44, of Johannesburg had to receive antiretroviral treatment on Wednesday morning after the robber drew blood by biting Crafford on his fingers and on the right thigh. A piece of tissue and skin was pulled from the index finger on his right hand.

Dr Naseema Barday-Karbanee, who treated Crafford, said bites did not normally pose a big HIV risk, but they had decided not to take any chances. "If the suspect's blood test is negative, we will stop Crafford's antiretroviral treatment.

Crafford, who recently returned from the All Africa Games in Nigeria where he acted as a judo referee, went to fetch money from the Berg shopping centre in Bergbron, Johannesburg, just after 07:00 on Wednesday. He owns an automatic cellphone-card machine in the Spar.

A robber overpowered Crafford and Pieter Grobler, manager of the Spar, while they were counting money in the office. Crafford jumped up to disarm the man. "I bent his hand back. It happened very fast. He was yelling like a madman." A second robber fired a shot in the office and wounded Grobler in his right hand. The second robber fled while Crafford was wrestling with his accomplice.

"The man tried to get up and I held him around his neck. I thought I would wait for the police in this position." The man lost consciousness. "It wasn't my intention to kill him. I thought he had fainted. I am very hurt by this. I am sorry for him and his family."

Inspector Susan Storm said two suspects fled after their accomplice died. "The robber's neck might have been broken, but a post-mortem will have to confirm this."

Crafford said he wasn't being courageous. "I have practised to disarm a person and knew what to expect. He was much taller than me and aggressive - I just wanted to save our lives," said Crafford. The pistol with which Grobler was shot was reported as stolen in Hillbrow earlier on Wednesday morning. A video recording on the closed-circuit television cameras in the Spar will be used to identify the other suspects.

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_A...437559,00.html
    Last edited by blankslate; 10/31/2003 10:36am at .

Posted On:
    10/31/2003 12:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    heh...

Posted On:
    10/31/2003 1:07am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kick ass....except for the HIV crap...
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2003 1:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    goes to prove that disarming techniques do work...if you have the balls and skills to do so.

Titan

Posted On:
    10/31/2003 4:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He shouldn't be worried about him. That fucker was in there armed to comit a crime, he got what he deserved.

I'd be more worried about the HIV. Hope he's alright.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    10/31/2003 9:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...and to think that Judo is just a "sport".

This HIV thing reminds me of the biting threads as well.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    10/31/2003 9:56am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know how it reminds me of them? Because he bit, and still got his weak ass killed. If your "anti-grappling" consists of "D00d I got teh H1V!" you're in trouble.
    Last edited by The Wastrel; 10/31/2003 10:06am at .
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Titan

Posted On:
    10/31/2003 10:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wastrel = Correct. All the "I'd just bite" tossers can kindly STFU.

I also think the title is a wee bit misleading. Now AIDS!!! is a bit over the top, as hopefully he hasn't even got HIV.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    10/31/2003 10:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wastrel, yes.

SLJ, correct, I must have caught a rush of the sensationalism bug. HIV comes first, AIDS is the follow on syndrome. We hope this Judoka doesn't even have HIV of course.

I wonder if I can go back and edit the title.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2003 12:03pm

Style: japanese jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yeesh

Keerist, if there was one country in the world where you don't want to get bitten, it would be South Aprika. Isn't the adult infection rate around 25%? Damn, come to think of it, I'd bet it's even higher in the street criminal population.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast