Administrator

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 6:41pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom7
    to clarify, i don't believe i came in here with an attitude problem, and even though i get really ticked off at some of the replies, i would rather have intelligent discussion.
    You got pissed because the training wasn't put on a pedestal. Is it the worst no. Is it good no. What I saw is typical forced aliveness by someone who should hire a coach to help.
    but again, this is a matter of perspective. i don't see why you'd have a problem with what you quoted, and particularly what you highlighted. its really just the truth. i don't know if you see the statement as a slap in the face to MMA, because i certainly don't mean to disrespect it. in fact, i have a lot more respect for it than you realize, and i probably gained some of that through this website.
    Listen I DO NOT DO MMA. So, How can I give a **** about a slap to the face of MMA when I don't practice it at all.

Zero MMA
    Zero MT
    Zero KB
    Zero BJJ (hour of WATCHING a class)

It isn't the truth, it is YOUR TRUTH. It is funny how you flip flop and whatever you type is truth, what everyone else types
    is a matter of perspective.
    Everything, including your truth is just a different perspective.

You have been confrontational about WC since, joining the forum. Deal with it as Tom Kagan, Dagon, Running Dog, Soutpaw, and others chunners do, with reason.

Notice, I didn't agree (still don't) with Dagon's clinch theory. Wow 3 posts and we are done.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 6:50pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odaclaus
    Where do you train and in what style of Chinese martial arts?
    Traditional Wing Chun, it is in a post somewhere in another thread.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 7:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinca
    Off Topic: They actually lose a chunk of change every year on that tournament. Next year will be even worse because the Marriott jacked the price big time. As for the behind the scenes stuff, it is bullshit. Given that there were competitors from Japan, Spain, Brazil, France, Canada and Taiwan, I would take that rumor with a great deal of salt.
    Fair enough. I don't know what it's like now, it's been years since I went to it. I was being told these things from judges, but you sound like you know what's going on.

On Topic: As for the sparring vid, the guy in yellow is from Traditional Wing Chun. The vids say they're from Columbia, Maryland. They have a bunch of training stuff on Youtube also. They usually show pretty well which is why I posted it, not to give an opinion on WC but to show a different perspective.
    Yeah I used to run with that crew. I trained under John Clayton for several years. Also trained under Julian Sawyer for a little bit prior to that. Don't recognize the guys from either video, but it's been a while.

Pretty much anyone who has trained under Clayton is somewhat safe from the rest of the association so yeah, Moore's guys are much better compared to the rest of the WWCKFA. Vic Parlatti and his students were above average, and I was told Anthony Arnett and his students were as well, but sadly that was about it for the association (at least in the US)...

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 7:14pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eternal Rage: what do you think you know, and who do you think you know? the fighters in the Lei Tai clip are not sifus, and they are not from the Baltimore/DC area. they're from NJ, and i'd say they're at a very intermediate level, at best. in fact....................they are the same guys in the training clip i posted.
    Chill out man. I just assumed it was a sifu. And in the years I went to that tournament, the NJ guys were never there. I forgot all the ones I met when I'd go up there for seminars. It's been a while.

Some of my friends who still train TWC told me a while back that Mazza was going to be the new GM once Cheung kicks the bucket. Is this true? If so, are they moving the headquarters to the US? Just curious...

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 7:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ....trying to apply some techniques that are really hard to pull off without lots of practice and skill.
    Initially, I thought the ride you were getting from Isitfake and Odaclaus, et al was a little over the top. Then, I read the whole thread.

The above statement is the most disturbing thing of all to me. What I saw looked like VERY rookie sparring, with lots of messiness. I didn't see anything 'hard to pull off'. Please explain to me what I might be missing, because I saw:

1.) Sloppy punches and wide open guards.

2.) Lousy combinations that needed a lot of work.

3.) Half assed blocks and missed counters.

4.) Knees and kicks that lacked power, technique, or proper timing.

5.) A big guy who is obviously more experienced than the other two jumping in for two seconds (rushing?), then leaving as soon as the guy either tossed him away or he got the guy backing up and defensive.

I'm the first to admit I don't know anything about the chun. Is there something advanced in here I didn't see? I understand this is a live drill, and those get messy, but I didn't see anything particularly difficult in there.
    Last edited by Feryk; 12/18/2007 7:49pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

:)

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 9:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think you missed anything. The stuff in there is harder to do than nothing at all...but that's about it. By taking a **** on this thread, exercising those muscles, we are all engaged in "wing chun training that doesn't suck".

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 10:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    Initially, I thought the ride you were getting from Isitfake and Odaclaus, et al was a little over the top. Then, I read the whole thread.

The above statement is the most disturbing thing of all to me. What I saw looked like VERY rookie sparring, with lots of messiness. I didn't see anything 'hard to pull off'. Please explain to me what I might be missing, because I saw:

1.) Sloppy punches and wide open guards.

2.) Lousy combinations that needed a lot of work.

3.) Half assed blocks and missed counters.

4.) Knees and kicks that lacked power, technique, or proper timing.

5.) A big guy who is obviously more experienced than the other two jumping in for two seconds (rushing?), then leaving as soon as the guy either tossed him away or he got the guy backing up and defensive.

I'm the first to admit I don't know anything about the chun. Is there something advanced in here I didn't see? I understand this is a live drill, and those get messy, but I didn't see anything particularly difficult in there.
    I think his main point was that here were some chunners who weren't chi saoing all day long, who weren't just rooted in the pigeon stance doing sil lum tao or slapping a wooden dummy around - that here were some guys that put up videos of actual resistance training, both in lei tai full contact as well as sparring in class.

OP stated that while they obviously aren't seasoned MMAers or able to jump in the UFC, that the very notion that their are chunners TRYING to see the error in their ways, that there should be some hope for the chun, especially since it's damn near impossible to get it to work to begin with.

To which he received some colorful responses basically stating "if youre going to do that type of training, get qualified instructors" and "just because you make the effort to add resistance, it doesn't make the system any more effective or worth learning."

:)

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 12:19am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    To which he received some colorful responses basically stating "if youre going to do that type of training, get qualified instructors" and "just because you make the effort to add resistance, it doesn't make the system any more effective or worth learning."
    that sums it up quite well...thanks. Only problem is, bring in boxing coach for hands, mt for kicks (cos really, those were really really really bad), and bjj for ground...what's left?

Drills for sensitivity..but is that a style? I can understand why there would be resitance in certain circles to the logical crosstraining that these vids would imply the need for...there'd be little or no system left.

Master of the Shrimp

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 1:23am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja
    that sums it up quite well...thanks. Only problem is, bring in boxing coach for hands, mt for kicks (cos really, those were really really really bad), and bjj for ground...what's left?

Drills for sensitivity..but is that a style? I can understand why there would be resitance in certain circles to the logical crosstraining that these vids would imply the need for...there'd be little or no system left.
    I think there are many ways to the same point. For example, how different really are things like savate, Muaythai, San shou, Kyokushin, etc? I think when you put pressure on an art, this case the chun, then you will, inevitably, get something that looks like one of the previous arts

Why? That is evolution. The enviroment dictates what goes on. In Chi sao muaythai would never work. Chi sao is a drill at best. I think it IS good for sensitivity but that may be it. You can that also from Greco( as someone that has dones bothI feel this to be true). does CS translate to fighting? Sure the clinch, but you better know greco!

i know there are lots of WC hate( and love!) but if someone want sto do it for the rest of their lives and they love it, let them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 1:36am

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man is it Wednesday again already?!
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast