Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 4:47pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alan Orr can be an ass. Thing is he has BJJ and catch wrestling on his website. He gets mild respect because he does compete.

I don't agree with everything he says.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 5:23pm

Style: Chinese martial arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kung Fu IS skill that comes through hard work. i understand that the MMA mindset is to train in a way that is most natural to the fighter. there aren't a lot of skilled KF fighters compared to MMA fighters because, especially in todays world, its not worth all the time and work that comes with it. that's at least one reason...

i purposely displayed this video, with all its flaws. it DOES look sloppy; many times, they AREN'T pulling the technique off. my intention was to point out that these guys are actually training, and not pretending. in other words, while many TMA schools stick with forms and very cooperative drills, these guys are exposing each others' weaknesses, and if the technique wasn't performed properly, they know it. they are not being deluded with a pretty, flowery, "kung fu dance"/ LARPing.

they will continue to work on these drills at different speeds, with different people, along with other drills, so that it becomes more and more instinctive.

if they wanted to resort to straight kickboxing, they'd dance back and forth. you punch, i punch; you kick, i kick. what they are training are WC principles: block and strike at the same time; close the gap, don't back away; interrupt and redirect attacks without fighting force with force; cut angles for superior positioning, where you can use all your weapons but the opponent's weapons are cut off.

now most of you don't know about that, but it is very hard to do, and may i say, not as "natural." its got to be trained. but really, what's "natural" for the untrained is to cover up and/or swing wildly. MMA type training is obviously superior to that. but being skilled enough to apply WC in a fight and maintain those fine motor skills is admitedly really hard. these guys are on the right track with a lot of work to go.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 5:42pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do a search on my username and I have probably said the exact same things on this site or very similar.

Wing chun is not a new style, it has been around for a while now and if there are still no practioners who can make it work under pressure then the question has to be asked when will it ever work? or is life too short and may as well move on to something that does not require 600 posts on a internet message board to try and proove it is effective.

I take it you do Wing Chun then?

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 5:43pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That begs the question - if applying WC in a fight is really hard, what's the point when you could just box?

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 5:45pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't quote parables to us. Your first paragraph is garbage we all know this excuse and it has led to the problems in CMA.

There is no excuse for improper training. It does not matter if they are trying new things. If you don't know how to clinch, throw knees, roundhouses etc, you shouldn't be teaching it at all. If you choose to, you bring in an experienced person to do these things.

if they wanted to resort to straight kickboxing, they'd dance back and forth. you punch, i punch; you kick, i kick. what they are training are WC principles: block and strike at the same time; close the gap, don't back away; interrupt and redirect attacks without fighting force with force; cut angles for superior positioning, where you can use all your weapons but the opponent's weapons are cut off.
    This is nothing new. An intermediate kickboxer would destroy these guys.

now most of you don't know about that, but it is very hard to do, and may i say, not as "natural." its got to be trained. but really, what's "natural" for the untrained is to cover up and/or swing wildly. MMA type training is obviously superior to that. but being skilled enough to apply WC in a fight and maintain those fine motor skills is admitedly really hard. these guys are on the right track with a lot of work to go.
    Actually we do.
    So, it is okay to change your **** to make it look like KB, MMA, and MT yet claim it is still the chun?
    This has been discussed to death. If it is to hard to accomplish under pressure then why waste your time learning the garbage?

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 5:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure. They put on equipment and are hitting each other, instead of doing sil lum tao all day or chi saoing their asses off. Fine, it's a step in the right direction. But a small step. A very small step.

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 6:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a step off a cliff if the techniques are no use.

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 6:34pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom7
    Kung Fu IS skill that comes through hard work. i understand that the MMA mindset is to train in a way that is most natural to the fighter. there aren't a lot of skilled KF fighters compared to MMA fighters because, especially in todays world, its not worth all the time and work that comes with it. that's at least one reason...

i purposely displayed this video, with all its flaws. it DOES look sloppy; many times, they AREN'T pulling the technique off. my intention was to point out that these guys are actually training, and not pretending. in other words, while many TMA schools stick with forms and very cooperative drills, these guys are exposing each others' weaknesses, and if the technique wasn't performed properly, they know it. they are not being deluded with a pretty, flowery, "kung fu dance"/ LARPing.

they will continue to work on these drills at different speeds, with different people, along with other drills, so that it becomes more and more instinctive.

Nope. You posted that first "stuff" as Wing Chun training that does NOT suck. You were wrong and now you are back peddeling trying to keep yourself from looking stupid.

If WC is so hard to get right how come they keep selling it as easy and practical for everyone to learn? Can't have it both ways.

Admit you were wrong, that is the first step to realizeing you are a dumbass and moveing on to a better reality.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 6:40pm

Style: Chinese martial arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Don't quote parables to us. Your first paragraph is garbage we all know this excuse and it has led to the problems in CMA.

There is no excuse for improper training. It does not matter if they are trying new things. If you don't know how to clinch, throw knees, roundhouses etc, you shouldn't be teaching it at all. If you choose to, you bring in an experienced person to do these things.

This is nothing new. An intermediate kickboxer would destroy these guys.

Actually we do.
    So, it is okay to change your **** to make it look like KB, MMA, and MT yet claim it is still the chun?
    This has been discussed to death. If it is to hard to accomplish under pressure then why waste your time learning the garbage?
    this is a good example of where your MMA mentality goes off the deep-end. who said anything about "changing **** to make it look like KB, MMA, and MT?" they are training for a competition, with rules...which modifies WC into a "ring sport." you do know MMA competitions have rules and is ultimately a sport, right?

at this point, there is no bridging the gap between my perspective and the perspective of the typical posters on this forum. you have to realize that when you put fighters of their respective arts under different situations/conditions, the results are going to change.

the reason people continue to train in CMA is because they see it as a lifestyle that not only teaches one to fight, but to better oneself, to acquire skills that develop a person to new levels, and for overall health. and in time, with real, persistant practice, it does work. WC guys have crossed hands with MMA fighters at my school and made them look pretty bad. no i don't have videos. and of course you can remain cynical if you'd like. in the past, i left a phone number and school address, and no one bit. in closing, i'll just reiterate by saying its not possible for our perspectives to see eye to eye, but there's always an open door invitation to my school. and with that said, there's no point to arguing about it anymore.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 6:40pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odaclaus
    It's a step off a cliff if the techniques are no use.
    Yep especially if the stuff is taught by an unqualified teacher. Then it is actually two steps back IMO.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast