221918 Bullies, 3924 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 104
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,773

    Posted On:
    12/16/2007 4:47pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alan Orr can be an ass. Thing is he has BJJ and catch wrestling on his website. He gets mild respect because he does compete.

    I don't agree with everything he says.
  2. DeadlyVenom7 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    491

    Posted On:
    12/16/2007 5:23pm


     Style: Chinese martial arts

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kung Fu IS skill that comes through hard work. i understand that the MMA mindset is to train in a way that is most natural to the fighter. there aren't a lot of skilled KF fighters compared to MMA fighters because, especially in todays world, its not worth all the time and work that comes with it. that's at least one reason...

    i purposely displayed this video, with all its flaws. it DOES look sloppy; many times, they AREN'T pulling the technique off. my intention was to point out that these guys are actually training, and not pretending. in other words, while many TMA schools stick with forms and very cooperative drills, these guys are exposing each others' weaknesses, and if the technique wasn't performed properly, they know it. they are not being deluded with a pretty, flowery, "kung fu dance"/ LARPing.

    they will continue to work on these drills at different speeds, with different people, along with other drills, so that it becomes more and more instinctive.

    if they wanted to resort to straight kickboxing, they'd dance back and forth. you punch, i punch; you kick, i kick. what they are training are WC principles: block and strike at the same time; close the gap, don't back away; interrupt and redirect attacks without fighting force with force; cut angles for superior positioning, where you can use all your weapons but the opponent's weapons are cut off.

    now most of you don't know about that, but it is very hard to do, and may i say, not as "natural." its got to be trained. but really, what's "natural" for the untrained is to cover up and/or swing wildly. MMA type training is obviously superior to that. but being skilled enough to apply WC in a fight and maintain those fine motor skills is admitedly really hard. these guys are on the right track with a lot of work to go.
  3. ty5 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North of the River Thames
    Posts
    384

    Posted On:
    12/16/2007 5:42pm


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do a search on my username and I have probably said the exact same things on this site or very similar.

    Wing chun is not a new style, it has been around for a while now and if there are still no practioners who can make it work under pressure then the question has to be asked when will it ever work? or is life too short and may as well move on to something that does not require 600 posts on a internet message board to try and proove it is effective.

    I take it you do Wing Chun then?
  4. Das Moose is offline
    Das Moose's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Belfast, NI
    Posts
    1,840

    Posted On:
    12/16/2007 5:43pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That begs the question - if applying WC in a fight is really hard, what's the point when you could just box?
  5. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,773

    Posted On:
    12/16/2007 5:45pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't quote parables to us. Your first paragraph is garbage we all know this excuse and it has led to the problems in CMA.

    There is no excuse for improper training. It does not matter if they are trying new things. If you don't know how to clinch, throw knees, roundhouses etc, you shouldn't be teaching it at all. If you choose to, you bring in an experienced person to do these things.

    if they wanted to resort to straight kickboxing, they'd dance back and forth. you punch, i punch; you kick, i kick. what they are training are WC principles: block and strike at the same time; close the gap, don't back away; interrupt and redirect attacks without fighting force with force; cut angles for superior positioning, where you can use all your weapons but the opponent's weapons are cut off.
    This is nothing new. An intermediate kickboxer would destroy these guys.


    now most of you don't know about that, but it is very hard to do, and may i say, not as "natural." its got to be trained. but really, what's "natural" for the untrained is to cover up and/or swing wildly. MMA type training is obviously superior to that. but being skilled enough to apply WC in a fight and maintain those fine motor skills is admitedly really hard. these guys are on the right track with a lot of work to go.
    Actually we do.
    So, it is okay to change your **** to make it look like KB, MMA, and MT yet claim it is still the chun?
    This has been discussed to death. If it is to hard to accomplish under pressure then why waste your time learning the garbage?
  6. EternalRage is offline
    EternalRage's Avatar

    WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    3,360

    Posted On:
    12/16/2007 5:48pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure. They put on equipment and are hitting each other, instead of doing sil lum tao all day or chi saoing their asses off. Fine, it's a step in the right direction. But a small step. A very small step.
  7. Odacon is offline
    Odacon's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,634

    Posted On:
    12/16/2007 6:08pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a step off a cliff if the techniques are no use.
  8. lionknight is offline
    lionknight's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wa
    Posts
    1,177

    Posted On:
    12/16/2007 6:34pm


     Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom7
    Kung Fu IS skill that comes through hard work. i understand that the MMA mindset is to train in a way that is most natural to the fighter. there aren't a lot of skilled KF fighters compared to MMA fighters because, especially in todays world, its not worth all the time and work that comes with it. that's at least one reason...

    i purposely displayed this video, with all its flaws. it DOES look sloppy; many times, they AREN'T pulling the technique off. my intention was to point out that these guys are actually training, and not pretending. in other words, while many TMA schools stick with forms and very cooperative drills, these guys are exposing each others' weaknesses, and if the technique wasn't performed properly, they know it. they are not being deluded with a pretty, flowery, "kung fu dance"/ LARPing.

    they will continue to work on these drills at different speeds, with different people, along with other drills, so that it becomes more and more instinctive.

    if they wanted to resort to straight kickboxing, they'd dance back and forth. you punch, i punch; you kick, i kick. what they are training are WC principles: block and strike at the same time; close the gap, don't back away; interrupt and redirect attacks without fighting force with force; cut angles for superior positioning, where you can use all your weapons but the opponent's weapons are cut off.

    now most of you don't know about that, but it is very hard to do, and may i say, not as "natural." its got to be trained. but really, what's "natural" for the untrained is to cover up and/or swing wildly. MMA type training is obviously superior to that. but being skilled enough to apply WC in a fight and maintain those fine motor skills is admitedly really hard. these guys are on the right track with a lot of work to go.
    Nope. You posted that first "stuff" as Wing Chun training that does NOT suck. You were wrong and now you are back peddeling trying to keep yourself from looking stupid.

    If WC is so hard to get right how come they keep selling it as easy and practical for everyone to learn? Can't have it both ways.

    Admit you were wrong, that is the first step to realizeing you are a dumbass and moveing on to a better reality.
  9. DeadlyVenom7 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    491

    Posted On:
    12/16/2007 6:40pm


     Style: Chinese martial arts

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Don't quote parables to us. Your first paragraph is garbage we all know this excuse and it has led to the problems in CMA.

    There is no excuse for improper training. It does not matter if they are trying new things. If you don't know how to clinch, throw knees, roundhouses etc, you shouldn't be teaching it at all. If you choose to, you bring in an experienced person to do these things.



    This is nothing new. An intermediate kickboxer would destroy these guys.


    Actually we do.
    So, it is okay to change your **** to make it look like KB, MMA, and MT yet claim it is still the chun?
    This has been discussed to death. If it is to hard to accomplish under pressure then why waste your time learning the garbage?
    this is a good example of where your MMA mentality goes off the deep-end. who said anything about "changing **** to make it look like KB, MMA, and MT?" they are training for a competition, with rules...which modifies WC into a "ring sport." you do know MMA competitions have rules and is ultimately a sport, right?

    at this point, there is no bridging the gap between my perspective and the perspective of the typical posters on this forum. you have to realize that when you put fighters of their respective arts under different situations/conditions, the results are going to change.

    the reason people continue to train in CMA is because they see it as a lifestyle that not only teaches one to fight, but to better oneself, to acquire skills that develop a person to new levels, and for overall health. and in time, with real, persistant practice, it does work. WC guys have crossed hands with MMA fighters at my school and made them look pretty bad. no i don't have videos. and of course you can remain cynical if you'd like. in the past, i left a phone number and school address, and no one bit. in closing, i'll just reiterate by saying its not possible for our perspectives to see eye to eye, but there's always an open door invitation to my school. and with that said, there's no point to arguing about it anymore.
  10. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,773

    Posted On:
    12/16/2007 6:40pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odaclaus
    It's a step off a cliff if the techniques are no use.
    Yep especially if the stuff is taught by an unqualified teacher. Then it is actually two steps back IMO.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.