Posted On:
    12/16/2007 3:21pm

Style: Chinese martial arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing Chun Training that doesn't suck

http://www.rabidgenius.com/training/

Check out in particular "Vs. Rushing"

puts WC technique under pressure, with real intent. the second practitioner does better than the first, but they also slow it down to work the proper technique.

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 3:40pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uh, that looked terrible.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 3:42pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, what were we looking for in that video?

I see someone trying to incorporate other styles (MT, KB,) with no real knowledge.

Do they have any competition videos with hard sparring?

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 3:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're from teh Cheung lineage. They stop the "rusher" as well as Cheung did way back when...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 4:11pm

Style: Chinese martial arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there's just no pleasing you guys. you'll play a bunch of bullshit videos of WC guys playing tag, "larping", or demonstrating a technique "perfectly" where the attacker is in complete cooperation with the defender, and you all bitch about how you can't apply WC in a real fight under real pressure. and yet here we have some PRACTICE drills where guys are pushing each other , trying to apply some techniques that are really hard to pull off without lots of practice and skill. the drills are training them to cut angles and block and strike at the same time, which is one major principle of WC.

the title of the thread is "Wing Chun TRAINING that doesn't suck." i didn't title the post "Wing Chun experts at practice." the practitioners in the video are at an intermediate level at best.

for the record, WC as long as i've known it, and as long as my instructors have known it, is a principle based art. now if you don't understand that or don't agree with it, that's for you to decide. incorporating knees does not turn it into MT. putting on gloves and gear doesn't make it KB. the art has to be able to adapt and modify itself, especially since they were training for a competition, with rules.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 4:12pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only Chun schools which I have come across who spar like that are the Cheung line ones.Not sure why schools from his 'lineage' take a more hard approach.

Looks awfull though, and not particulary effective, it is not just them though, that is how the sparring in my former chun class looked like (except this lot go at it harder).
    Last edited by ty5; 12/16/2007 4:14pm at .

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 4:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is the techniques they were using were awful. They were literally spazzing about.

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 4:19pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom7
    there's just no pleasing you guys. you'll play a bunch of bullshit videos of WC guys playing tag, "larping", or demonstrating a technique "perfectly" where the attacker is in complete cooperation with the defender, and you all bitch about how you can't apply WC in a real fight under real pressure. and yet here we have some PRACTICE drills where guys are pushing each other , trying to apply some techniques that are really hard to pull off without lots of practice and skill. the drills are training them to cut angles and block and strike at the same time, which is one major principle of WC.

the title of the thread is "Wing Chun TRAINING that doesn't suck." i didn't title the post "Wing Chun experts at practice." the practitioners in the video are at an intermediate level at best.

for the record, WC as long as i've known it, and as long as my instructors have known it, is a principle based art. now if you don't understand that or don't agree with it, that's for you to decide. incorporating knees does not turn it into MT. putting on gloves and gear doesn't make it KB. the art has to be able to adapt and modify itself, especially since they were training for a competition, with rules.
    Thats just it though... the training showen does SUCK. We have crappy boxing and then wing chun counters to crappy boxing. We have some of the wrost round house kicks I have ever seen and so on. Their was no real live training... I will give a little their because it looked like it was just drills... but if you want wing chun training that doesn't suck... that just was not it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 4:28pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom7
    Where was this training that doesn't suck? I saw no real pressure anywhere in any of those videos.

You know most of the videos here are of noobs at throw downs right? You know most of the critiques leveled are from people who are not experts right? Intermediate? Wow.

Apparently not.

All arts are principle based it is what you do with those principles and theories that make it effective.

My point is the knees exist in zero forms in WC. So, you had to take them from somewhere. The fact that you just sat here and tried to distance the clinch, the knees, and anything else from arts that use them is ridiculous.

That is why WC gets bashed. For every Alan Orr or someone that admits they add to WC, we have a billion zealots that say it is modified but we made it up ourselves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 4:34pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The impression I get is that Alan Orr thinks all the good stuff is in Wing Chun already though, which is why he keeps offering out other Wing Chun teachers who say that he does not have teh real wing chun and countering that it is in fact they who do not have teh real wing chun. At which point they usally run away, makes for interesting reading.

That is the striking part though, he freely admits that grappling is an extra catch wrestling/bjj addition.
    Last edited by ty5; 12/16/2007 4:36pm at .
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast