Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last

Thread: BJJ wannabes

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is a great MA. Go try out a Judo class when you can Necroyunus. You can always ask the instructor if you can concentrate on newaza (groundfighting) during or after class.

Sounds like you're making the best of your situation. I commend you for your effort and dedication.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the very least, you've got to find someone with SOME type of real grappling experience to train with. Even if it's a moderately skilled wrestler, BJJ blue belt, whatever. You can pick up some techniques out of a book, but if you just put two guys together that have only learned from books, you're going nowhere.

Style
    BJJ
    Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Merhaba arkadas!

Erm...thats about the extent of my Turkish. My father is from Istanbul, but I haven't quite got the language down yet. :icon_wink

If you're looking for training in Turkey, you could try contacting Burak Deger Bicer. He sent me a message on Facebook a while back, and apparently runs a Gracie Barra school, having got his belt (I don't remember him mentioning what rank, so I'm guessing either blue or purple as he's been training 3 years) from Helio Soneca. He also said there are three instructors in Turkey: his club happens to be in Istanbul:

Bujin Fight Club
    Etiler Camlik no 6
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Tel: +902122638580
    Instructor: Burak Ugur & Burak Değer Bicer
    Email: [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus
    What I want to ask you is?
    Is it possible for us (we at least have athletic builds,to not to be a loser ballet,we alwayss had our body strengthened.And we learn a few jiu jitsu tech's so we have the elasticity to apply them I think) to learn from a good quality book?
    Books/videos etc are supposed to supplement training, not form its basis - especially for beginners, its essential to have an instructor present. Unlike a DVD/book/video, they can correct your mistakes (which otherwise you'll continue making and thereby entrain bad habits) and modify their advice depending on your particular situation: bodytype, experience, strength etc. Not to mention you could potentially injure yourself and/or others if there isn't an experienced eye supervising.

That isn't to say DVDs/videos etc are useless, but I find they work best when you're refining what you already know. For example, say you can't quite remember how that scissor sweep went last night in class, YouTube might well have something to jog your memory. However, even when going down that route, your instructor (or failing that, a senior student who's willing to help out) should always be your first port of call. That's both for the reasons above and the fact that you're paying them to teach you, so it would make sense to get the most out of your investment.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slideyfoot
    Books/videos etc are supposed to supplement training, not form its basis - especially for beginners, its essential to have an instructor present. Unlike a DVD/book/video, they can correct your mistakes (which otherwise you'll continue making and thereby entrain bad habits) and modify their advice depending on your particular situation: bodytype, experience, strength etc. Not to mention you could potentially injure yourself and/or others if there isn't an experienced eye supervising.

That isn't to say DVDs/videos etc are useless, but I find they work best when you're refining what you already know. For example, say you can't quite remember how that scissor sweep went last night in class, YouTube might well have something to jog your memory. However, even when going down that route, your instructor (or failing that, a senior student who's willing to help out) should always be your first port of call. That's both for the reasons above and the fact that you're paying them to teach you, so it would make sense to get the most out of your investment.
    You need a tag that says, "Smartest BJJ noob ever"
    Shut the hell up and train.

Style
    Brazilian Jiujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got to Aesopians website, Jean Jacque Machado's, Youtube, whatever you can do and get to training like that. However, since there is a Soneca affiliate in Istanbul you should go there. Soneca is one of the best instrucotrs ever( according to most brazilian Black Belts I know). I also know some of his student sand tehyare always top notch. I

Style
    various cma's
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just wondering, you guys eat any turkey in well... um Turkey?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Way better than that:

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Delightful!

Style
    BJJ and MT at the moment
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I have never thought about enshin or ashihara karate.

I once thought of Kyokushin but it's a little bit far from my home.

But from my campus there is a training center 1 hour away.They work a system called (and its full contact) "Sayokan - Turkish martial arts system".

Maybe you heard it.It is a fighting system improved by Turks which includes grappling too.And I can say it's really tough.It also includes lots of culturel contents.The style,the musics,the titles etc.
    But as I said it's one hour away from my dormitory so thinking that I also have to take care of my lessons in my campus, I can't find enough time to go there and get back.
    (Also there are dormitory rules to.Got to get in before 11 pm.Piece of **** I say)

But thanks for guiding me.And especially for the link.You became really helpful. :)

With all respect...

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sayokan is this, presumably? I think my father mentioned it to me a while back: I'll have to ask him again tonight. From what I remember, it sounded like the founder had trained in a bunch of other martial arts, which he meshed together (presumably thats why various distinctly non-Turkish terms like 'sempai' and 'kata' crop up repeatedly, among others).

That would fit with what you said about it being "improved by Turks". The descriptions on the site I linked are a little random:

This is training for the shortest time (108 hours) period to learn strategic self-defence. In the shortest time to face real situation and succeed in defending yourself physically and mentally. If the person doesn't have high technical ability, this doesn't prevent application of Sayokan strategy. In the streets where many systems fall short, Sayokan is the assurance of self-defence and can be applied perfectly.
    In this system again, natural ability to respond is developed. Attacks of opponent are faced without carrying them into the thought level and pacified with natural reaction. Not opponents technical details but categorised character is brought forward. This way the effect of mass is broken.
    That may just be a translation issue, however, which would seem likely going by the competition rules bit:

4 - WARNINGS & PROHIBITIONS :
    1 - The punch, elbow and head strike to face.
    2 - The punch and kick to ridge.
    3 - The strike to testicle.
    4 - To hold and to pull from hairs.
    5 - Insult, bad language.

5 - FREE TECHNIQUES :
    1 - To hold is free from uniform while practising technique.
    2 - Techniques of Kick and knee are free to head.
    3 - Techniques of punchs, kicks and knees are free to body.
    4 - Low kick is free to legs.
    The 'Martial Arts Newbie Guide' seemed relatively sensible, from the little I read.

Few videos on the site too:

http://www.google.com/videoplay\?doc...57634231613382

And plenty comes up on YouTube if you search.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus
    I am studying in university in a city called "Sakarya" but my home is at Istanbul which I go at weekends.
    So is the BJJ club I mentioned above too far?

Bujin Fight Club
    Etiler Camlik no 6
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Tel: +902122638580
    Instructor: Burak Ugur & Burak Değer Bicer
    Email: [email protected]

Even if you can't train there, it may be worth your while to email Burak: I'm guessing he can probably recommend places to you rather better (assuming he's willing to help out), given that he teaches and trains in Turkey, unlike most of us on this thread. :icon_wink

Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last