Posted On:
    12/15/2007 5:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Golden Leopard

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

more than the site says.

http://www.lvshaolin.com/about_our_school.php

This school also teaches Hoola dancing. I swear I seen it myself.
    Oh yeah this kid who is a black belt in that school got into a slap fight with some regular non martial arts kid and the black belt got bitch slapped. Oh yeah and Hok Bok is such a Chinese word. He's a nice guy but, a mcdojo none the less.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2007 6:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well...O.K. Go to a better school.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/15/2007 6:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see any evidence of fraud or wrongdoing or bullshido or mcdojoism. I predict a move to YMAS.

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah.

Posted On:
    12/15/2007 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Buffalo Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have met and talked with the instructor of the school. McDojo? No. He promotes cross training, has different people come in for seminars, and has different instructors teaching different styles on a regular basis which his students are encouraged to attend.

Bullshido? From my experience, yes. I took a trial class while looking for a new wing chun school. The owner, Kevin, has no issue teaching a style he has very limited knowledge in and does have an alpha dog mentality. EDIT: Wing Chun is not their main style, just one of the other classes they offer.

Then there is also this clip of his "Free style" fighting class.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gLPfEeJQHQ

As for the other instructors/styles being tuaght. Don't know much about the escrima class, mantis or Shuai Chiao classes so I won't comment on them.

As for the hula dancing. Big ****. Kevin and his family are Hawaiian, don't crap on a guy for sharing his culture.
    Last edited by matzahbal; 12/16/2007 9:22am at .
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2007 9:15pm

Style: Hapkido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It appears to be a lovely little school. I doubt I'd like what they teach there, and that video matzahbal posted looks pretty ridiculous. But seriously, is this the best target you can come up with?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 6:35am

Style: brazillian jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This style is perfect for defending yourself from an attack by a poseable figurine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 12:56pm

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When they say "Free Fighting" that means they don't charge money for this right?

Infidel

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 1:02pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So another poster with no credibility calling **** on someone else?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Smoker
    http://www.lvshaolin.com/about_our_school.php

This school also teaches Hoola dancing. I swear I seen it myself.
    Oh yeah this kid who is a black belt in that school got into a slap fight with some regular non martial arts kid and the black belt got bitch slapped. Oh yeah and Hok Bok is such a Chinese word. He's a nice guy but, a mcdojo none the less.
    This guys I know, who's a black belt in this school, totally said that your mom is also your Aunt. He then got into a slap fight with your dad and your dad got totally sodomized by a pinecone.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 4:43pm

Style: *********

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So far I am not seeing the Bullshido. Even as far as the video my biggest problem is that they felt the need to tape it and put it on youtube. My biggest critique of the video is the over-reaction by the training partner and the technical sloppiness demonstrated.

Seriously I have used drills like that. They come in very handy for teaching things like body and head stomps as well as eye-gouges and throat strikes(admittedly not deadly but great for oppening space). From a purely scientific and biomechanical perspective, such drills are an excellent way to embed certain manuevers into muscle memory given two key factors. The wanted techniques are drilled the requisite 10,000+ times AND(this is key) live full speed drills and sparring also occur frequently enough for the trainee to be able get a good sense of timing and other things that only come from actually doing it. However at full speed you do need some sort of rule set(even if its MMA/UFC rule set) to prevent unnecessary injuries.

It is like Tiger Woods taking hundreds of thousands ultra slow speed swings with his various clubs to develop muscle memory of perfect technique. If that was all he did, he wouldn't be a champ. However, because he goes out to the driving range and competes regularly those thousands of ultra-slow swings give him an edge.

As a final note, sport science and biomechanical experts say this type of training for contact sports(aka boxing, wrestling, etc) should only comprise 10-15% of training. 20% as an absolute max.

So my question would be, how much of the training does this kind of free-fight comprise? What level of students are we witnessing here? How are the other MA classes like escrima run? Does it cost more to take the other classes offered? Does the guy have a legit lineage?

Alfa-male and willingness to teach things that he has limited experience in does not make Bullshido. It may make for bad training methodology and general assholism, but in that case move on. For instance I teach PraMek. I have no instructor's cert in PraMek, however I have trained in it. I do not claim to be an instructor, I do not take money, and I openly admit that I will rely on my ROSS(which I do have a cert in) training to fill in gaps in my current knowledge until I can gain more. Does that make me Bullshido, or fraud? No, it means I like training in PraMek, and I am willing to bring training partners/students to my level so that I can train and grow in the art. Can you prove that this is not what this guy is doing?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast