222007 Bullies, 3880 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 111 to 117 of 117
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. melk is offline
    melk's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    511

    Posted On:
    12/19/2007 4:48pm


     Style: *********

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson
    Dwight McLemore's work in this area is top-notch, as is that of some of his students such as Steve Huff.

    The problem with the Bowie is there's no real recorded "system" and if there's any actual living lineage folks going back to the Bowie Salles of N.O. they're keeping darn quiet about it. The best work seems to be taking other Sword and Knife systems concurent to the era of the Bowie (such as Military Saber and Navaja) and applying them to the knife. From what evidence we have, this seems to be what the practictioners of the time actually did.

    Much the same can be said of Tomahawk. Just not a lot written down about how it was used. Snippets here and there and no one who's legit who claims to be from an unbroken living lineage stretching back to the Longhunters.


    OK, I see your point here. Perhaps that would be good to add.

    [ed]
    But to be honest, someone who doesn't agree with the work (for whatever reason) will find it easy to dismiss my credentials, whatever they may be. I had an argument with some fella over on rec.sport.boxing on the Classic Boxing use/definition of a "Cross Counter" as an actual single-time counter-punch which crosses over the opponent's incoming punch which you've slipped. I pointed out Donnelly and Dempsey's books and the guy just plain dismissed it saying that, obviously, Dempsey didn't know what he was doing and was more or less "cheating" by using a slow punching goob who didn't know what he was doing either.

    DEMPSEY?!?! He dismissed *DEMPSEY*?!?! He didn't WANT to believe what an old style Cross-Counter was (or just didn't want to lose an argument) and was more than willing to dismiss Jack Dempsey's cred., much less mine.
    Thanks for the info on Bowi and Tomahawk.

    I understand what you are saying about dismissal. Honestly I have heard the same thing regarding some of my older Sambo manuals. Ochshepkov didn't know what he was doing(well I hope he did as he founded the system). In those cases ignorance will out. However, with those who are actually interested but cautious, to hear that the author has serious experience in grappling and striking arts(while not claiming to be be a 20 time death match champion) will be both refreshing and help to give a certain level of credibility.
  2. lklawson is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964

    Posted On:
    12/19/2007 4:58pm


     Style: Bowie

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by melk
    I understand what you are saying about dismissal. Honestly I have heard the same thing regarding some of my older Sambo manuals. Ochshepkov didn't know what he was doing(well I hope he did as he founded the system). In those cases ignorance will out. However, with those who are actually interested but cautious, to hear that the author has serious experience in grappling and striking arts(while not claiming to be be a 20 time death match champion) will be both refreshing and help to give a certain level of credibility.
    Good point. I'm seriously considering it. It's true that I don't like to toot my own horn (there are just too many folks who can kick my butt to get by with that and since I'm not getting any younger, ther e seems to be more rather than fewer as the years go by).

    Still, your suggestion seems reasonable, gives a good "snapshot" of me as an author/practicioner, and doesn't come off as over the top.

    I like your wording.
    "The Author is a Martial Artist with 25yrs of experience in various striking and grappling arts, both Western and Eastern as well as an avid MA historian."
    May I use it?
  3. melk is offline
    melk's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    511

    Posted On:
    12/19/2007 5:00pm


     Style: *********

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson
    Good point. I'm seriously considering it. It's true that I don't like to toot my own horn (there are just too many folks who can kick my butt to get by with that and since I'm not getting any younger, ther e seems to be more rather than fewer as the years go by).

    Still, your suggestion seems reasonable, gives a good "snapshot" of me as an author/practicioner, and doesn't come off as over the top.

    I like your wording. May I use it?
    Feel free.
  4. DdlR is offline
    DdlR's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,765

    Posted On:
    12/19/2007 5:09pm

    supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Melk, this is slightly off-topic but I've taken bowie and tomahawk classes with Steve Huff (Dwight McLemore's student) and would strongly recommend them to anyone who is seriously interested in these weapons. Col. McLemore himself has some good books out on these subjects - http://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Tomah.../dp/1581604416 and http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Bowie...8102056&sr=1-1 .
  5. Roidie McDouchebag is offline
    Roidie McDouchebag's Avatar

    Injury Waiting To Happen

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Kamloops, BC
    Posts
    9,419

    Posted On:
    12/19/2007 5:22pm

    supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
  6. lklawson is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964

    Posted On:
    12/19/2007 9:10pm


     Style: Bowie

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MangaClaus
    I want to back Craig up on this - all the research I've seen from Kirk (I haven't had the chance totrain with him) has been top-notch. He's done a great deal of work, much of it freely given out to whomever wants it, and many of us who study historical martial arts have benefited from it.
    Thank you Gentlemen, both of you, for your kind words.

    We stand on the shoulders of giants, as it were.
  7. lklawson is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964

    Posted On:
    12/21/2007 8:22am


     Style: Bowie

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Letum
    I will be buying a copy, if it's available to the UK.
    That reminds me, if you can't get delivery to the UK, send me an e-mail at lawson@dayton.net and we'll figure out a way to ship you one. I've sent to the UK before, personally, without much problem.

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.