Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 2:08pm

Style: Aikido and other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kiaiki
    I think I meant roughly the same thing. We were drilled to perform Kihon Dosa exactly the same as everyone else. Once the Sensei was confident in our performance, we were allowed just minor changes to suit our physique- depth of stance etc. The shittiness comes if we then teach that way, rather than stick rigidly to the original. One of the worst 'offences' is allowing the arms to go too wide, thereby losing most of the power behind the moves.

It was often tested in pairs with some resistance and that sure picked up any bad pasture or balance. Even Taino Henko Ichi can knock down a floor standing punchbag if done with the right hand giving a palm strike.
    Ah, ok, that makes sense. I agree with the resistance thing....really identifies the weakness in the kihon and body connection.

I just don;t get why people don;t get it. I guess it's the same with all aikido styles. I've trained with some impressive aikikai fellows, and lot who didn't impress me at all (too many cupcakes in the dojo). And I've seen a lot of Iwama stuff that was good, and bunch that was garbage. Same with Yoshinkan, though it's painful to go train with people who have no idea what good aikido looks like, and are too dense to figure out that what they're doing is trash. Ahh, the glorious state of aikido these days. No wonder it gets mangled on sites like this.

Still, I agree to an extent with kiaiki. Hard training and hard hitting and hard throwing are where it's at for aikido. So I pretty much dismiss anything that isn't doing that as garbage. Not that yoshinkan has a monopoly on hard training, but in my 14 years of training (in Canada, US, Japan) I've noticed we tend to fit that bill more than other groups. Like I said, though, I've met some like-minded ppl from aikikai and Iwama who were pretty hard.

Infidel

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 2:52pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey all,

Thanks for the the info (especially video's DCS). Very interesting and informative.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 12:42am

Style: Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 12:59am

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But but but.... why is Mr Black Belt bullying a Compliant White Belt?

GMW

Infidel

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 4:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aweeee ****. BJJ AND AIKIDO!

This just in, BJJ nutriders have been killing themselves in record numbers!
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 5:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And thank god the clip where an aikido guy was schooling a BJJ'er was taken out from youtube. That was bad for the business.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 1:24pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAB MY WRIST
    But but but.... why is Mr Black Belt bullying a Compliant White Belt?

GMW
    I've heard Roy Dean is too deadly to spar!

Well actually, I didn't hear that, I just made it up.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Infidel

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 2:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    And thank god the clip where an aikido guy was schooling a BJJ'er was taken out from youtube. That was bad for the business.
    Most people think their donations go to paying for the server, not true.

All donations go into a fund where upon when a video depicting credable aikido pops up on youtube, bullshido inforcers are bought plane tickets and sent to offending persons home and forced to delete said video from youtube.

True story.
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718