Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 5:54pm

Style: Aikido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Aikido vs. Y2K

I saw this on AikiWeb and LOLed. The topic was titled, "Would you kill someone using aikido if you had to", which I find a pretty hilarious choice of discussion topic.

"Kevin,
    Thanks greatly for the insight into the mind of a professional warrior (if I may be permitted to use that term). Perhaps I should have stated the question as "If you had no other choice, would you use aikido.......
    As someone once said..."Prepare for war, pray for peace". It makes one ponder the "what ifs" of a society. If I can be retrospective for a moment. At the turning of the new millennium, I was asked to spend New Years Eve at the house of some very good friends. I was asked to be there because one of the friends stated to me that if anything was to go wrong (everyone remembers the Y2K scare) he knew that I wouldn't hesitate to do certain things if the chips were down. He is licensed to carry and train in Canada as well as several US states. I knew that he had what was essentially an armory in his house, including edged weapons. It frightened me at first, but only for a moment. I was very, very happy that Y2K was only a scare."
    I have to say, it seems like a perfect illustration of the delusional "I IZ MODERN SAMURAI WARRIOR" mindset.
    Last edited by PSanderson; 12/14/2007 5:59pm at .

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 6:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Link?

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 7:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 8:06pm

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF does he mean by Y2K? The year 2000? :|

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 9:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The question should be: "Could you kill someone using aikido if you had to", which the answer is a resounding no.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/15/2007 4:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Jits with hits.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AikiWeb is a good for a laugh from time to time. Searching BJJ on their forums can lead to some hilarity. Many of the posters over there seem knowledgeable and understand that Aikido vs. BJJ is a dumb concept, as the training and focus is different. There are some, however, that seem very interested in how to use Aikido to beat Jiu Jitsu.

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...ight=brazilian

Posted On:
    12/15/2007 4:18am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugilist
    AikiWeb is a good for a laugh from time to time. Searching BJJ on their forums can lead to some hilarity. Many of the posters over there seem knowledgeable and understand that Aikido vs. BJJ is a dumb concept, as the training and focus is different. There are some, however, that seem very interested in how to use Aikido to beat Jiu Jitsu.

From the link:

Lightbulb Aikido Vs. Jujitsu (brazilian)
    Its one of the favorite topic in our DOJO. What can an AIKIDOKA do with a BRAZILIAN JUJITSU practioner?

My opinion (READ: OPINION) Technique wise Aikido is really rich compared to the B Jujitsu. It will be hard for a B Jujitsu to tackle down a well versed AIKIDOKA.

I have tried to spar with a B. Jujitsu practioner and has indeed proven this. He tried many times to knock me down and he just could not get a hold on me. I simply blended with him and he always end up in the mat. He asked me numerous times did you trip me? I said no. On the ground with the B Jujitsu on top of me ( We started with me lying down) I was able to do both IKKYO and NIKKYO on one of the hands holding me down. Once I have done this I just rolled over still holding his hand. We ended up with me in the kneeling position while the guy is on the floor still PINNED.

With my back on the mat, I learned that an Aikidoka should be aware of the following things:

1. The punches - with your back on the mat it will be hard to parry it, one should be fast to apply the locks. faster than the punches. Try not to keep his head close to yours if you want to avoid the punches. See number 3
    2. The leg locks - don't let them do this.
    3. The hold that makes your head closer to his - I had a hard time applying the locks under this position. I pushed his head first then applied the lock.
    4. If all things fail in real life don't forget to gouge the eyes and bite into their ears or any part of the body for the matter.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/15/2007 5:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Jits with hits.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some posters respond with the common sense answer, train jiu-jitsu or some other grappling/sport oriented MA.

Others seem very paranoid to me, Why are all these Aikido-ka getting attacked by BJJ guys...

Infidel

Posted On:
    12/15/2007 12:49pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've used aikido to save someones life. Samurai got nothing on me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2007 1:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I once killed a man using two wet tea bags
Page 1 of 18 1 234511 ... LastLast