and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training / Nutrition Books

So I've got a lot more free time nowdays...

Recommend me your fav workout books.

I have that one
    <----
    already, and his practical programming book. Read dino training, the swarzcheneger bodybuilding bible, a few 101 level nutrition books, and a pile of crap that makes mens health articles look like university studies. (that $5 pile in front of barns and nobles only LOOKS like good reading)

Bonus points: Is the ACSM book kit worth the cost (up to date good info) if I'm never going to bother getting certified?
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 5:59pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ross Enamait's books would be on the top of my list.

NorCal's Peformance Menu is a PDF-based magazine. You should subscribe to it if you get the chance: http://www.norcalsc.com/pmenu/index.php

Oxygen Magazine: It's a chick's fitness magazine, which my g/f loves to read. It's actually quite good with exercises, injury prevention and a good selection of healthy recipes. Much, much better quality than the crap published in mens' health or IronMan. "Fitness & Physique" is a decent mag to read.

Planet Muscle is so-so. Can't think of anything else.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 6:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Super Squats
    Kelso's Shrug Book
    Beyond Bodybuilding
    Every single article on Elitefts.com
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 9:18pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been eying Kelso's Shrug Book. Care to elaborate on its awesomeness, Emevas?

My favorite recent read was Gray Cook's The Athletic Body in Balance. It has loads of self-assessment tests for strength and flexibility, then exercise recommendations for fixing any shortcomings that turn up during the assessments. I had no idea how tight my hams had gotten until I went through this book. The table of contents and many example passages are available via Google Books (first link if you google the title).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I completely agree with you on Starting Strength. Great stuff.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 9:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kelso's Shrug Book is a cheap read (like everything from Ironmind) that contains great assistance exercises for the bench and deadlift, detailing great ways to train the rear delts along with the traps in manners that are very applicable to power training. His stuff on trap bar movements are nice if you have access to one, and he talks about rip cage expansion, which is a nice addition to super squats.

If you have an extra $15, pick it up. The same doesn't neccesarily apply to his "Powerlifting Basics: Texas Style", a fun read, but not very informative.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 10:06pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like New Rules of Lifting, by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove. The meat and potatos of the book is the modular workout program in the back. Its about the closest thing to have a personally designed, periodized program possible.

There are a three different periods for three different goals - Fat Burning, Hypertrophy and Strength, plus a Break In period.

You pick whichever period you want for your goals at the time, then do it. Each period lasts between 4 and 8 weeks, depending on how many times a week you do them. After each period, you take a recovery week, then pick any other period you want, as long as its not the same one you just completed.

So you could do Fat Loss II, Fat Loss III, Hypertropy II, then Strength I for instance.

The periods themselves are based around 6 key compound movements - Pulling, Pushing, Twisting, Lunging, Squating, and Deadlifting.

Really good - especially for beginners, people who have been away from working out for a while, and intermediate lifters who are at a long plateau after using a single workout strategy for too long. Also can be used for advanced lifters, although thats clearly not the target audience (which the introduction clearly states).

P.S. Got and read Never Gymless on Teh El Macho's recommendation and its tremendous. Also have Starting Strength and Practical Programming on the way based on Pirate Jon's many recommendations. Will get Infinite Intensity next.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/15/2007 12:09pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good stuff guys!

Emevas - I had forgtten about beyond BBing. Good call. and I save the fts online stuff for slow days at work.

Macho - that PDF mag looks veeery nice! Im getting that now. everyone else - check the sample issue. http://www.performancemenu.com/freei...ds/issue27.pdf
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 8:44pm

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Supertraining by Mel Siff

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 3:23pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    good stuff guys!

Emevas - I had forgtten about beyond BBing. Good call. and I save the fts online stuff for slow days at work.

Macho - that PDF mag looks veeery nice! Im getting that now. everyone else - check the sample issue. http://www.performancemenu.com/freei...ds/issue27.pdf
    Hehe, I'm glad you liked that PDF mag. It's pretty neat. Oh, btw, last night I bought another book (in addition to the latest ed of Oxygen). It's a good book, and I strongly recommend it:

Brad Walker's "Anatomy of Stretching"

Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris