Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 4:25am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We always do relay races at the end of the kids BJJ classes I help teach.

Split the class into equal groups and have them all line up. Then each member of the team, in turn, has to run down the hall and back to tag the next member. Next time it's bear walk up the mat and low crawl back the other way, then forward roll up and bear walk back... keep mixing it up.

To win, the people who aren't running have to sit in line and the first team to finish and all sit in line wins.

If we just get them to run around or do exercises they always end up messing around, but when they're racing each other they make sure they give it their best.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 8:11am

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobT
    We always do relay races at the end of the kids BJJ classes I help teach.

Split the class into equal groups and have them all line up. Then each member of the team, in turn, has to run down the hall and back to tag the next member. Next time it's bear walk up the mat and low crawl back the other way, then forward roll up and bear walk back... keep mixing it up.

To win, the people who aren't running have to sit in line and the first team to finish and all sit in line wins.

If we just get them to run around or do exercises they always end up messing around, but when they're racing each other they make sure they give it their best.
    I like the relay races bit. That's a sound way to get kids to participate, and it keeps them interested.

Our games just work better first thing in class. I don't know why this is, it just is. Also, the kids have to attend, so I'm not worried about them coming back, just keeping them interested. It's worked well the last few days that I've done it, and as long as it doesn't stagnate, I'm good with the current schedule.

We're on concrete (poor school, no mats) so I don't think wrestling is a great idea unless I move them on the mats, plus I don't think there is even a wrestling team in Tallahassee, so no one I know is going to be able to help their poor little souls.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 8:53am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like your medicine ball drills! Might have to shamelessly steal that!

We do this with adults, but it might worth with your age group - put two people back to back and have them pass the medicine ball back and forth around themselves. There's a lot of twisting, and it gets really tough if you try to do it quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril
    We're on concrete (poor school, no mats) so I don't think wrestling is a great idea unless I move them on the mats, plus I don't think there is even a wrestling team in Tallahassee, so no one I know is going to be able to help their poor little souls.
    Hmmm, I was about to write down a bunch of the games our kids do, but most of them require a matted floor. Here are a few suggestions though:

Get each kid to take a partner on piggy back. Then, with hands against the wall, they do squats. Our kids do this - the little ones do like 2 squats, the older ones do ten.

Set up an obstacle course - use kick shields, hanging heavy bags, skipping ropes, whatever you have. Have them run through it forwards, backwards, blindfolded with team members shouting instructions, crawling, hopping on one foot, whatever you like.

If they are getting out of hand and you need to tone it down a bit, try some pilates moves. See who can hold a plank the longest without putting their knees down. There is also a V-sit, with bum on the floor, legs straight out at a 45 deg angle, body up at a 45 deg angle, hands pointing towards the feet. They'll think it's easy, but it can be very challenging and is great for core strength.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 9:17am

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dodgeball. My kids enjoy it.

Also occasionally I have mine jog in a circle around the hall when I call out ear, elbow etc they have to stop and place the appropriate body part on the floor. This can be good as they have to pay attention and remain quiet. It's also a good way of reminding them that they have to follow instructions. You can vary it by calling out exrecises such as push ups or sit ups. I find this good as it focuses them and keeps them quiet.

Hope this is useful?!

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 9:27am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It might be abit hard for TKD. We did loads of really good ones in judo: british bulldog, king of the hill etc. How about TAG but only allowed to use your feet?, or murderball. Its like football/soccer *shudder* but you are encouraged to foul them, we often used this as a warm up in karate.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 9:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: isshin ryu\Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We use Sumo as a game in Judo. Just use some tape to make a circle and have them push pull and throw eachother. We also use tag but the vaiation is that "it" has to grab and untie the other kids belt then pull the belt away.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 10:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroChick
    I like your medicine ball drills! Might have to shamelessly steal that!

We do this with adults, but it might worth with your age group - put two people back to back and have them pass the medicine ball back and forth around themselves. There's a lot of twisting, and it gets really tough if you try to do it quickly.
    This one will be awesome in the group. Medicine balls are definitely the way to go with kids. They're lightweight, and the kids can identify with handling them. The modified drill I'm think of doing with this one is have them all (invisible chair) sit with their backs towards the center of a circle and pass a medicine ball as fast as they can. Three full cycles will constitute a round, and you can time it. Make them beat their best score.

Let them rest in between cycles, so they don't complain about their legs.

Alternative game: have instructor call out switch and make the ball switch directions and start making it circulate the other way. Of course, in case of ball drops, have one student run around the circle, trying to keep up with the ball, preferably whomever is responsible for the drop. Should they get the ball, switch places with another student. Modified duck duck goose?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 10:21am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, the fun you can have with medicine balls! How many do you have? We've got enough to have one for every two kids, so they do a lot of partner drills. They can toss them back and forth (hand back and forth if they're new at it), stand back to back and pass in circles like I already mentioned, or do an over and under drill (stand back to back and pass first through the legs, then over the head). If each student has a ball, get them to do push ups with either one hand or both hands on the ball (when they can do that, let them alternate first pushup with left hand on the ball, then switch and pushup with right hand on the ball). That get's killer fast, but they'll like it because it looks tough.

If you don't have enough to go around, do a caterpillar drill - they all stand in a line facing the same direction and hand the ball back - over head, then through legs, than over head, etc. Last one with the ball runs to the front of the line (or crawls through legs pushing the ball in front of him, if you're evil) and starts the process again. This could easily be done with two teams in a competition style.

We play Sumo too, and it might work for you with no mats if you just don't allow throws. Two kids face each other and grasp hands (interlock fingers), then try to push each other across designated lines.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 10:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    15 kids, two medicine balls, some pads, a backpack, and a skipping rope.

We're on a tight budget.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 11:12am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another one kids like and would work in TKD: make two teams. Get them in lines in horse stances. The kid in back has to crawl under the other kids (between their legs) until he becomes the kid in front. Then the next kid in back goes. The two lines see who can be the first to cross the floor.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast