Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2007 9:48pm

Style: Muay Thai/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Punching car tires

Yesterday I was at muay thai, and shortly after I was told to tuck my elbows in more with my cross, I was told that I need to hit the car tires more.

What does this actually do and how is it different from a punching bag?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 12:33am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have seen this in FMA, but that's because the same targets are very useful for sticks and such.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 7:46am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess its for more conditioning, theres some flex in them so you shouldnt injure yourself to much. But I imagine it will break the top skin. Either that or it will expose the weaknesses in your technique more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 9:15am

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've kicked tires in muay thai and honestly am not sure what the difference would be between that and kicking a bag. I've always assumed it was a "tradition" that stemmed from training methods developed in poorer countries where tires would have been more readily available than heavy bags.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 9:24am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenBeakFist
    I've kicked tires in muay thai and honestly am not sure what the difference would be between that and kicking a bag. I've always assumed it was a "tradition" that stemmed from training methods developed in poorer countries where tires would have been more readily available than heavy bags.
    yes, i experienced the same when i went to thailand to train. we used tires a couple of different ways: two were bolted to the sides of a pillar and were used for roundhouse kicks, and a few more were laid down on the ground and were used for various footwork drills.

i found kicking them to be tougher than kicking the heavy bags, and the footwork drills using the tires were great. never saw anyone punch them, however.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 9:25am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is. Bald tires are cheaper and far more plentiful than quality heavy bags.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 1:21pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius
    It is. Bald tires are cheaper and far more plentiful than quality heavy bags.
    I know people use tires for escrima/arnis/kail training. If you know anyone who works at a auto shop or tire place see if you can get old tires from them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 1:25pm

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use the pell for smacking with weapons mostly, but they work GREAT for exercising your grip in a reaching/snatching motion. Grab from the front, fingers on one side, thumb on the other ... clawlike? Good work for the grip and achieving a fast hard grip in a striking motion. Do this forehand and backhand.
    For punching I've found the spring to be a bit too random for wrist safety, the hanging heavy bag feels safer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 9:07pm

Style: Muay Thai/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These were like...two normal car tires (with the grooves and everything) stacked on top of each other and hung from the ceiling like a heavy bag, only the bottom of the two tires was around the height of my collarbone.

Y'know, I get the feeling he just told me to punch them to wear out my bag gloves. I just got them last year and they still look brand new. It's not my fault they're good quality, right?

The one difference I felt was that it would bounce my fist back when I punched it, possibly sending a more exaggerated, but less damaging jolt through my joints if I hit it with bad technique, as opposed to just putting shock and strain into my shoulders.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 9:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tai chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did it extensively for karate for a year; cuts the skin on your hands and elbows and knees everytime, but takes all the force you can give. Bring wound tape and prepare to bleed.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast