Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/31/2008 3:59am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mymymy
    Selfcritical,

You take what Katesmash says is true, it very well may be, but you will never make it as a Bullshido Martial Arts Investigator if you roll over and play dead ... I 'm sure Lee Harvey Oswald said he did not shoot Kennedy ... why not ask the obvious questions?

1) What is Mr. Meehan's previous last name? Don't you want to check out his "real" name with the "several" martial arts schools he ran?

2) Where and when did Mr. Meehan get his masters in anatomy?

3) What are the names of the several martial arts schools that Mr Meehan ran , where are they loacted, and when did Mr. Meehan run these schools?

Katesmash,

Do you mind answering these questions for Mr Meehan?
    Kate is at least a nominal friend of mine, so my desire to be a dick about it is low. Also, me and Nazsir were planning on going after he competes in Winter Wars (a BJJ comp). He didn't want to risk getting injured during the workout before then.

Posted On:
    3/01/2008 11:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SelfCritical,

You are stuck between a rock and hard place ... with "Kate ... a nominal friend".

So a month goes by and no response from Meehans. Maybe the Meehans have not seen the new questions or maybe the questions are too personal ...

Katesmash,

How about just answering just this REASONABLE question:

3) What are the names of the several martial arts schools that Mr Meehan ran , where are they located, and when did Mr. Meehan run these schools?

Posted On:
    10/22/2011 10:43am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. I haven't been following this thread at all.

Brent owned and operated the Physical Storm chain and one other school (I forget its name) in Florida. He sold the franchise about fifteen years ago.

He started his training when he was about five, and rather than training after school like most, he was sent to live and train in schools. He trained across the US and abroad, living either with his senseis or in the broom closets of the dojo. He can provide you better details than I can.

We closed the school for two reasons: we have two very young children and Brent started doing a bunch of work on film VFX. Maintaining that sort of commitment to a number of athletes became complicated, but he continues to provide special training to people who are preparing for something big (for example, he's working with a group of full-contact Viking reenactors right now).

He's had a number of last names. Sometimes he doesn't use them at all. Even I don't know all the ones he's used. Needless to say, the underground martial arts world in south florida in the 80s and 90s demanded some element of ambiguity.

He went to one of the Florida Universities - Florida State, I think.

Regardless, had any of you shown up for a workout, I think the whole debate would be moot. Anyone who actually meets or spars with Brent learns pretty quickly that he's not bullshit. Google-fu can only bring you so much information, and that is only the information that individuals put on the internet.

If you have further questions, I suggest contacting him directly. icankickyourbutt at gmail (I created the account) will get him. For a forum that includes martial artists, I'm fairly surprised by the armchair philosophizing and inaction. If you have a genuine concern about the legitimacy of someone's ability or credibility, I would think that one of the first steps would be to go speak with the person or view their activities first hand, rather than expecting the internet to provide you with an opinion.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/22/2011 11:37am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "At present, all programs are led by Stephen Brent Meehan, who holds seventeen black belts, including a sixth-degree black belt in Kenpo, Fourth Degree black belt in Taekwondo, Second degree black belt in Aikido, Shao-Lin styles (including long fist), Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai and others. He is a former competitive fighter, and is currently a stunt coordinator and producer for independent films in Austin, Texas."
    He uses a number of last names? So many you can't remember? Don't mix skill at sparring with poor to non-existent credentials.

So, three years later you have nothing to add but, "I think," "I'm not sure," and go spar? Welcome back. MABS is different and unless you have pertinent information to add do not post in this thread again.

I will be banning your old account.

Underground scene in the 80's and 90's? Did you just allude to Bloodsport as a reason? Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by katesmash2 View Post
    Wow. I haven't been following this thread at all.

Brent owned and operated the Physical Storm chain and one other school (I forget its name) in Florida. He sold the franchise about fifteen years ago.

He started his training when he was about five, and rather than training after school like most, he was sent to live and train in schools. He trained across the US and abroad, living either with his senseis or in the broom closets of the dojo. He can provide you better details than I can.

We closed the school for two reasons: we have two very young children and Brent started doing a bunch of work on film VFX. Maintaining that sort of commitment to a number of athletes became complicated, but he continues to provide special training to people who are preparing for something big (for example, he's working with a group of full-contact Viking reenactors right now).

He's had a number of last names. Sometimes he doesn't use them at all. Even I don't know all the ones he's used. Needless to say, the underground martial arts world in south florida in the 80s and 90s demanded some element of ambiguity.

He went to one of the Florida Universities - Florida State, I think.

Regardless, had any of you shown up for a workout, I think the whole debate would be moot. Anyone who actually meets or spars with Brent learns pretty quickly that he's not bullshit. Google-fu can only bring you so much information, and that is only the information that individuals put on the internet.

If you have further questions, I suggest contacting him directly. icankickyourbutt at gmail (I created the account) will get him. For a forum that includes martial artists, I'm fairly surprised by the armchair philosophizing and inaction. If you have a genuine concern about the legitimacy of someone's ability or credibility, I would think that one of the first steps would be to go speak with the person or view their activities first hand, rather than expecting the internet to provide you with an opinion.
    Three years later, zero contact from either of you, and multiple TD's in your area and you say "armchair philosophizing and inaction." I hope you see the irony in your statement.

Oh and sparring has zero to do with claims of 17 Blackbelts.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 10/22/2011 11:42am at .
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345