Wait, it's closed, like when you drive by it it's cleared out and nobody comes in to do workouts anymore? They just had a big seminar there a couple of months ago. Like, closed closed? I know sometimes when sifus in our family move, they have students run the school as a "club".
Ack! I'm out of the loop! :P Oh well, carry on then with Mr. Meehan.
Austin Books uses it now to store it's mind-boggling back-issue selection.
I'm not sure where his students are working out now; they seemed pretty highly motivated, so i'm sure they're keeping up study at least. I should probably just ask him for some contact info on the rest and see if they want to use our gymspace on off-nights or something.
Thanks for the reply. If you have an e-mail or something, I would like to put him on our mailing list. Or he can just shoot me an e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hi, all. Kate Meehan here. Thought I'd clarify a few things:
1. The muai thai/black belt thing is exactly what happens when you let your wife write up the text for your website and don't double-check the wording.
2. Brent took my last name, so it is highly unlikely you will find anything relevant by googling him. In fact, relying on google to inform you of a person's martial arts/training ability is generally a bad idea.
3. Brent has a masters in Anatomy, worked in an ER, and has run several martial arts schools around the country. Action Hero Insitute is in response to several individuals asking him to train them personally, which is why it is not advertised save for word of mouth, and not all attendees are allowed to participate. The work we do is hard.
4. I am not a kickboxer, I'm an actress, producer, and educator. My role in the gym, aside from getting my ass kicked at the workouts, is to provide acting training within the stunt program. My educational foci are movement, stage combat, and physical comedy. I have worked in the field for 22 years in all capacities.
5. This thread's been around awhile. How come we haven't seen you at the gym? The workout is assembled each day for the individual participants (athletes, martial artists, and other general humans), and pulls Brent's thirty years of physical training and martial arts experience with dozens of senseis around the world. Come on down, and if you've got questions about the workout, school, or todimushin, Opal Divine's is right around the corner for a beer.
Mostly because Nazsir has a Lat injury and i'm dependent on him for timely transport. JNP has a wife and kids, so the coordination has been an issue. I think i've figured out a bus route, so we'll see if I can get there. What are holiday hours like?
Brent and I are out of town for the holidays. Workouts resume on Thursday, but will be self-led.
Brent will be back leading workouts/teaching after the first of the year, on Wednesday.
Hope to see you there!
Originally Posted by katesmash
Just to clarify, the main thing that threw people off is that BJJ black belts are considerably rarer than for example, Kempo or Karate black belts. People very rarely get their BJJ black belts in under a decade, and most of them are publicly recorded(and it's very easy to find who awarded what to whom) . Further, there are only so many people with that rank-conferring ability in texas, so it was kinda weird not having someone know who he is.
Knowing that he moved in from out of town and had a name change makes that significantly less weird.
Just a few more quick questions? It get the impression that the predominant martial arts influence is kempo for the Todimushin class? Would you say that the vast majority of the instruction as far as martial arts goes is the standup striking and weapons work?
You take what Katesmash says is true, it very well may be, but you will never make it as a Bullshido Martial Arts Investigator if you roll over and play dead ... I 'm sure Lee Harvey Oswald said he did not shoot Kennedy ... why not ask the obvious questions?
1) What is Mr. Meehan's previous last name? Don't you want to check out his "real" name with the "several" martial arts schools he ran?
2) Where and when did Mr. Meehan get his masters in anatomy?
3) What are the names of the several martial arts schools that Mr Meehan ran , where are they loacted, and when did Mr. Meehan run these schools?
Do you mind answering these questions for Mr Meehan?
I wish that I had 17 blackbelts....
hai guiz I'm late to the party?
Seriously... shoot me an pm if you need a hand/ride/bad pun
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO