Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/13/2007 11:54am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Action Hero Institute?

So only the very beginning of an investigation here.

I was introduced to the place via a friends myspace message.

http://actionheroinstitute.com/

At first glance, I just thought "neat!" another functional fitness center in Austin, with a very Renegades-y methodology. The excercise routines looked cool, and my friend who goes there appears to be in shape.

So, first thing was, I didn't actually see any physical fitness credentials on the site. No personal training background, no educational fitness background etc. I simply don't know if this is unusual or not, so not a big flag to me.

Then there is this.

"At present, all programs are led by Stephen Brent Meehan, who holds seventeen black belts, including a sixth-degree black belt in Kenpo, Fourth Degree black belt in Taekwondo, Second degree black belt in Aikido, Shao-Lin styles (including long fist), Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai and others. He is a former competitive fighter, and is currently a stunt coordinator and producer for independent films in Austin, Texas."

So far, searching for his name has only produced his various blogs and some other people by the same name who do software design. Of the people who have competed in BJJ named meehan. I can find none named stephen or brent . Of course, my searches may have been poorly targted. Going straight to the source is currently problematic for two reasons

1) the place is way far south in austin, so I have trouble actually getting there to try out their workouts or MA classes.

2) Stephen is family of a friend, so immediately poking around asking "hey is he a fraud" is probably not going to go over super-well before I have solid proof.

Anyone who can help me verify the titles, lack of fight record, or offer informed commentary on the fitness program, would be a big help.

I'll post more information here as I get it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2007 12:09pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's down off of S. Congress, right?

Posted On:
    12/13/2007 12:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Our building is on the south west corner of Alpine and Woodbury, due south of the Penn Field complex. Our door is green and faces Woodbury, and is right next to a loading porch that is painted purple."

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    12/13/2007 12:35pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It should be quite easy to check if he is a blackbelt in BJJ, with the other styles mentioned I am convinced he isnt. Ive never seen a blackbelt in MT...mostly because Im pretty sure MT doesnt have belts. I demand to see him wearing all these blackbelts at once.

Posted On:
    12/13/2007 12:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe in the UK lots of kickboxing places implement belt systems, but that's all I can think of.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/13/2007 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he's got belts in seventeen systems and mentions (legitimate) Muay Thai experience in a list of only four or five of those, he may not actually mean that he has a black belt in Muay Thai. In fact, that could go for BJJ, too. It would be sloppy wording, but it wouldn't be intentional fraud.

On the other hand, I don't think that's very likely to be the case. I just wanted to be devil's advocate for a moment.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    12/13/2007 12:45pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KRINGUS
    If he's got belts in seventeen systems and mentions (legitimate) Muay Thai experience in a list of only four or five of those, he may not actually mean that he has a black belt in Muay Thai. In fact, that could go for BJJ, too. It would be sloppy wording, but it wouldn't be intentional fraud.

On the other hand, I don't think that's very likely to be the case. I just wanted to be devil's advocate for a moment.
    I think sloppy wording might save him, but then his running out of MA's to get blackbelts in that the everyday layman has heard of.

Posted On:
    12/13/2007 12:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KRINGUS

This sounds like a very good reason to list ones credentials with goddamn bullet points.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/13/2007 12:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like a good workout. No comment on Stephen Brent Meehan's martial arts credentials, but I'm assuming that he's a beginner as a stunt co-ordinator simply in that the site doesn't list any completed film/TV projects and Google offers a blank on "Stephen Brent Meehan" + "stunt", apart from the Action Hero Institute website itself.

Posted On:
    12/13/2007 12:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast