221431 Bullies, 3647 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 20
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. judojive is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1

    Posted On:
    12/14/2007 8:08pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo-kendo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doninha
    For those of you in New England, Cox Sports has been airing a miniseries that follows the lives and experiences of four martial artists in their everyday lives. It's very interesting, not just because it features my capoeira instructor, but also because it delves into the psychological aspects of why martial artists train and the compulsions they have to deal with. The first season has already aired, but I think people can still get it On Demand if they are in the Northeast. The second season is supposed to start sometime in January.

    Everyone else can check out the shows website: www.3degrees.tv Plenty of trailers and interviews to get an idea of what it's all about.

    Those of us not in New England will just have to wait until the series is picked up nationally (which should be happening soon)

    Just FYI.

    Doninha
    caporia sucks
  2. NJM is offline
    NJM's Avatar

    Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,682

    Posted On:
    12/14/2007 8:11pm


     Style: CMA, MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojive
    caporia sucks
    Great contribution.
  3. HonkyTonkMan is offline
    HonkyTonkMan's Avatar

    Y SO SRIUS?

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Black Belt City, Mississippi
    Posts
    5,434

    Posted On:
    12/14/2007 8:28pm

    supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojive
    caporia sucks

    Yeah...so does Capoeira.
  4. agamemnon5150 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    14

    Posted On:
    12/15/2007 1:56pm


     Style: MT & No-Gi Grappling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    Yeah...so does Capoeira.
    yea so does TKD
  5. doninha is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    129

    Posted On:
    12/15/2007 4:53pm


     Style: Capoeira, MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    Right about here is where I stopped giving a ****.



    Ooooohhh, you said delves and psychological in the same sentence. That must make the show worthwhile.

    Awwwww... I didn't mean to scare you little one. I'll use smaller words next time. Forgive me, perhaps I'll translate:

    (Hey dood, thiz show bout marshal artz. This r a marshal artz board rite? You guyz mite like showz bout marshal artz then...)

    Watch it or don't. I don't really care. But if there are others on this board without hefty yeast infections making them all grumpy, they might be interested in a show that offers some insights into Martial Arts other than "Beating people is fun! Training is hard! Gracie rulz!"

    Oops. I said insight. Stupid education. Is that word too hard for you, menino? Does it make you want to poop?
  6. HonkyTonkMan is offline
    HonkyTonkMan's Avatar

    Y SO SRIUS?

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Black Belt City, Mississippi
    Posts
    5,434

    Posted On:
    12/15/2007 7:02pm

    supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doninha
    Awwwww... I didn't mean to scare you little one. I'll use smaller words next time. Forgive me, perhaps I'll translate:
    Capoeira is dumb and has no real use outside of making you look like a tool.


    Quote Originally Posted by capoeira dumbass
    Watch it or don't. I don't really care.
    You must or you wouldnt have posted it.

    Quote Originally Posted by you
    But if there are others on this board without hefty yeast infections making them all grumpy, they might be interested in a show that offers some insights into Martial Arts other than "Beating people is fun! Training is hard! Gracie rulz!"
    What are Martial Arts for? To learn to fight. Why learn to dance?

    Training is hard. You seem to have a bad taste in your mouth about BJJ. I am not a BJJ nutrider, but trust me, its a hell of a lot better than Capo.

    Quote Originally Posted by sooper smarht capo guy
    Oops. I said insight. Stupid education. Is that word too hard for you, menino? Does it make you want to poop?
    Did someone make fun of your breakdanci...err Martial Art?


    BTW...you forgot to sign your post. I almost didnt realise you posted it.
    Last edited by HonkyTonkMan; 12/15/2007 7:04pm at .
  7. JBliss is offline
    JBliss's Avatar

    Don't mess with the Mega-Buster

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Out there man, way out there
    Posts
    694

    Posted On:
    12/15/2007 7:27pm

    supporting member
     Style: A+B, D-Pad

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Manny Neves is a Nick Cerio Kenpo black belt who went to jail for selling cocaine out of his karate school in the eighties. He was Charlie Sheens bodyguard for a brief period of time, and is now a wannabe Muay Thai fight promoter in Rhode Island and owns a MMA school. His uncle Burt Neves is a good boxing coach and trained manny for his american kickboxing maches back in the day. His claim to fame is that he was the 1999 RI Vale Tudo champion, an event that he himself staged using the little grappling he had picked up to beat a pro wrestler for the title. He most recently had the life pounded out of him by Mike Varner in a quick first round loss after which he declared his retirement from MMA competition. He has pretty good stand up, from years of karate and boxing, but his ground game is rudimentary at best.

    doninha are you in RHody? would that make your capoeira instructor Silas Pinto? I've met him, he had an interesting TKD based approach, all in all I considered him to be a capable fighter.
    Secret moves such as hitting a thing with your hand and hitting a thing with your leg have been stolen and degenerated by arts like karate, boxing, muay-thai, Kung-fu, and basketball. -Epicurious

    I for one welcome our new Ninja overlords.
    -Whiteshark

    I figure fighting a group of chunners would be like water torture, its not the force as such, just the constant trickle of chain punches wearing down your sanity. -The Juggernoob
  8. doninha is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    129

    Posted On:
    12/16/2007 6:39am


     Style: Capoeira, MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    Capoeira is dumb and has no real use outside of making you look like a tool.

    You are welcome to your opinion. It is a sport of considerable complexity and the most fun I've ever had in my life. I've never claimed it's martial effectiveness and I tell my students regularly that if they want to learn to fight, they should take up BJJ or Muay Thai. Fighting is not what capoeira is about. It is an art form in and of itself. One of the reasons that I'm on these boards is to make sure that capoeira isn't misrepresented by new practitioners saying that it is an effective method of fighting.


    You must or you wouldnt have posted it.

    This post is for those who may be interested. If you aren't, I don't give a **** if you watch it or not. In fact, you probably shouldn't, since you've already drawn your conclusions about it without having seen it. Way to go.

    What are Martial Arts for? To learn to fight. Why learn to dance?

    Because it's fun, more intense than most other arts that I've encountered, and have you seen the women in your average capoeira class? Damn...

    Training is hard. You seem to have a bad taste in your mouth about BJJ. I am not a BJJ nutrider, but trust me, its a hell of a lot better than Capo.

    Nope. I've got nothing but respect for BJJ. In fact, I hope to start training at Pedro Sauer's school here in VA as soon as I can find the time and tuition money. That just ain't in the cards right now.

    Did someone make fun of your breakdanci...err Martial Art?

    Everyone makes fun of it. Even me. We should do a capoeira sucks month.

    BTW...you forgot to sign your post. I almost didnt realise you posted it.

    You're right.

    Doninha
  9. doninha is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    129

    Posted On:
    12/16/2007 6:46am


     Style: Capoeira, MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JBliss
    Manny Neves is a Nick Cerio Kenpo black belt who went to jail for selling cocaine out of his karate school in the eighties. He was Charlie Sheens bodyguard for a brief period of time, and is now a wannabe Muay Thai fight promoter in Rhode Island and owns a MMA school. His uncle Burt Neves is a good boxing coach and trained manny for his american kickboxing maches back in the day. His claim to fame is that he was the 1999 RI Vale Tudo champion, an event that he himself staged using the little grappling he had picked up to beat a pro wrestler for the title. He most recently had the life pounded out of him by Mike Varner in a quick first round loss after which he declared his retirement from MMA competition. He has pretty good stand up, from years of karate and boxing, but his ground game is rudimentary at best.

    doninha are you in RHody? would that make your capoeira instructor Silas Pinto? I've met him, he had an interesting TKD based approach, all in all I considered him to be a capable fighter.
    Wow. I didn't know that about Manny. They allude to some things in the show, but damn. A large part of his segments revolve around him coming out of retirement.

    And Silas Pinto is my instructor. I teach in VA though, so it's hard to train with him regularly. He's got a pretty wide variety of disciplines under his belt, but I've only trained Capoeira and San Shou with him. In fact, I'm recovering from a torn ACL and meniscus that I got the last time I played him. A total accident, but I never saw the takedown coming. The guy is awesome.
  10. HongKongFukYu is offline
    HongKongFukYu's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    330

    Posted On:
    1/20/2008 12:27pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doninha
    Wow. I didn't know that about Manny. They allude to some things in the show, but damn. A large part of his segments revolve around him coming out of retirement.

    And Silas Pinto is my instructor. I teach in VA though, so it's hard to train with him regularly. He's got a pretty wide variety of disciplines under his belt, but I've only trained Capoeira and San Shou with him. In fact, I'm recovering from a torn ACL and meniscus that I got the last time I played him. A total accident, but I never saw the takedown coming. The guy is awesome.
    Silas seems like a top notch guy from a very good friend of mine who trains San Shou (not Capoiera) there.

    As far as Manny goes, if you're looking for BJJ/MMA there are 3 others schools in RI that are light years beyond what Manny is teaching.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.