Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 12:32pm

Style: Capoeira, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA, Kickboxing, Capoeira, TKD Documentary miniseries

For those of you in New England, Cox Sports has been airing a miniseries that follows the lives and experiences of four martial artists in their everyday lives. It's very interesting, not just because it features my capoeira instructor, but also because it delves into the psychological aspects of why martial artists train and the compulsions they have to deal with. The first season has already aired, but I think people can still get it On Demand if they are in the Northeast. The second season is supposed to start sometime in January.

Everyone else can check out the shows website: www.3degrees.tv Plenty of trailers and interviews to get an idea of what it's all about.

Those of us not in New England will just have to wait until the series is picked up nationally (which should be happening soon)

Just FYI.

Doninha

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 12:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only REAL martial arts documentary show is the one that features Bill Duff punching tiny non American people in the face. Unless Bill Duff makes a special guest appearance to punch your capoeira teacher in the face during the rhoda (sp?) I'm not interested.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 12:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm afraid you will be disappointed. Bill Duff was unavailable for the shoot, as he already had an appointment puching tiny non Americans in the face at the US-Mexican border. But maybe next season we'll get lucky.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 1:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps Tank Abbot could be substituted?

Sorry. What's the name of the show?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 1:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oops. Forgot to give the name. It's called "3 Degrees."

I'm interested to know how notable the other martial artists are on the national radar, or if they are only regionally recognized. Master Sayed Najem was an Olympic medalist, but I don't know how well people know Manny Neves and John Marzullo. Do these names ring any bells to anyone here?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 2:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't get the point of the show.

the masters don't fight each other, right? is it just a big hug fest about how they are overcoming obstacles?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 2:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um, yeah, it's not them just fighting each other. Otherwise it wouldn't be much of a documentary. It would be a UFC event that would take an hour, or an episode of "Ultimate Fighter" (which deals with more drama than just fighting each other as well, BTW)

Every story ever written is about people overcoming obstacles. Dealing with a conflict is the whole point.

This is a story about the lives of martial artists and how their training and philosophies relate to their interactions in the real world. It's pretty interesting in my opinion, and not something you get to see very often.

And, having seen the first season, I wouldn't describe it as a "hug fest." Especially in the MMA segments; it gets pretty brutal. And anyone who has trained through injuries or people questioning your motivations for training, etc. will be able to relate. Kinda like Rocky. Those movies weren't just boxing matches.
    Last edited by doninha; 12/12/2007 3:05pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2007 12:45am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

HAH cox sport

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 4:33pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If only there was a systema guy eating food day in and day out....

One can dream. I think that's a neat idea for a show, and will give a lot of insight into the fact that most practicioners aren't always meditating when they're not taking classes.

Gives a real human side to the martial artists, and could help the MMA.

Haven't seen the show though.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 5:16pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doninha
    For those of you in New England, Cox Sports has been airing a miniseries that follows the lives and experiences of four martial artists in their everyday lives. It's very interesting, not just because it features my capoeira instructor,
    Right about here is where I stopped giving a ****.

but also because it delves into the psychological aspects of why martial artists train and the compulsions they have to deal with.
    Ooooohhh, you said delves and psychological in the same sentence. That must make the show worthwhile.

The first season has already aired,
    ...And they had the funding for a second one?

I think people can still get it On Demand if they are in the Northeast.
    Oh wow, not only can I watch it but I can PAY to watch it. Why didnt you say so in the first place?

The second season is supposed to start sometime in January.
    Cant wait.....I hope the brain Cancer comes back. Maybe I will be dead by then.

Everyone else can check out the shows website: www.3degrees.tv Plenty of trailers and interviews to get an idea of what it's all about.
    Well, theres 3 minutes I wasted. I should have taken a **** instead. It would have been the same end result.

Those of us not in New England will just have to wait until the series is picked up nationally (which should be happening soon)
    I hope you can hold your breath for a long time.

Just FYI.
    Just dont.

Doninha
    Yeah...thanks for signing the post.... I wasnt sure who had posted it. I guess I should have figured it out when I read...

12-12-2007, 12:32 PM #1
    doninha
    Registered Member
    Varrots:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast