Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 6:49am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Drilling/training with heavier opponents

We were drilling the triangle in class and I got teamed up with this guy whose probaly half a foot taller than me and a good few stone. I found it very difficult to put on the triangle, having to turn almost completely on my side to get deep enough. Partly due to my flexability but also because my legs were barely reaching, it was quite hard just to close the guard. Anyway onto the point of the thread.

So then we start rolling and I get man handled, I can pass his guard but cant submit him from bottom (semi rolling of guy on bottom tries to sweep or submit and guy on top just tries to pass). No worries its only my third lesson. So we change and I get put with someone just as new as me if not newer (we're both still going no gi). This guy is about my height and abit lighter. It was like grappling a stick!, it felt incredibly easier. Managed to sink in my first ever triangle tap as well. I am convinced even though he was lighter than me (and probaly less experienced) it wouldnt of been as easy if I hadnt rolled with the heavier guy first. As after this guy I go onto roll with another guy whose just abit heavier than me and has been training since I began (if not longer). It still feels so much easier and I manage to Kimura him twice and pass his guard every time.

So do the people of bullshido find that rolling with heavy guys improves their game for people around their own weight?, or can it lead to bad habits?. Or does the reverse hold true, will drilling/rolling with lighter guys make you worse?

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 7:10am

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm about your size and I occasionally roll with an 18st guy. First time I pulled guard and slapped on a guilitine choke and got the tap. From then on everytime I could only hold guard and try and reclaim it when I lost it. He was far too strong for me to pull of anything from the bottom and I had no chance of getting or keeping him on his back.

I would say it's good to do once in a while but realistically you should only be grappling with guys within about 20kg of your weight.

Where do you live Jason? We should meet up and train sometime.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 7:26am

Style: Moo Thai & Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have rolled with my brother in law. He's a bit taller than me but weighs 20.5 stone (130 kg). I'm 13.5 stone (86 kg). At first I found it frustrating because I couldn't submit him but eventually I went back to basics and focussed on gaining and maintaing position. I found that this really helped my technique as I couldn't rely on strength to do anything. It was all down to technique. Eddie Bravo's 'Old School' sweep will become your new best friend ;)

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 7:42am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyseanybean
    I'm about your size and I occasionally roll with an 18st guy. First time I pulled guard and slapped on a guilitine choke and got the tap. From then on everytime I could only hold guard and try and reclaim it when I lost it. He was far too strong for me to pull of anything from the bottom and I had no chance of getting or keeping him on his back.

I would say it's good to do once in a while but realistically you should only be grappling with guys within about 20kg of your weight.

Where do you live Jason? We should meet up and train sometime.
    I live in Dorking,surrey. Train and work in Guildford though. Yeah Im up for some training, annoyingly I can only train once a week at the moment because I work during the other session. So I try do as much as I can to make up for it. Gonna try attend the oxford throwdown.

Oh and its Jadon :icon_fara

On an unrelated note, motherfucking Roger Gracie is coming down to check out how we are doing in january. Im gonna try get him to pose for a photo of me slapping the RNC on him.

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 8:41am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadonblade
    No worries its only my third lesson.
    I'd say "ask your instructor" but he probably doesn't know your name yet.