Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 5:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How Do Marathon?

So, as an incentive to myself to work on my endurance, I signed up for the PF Chang's Rock and Roll Marathon here in Phoenix in about a month. :dead: I run on a pretty regular basis for distances of about 40 miles per week (in 10-mile increments), and my max distance so far has been 18 miles. I'm gradually upping my runs, planning on hitting 20 to 22 before I taper off my training a couple of weeks out from the race.

Given that my goal here is simply finishing (preferably without being passed by the walkers group), does anyone here have any distance running tips? This is going to be my first organized race, so I'm a total noob-nugget when it comes to anything beyond "left foot - right foot, dumbass."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 2:00pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devildog_jim
    So, as an incentive to myself to work on my endurance, I signed up for the PF Chang's Rock and Roll Marathon here in Phoenix in about a month. :dead: I run on a pretty regular basis for distances of about 40 miles per week (in 10-mile increments), and my max distance so far has been 18 miles. I'm gradually upping my runs, planning on hitting 20 to 22 before I taper off my training a couple of weeks out from the race.

Given that my goal here is simply finishing (preferably without being passed by the walkers group), does anyone here have any distance running tips? This is going to be my first organized race, so I'm a total noob-nugget when it comes to anything beyond "left foot - right foot, dumbass."
    Its not worth much, but as a safety tip, there has been a trend among slower marathoners and those training for them actually over hydrating during the run, which throws their electrolyte and sodium balance to ****, making them sick, pukey, and in risk of dying from brain swelling.

There have been studies to confirm this is a problem, and its long been suspected as being an issue among distance atheletes. The problem is restricted almost exclusively to slower runners who take a long time to complete the marathon - but drink water like they are running 6 minute mile splits.

http://www.runtex.com/web/1-162.asp

http://www.liveleantoday.com/article.cfm?id=428

http://arpa.allenpress.com/arpaonlin...R%3E2.0.CO%3B2