Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 1:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My new 5x5 pt.2

This is a post taken form another of my threads. It never got responded to so I am hoping someone can chime in before I go too far down this road.

I started a 5x5 routine. Just got my Starting Strength book (which is going to be my new bible for now). And so far this is going to be my routine. Is there anything glaring that I should include/exclude?

DAY - A
    Bench
    Barbell Row
    Squat
    Hyperextensions
    Side Rows (for judo throws)
    Calf Raises

DAY - B
    Squats (@75%)
    Military Press
    Deadlifts
    PullUps
    Reverse Calf Raises (for cosmetics)
    Reverse Curls (for gripping)
    Bicep Curls

Day - C
    Bench
    Barbell Rows
    Squats
    Lunges
    Dips
    Triceps

I do abs and cardio whenever I can (a few times a week) and do the over and around the head with the weight plate for rotator cuff stretching and strength.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 1:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't starting strength a 3x5 principle rather than a 5x5?

Reverse curls don't do jack for your grip, they're just a forearm pump. Use stuff from grippage if you want to work your grip, though deadlifts should do a good job.

What is a siderow exactly? Is that like a dumbbell row?

What does "triceps" mean? It's a muscle group, not an exercise.

The lunges are prolly a little unnecessary given all the squatting you'll be doing.

Throw out the curls.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 2:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd lunge some days instead of squatting, it will go easier on your body.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 2:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am doing 5x5 as recommended by macho for strength and because I cannot lift enough to do 3x5 effectively. Starting Strength was recommended by either macho or pirate jon. I am going to use it mostly for getting my form down correctly. I know there is some workout plans at the end, but I haven't gotten that far yet. Since this is new to me I am taking the first omnth or so to get everything right and manageable.

By triceps I mean extensions (pull downs)....i do preacher curls so I can get alot of strength from the extremely extended joint. I have found it helps alot in holding out and escaping arm bars. I don't do regular curls. Sorry for the ambiguity/unclarity. I am still learning all the terminology.

The side rows are basically rear delt rows. In judo we call it 'look at your watch'. You grip the sleeve and pull your opponents arm up and out.
    http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Delt...arDeltRow.html

It allows me to work the arms, shoulder and back as well as feet (legs) in a very particular movement which very closely resembles the pulling motion used in throws.

Thanks. I'll look into the grippage. (I assume it is a website or a book)

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 3:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry, grippage is grippage.com
    "Emevas,

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 4:09pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only thing I'd mention is that the 5x5 /sets across is to go heavy on a few big lifts and add weight (even if it justs 1lb or 1 rep) every week. adding a lot of cardio and assistance work may (or may not) cause some over training.

Also - power cleans are missing from your list, but are very worth the trouble to learn.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 4:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because of my broken hand (still not gripping properly) and my bad neck, I worry about those explosive lifts. Once I go through Starting Strength and try to get those lifts done correctly, maybe i'll try to do the clean. Or, i will work it in with no weight until I have better form.

The assistance work isn't too bad. I am not doing it until failure. It really is to round out some things. Unfortunately I only get to do some light cardio about 2x a week.

I have been going pretty heavy for most of my compound lifts. On the bench press I really cna't do a 6th rep. For squats, my hearts starts to race on the fifth rep of the fifth. The barbell row I am still working on form so the weight is not too much, same with the deadlift.

I have been worried about overtraining. Trying to get to the gym 3x and MT/BJJ 4x a week is pretty tough. Especially now that I am lifting alot omre and taking more time.

(especially since i am a weak wimp)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 4:25pm

Style: *********

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Definitely get rid of the curls. If you absolutely insist on curls then do crush curls.

For grip strength just use and overhand grip on the deads. I had a training partner that could over hand grip a 560lb dead for a set of five, you did not want him grabbing hold of you.

Are you going for strength only, or size and strength, or stamina and strength? The reason I ask is because that is a decision you have to make before you decide on a routine.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 4:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't need to get bigger. I just need to be stronger. I am not sure what you mean by stamina. I don't gas out much in class (either cardio or muscle wise). I have been restricting my caloric intake in order to lose weight, so I also know that my increase in strength and muscle development will be a little slower than ideal.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 4:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    Because of my broken hand (still not gripping properly) and my bad neck, I worry about those explosive lifts. Once I go through Starting Strength and try to get those lifts done correctly, maybe i'll try to do the clean. Or, i will work it in with no weight until I have better form.

The assistance work isn't too bad. I am not doing it until failure. It really is to round out some things. Unfortunately I only get to do some light cardio about 2x a week.

I have been going pretty heavy for most of my compound lifts. On the bench press I really cna't do a 6th rep. For squats, my hearts starts to race on the fifth rep of the fifth. The barbell row I am still working on form so the weight is not too much, same with the deadlift.

I have been worried about overtraining. Trying to get to the gym 3x and MT/BJJ 4x a week is pretty tough. Especially now that I am lifting alot omre and taking more time.

(especially since i am a weak wimp)
    If you are really concerned about overtraining, cut out the vanity and assistance work and just stick with 3 big lifts.
    "Emevas,
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast