Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 1:15pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Advice Please! Getting Comfortable with Striking

Hello everyone. First and foremost, I train BJJ. However, lately I have been training stand up, (MMA and boxing), for a couple reasons, mostly to improve my BJJ, and also to better my self defense capability. I find I am having large problems. Aside from my technical suckery, the main problem I have is, I am unconfortable getting hit. When the punches come, I tend to either cover up, and put my head down, or back away, turning slightly to my right, both bad habits! It seems every time I throw a punch (usually a jab, I get a hook thrown at me, making me extremely gun shy. I feel like I get overwelmed as my sparring partners come in with combos, I feel like this is not where I want to be, and revert to my BJJ, wanting to take the fight to the ground at the earliest possible opportunity. I don't know much, jab, cross, left hook, right hook, I know a couple kicks, the front kick, and then leg kicks, none of which I throw particularly well. I know the technical aspect of my game will improve with practice, but I am not sure what to do about the mental aspect. Did any of you have similar problems? What can I do to make myself more comfortable with the stand up game? How do I get past the... fear (?) of getting hit? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW, just so you know, I am not training to fight. I am not a fighter. I love training, I love BJJ, and I want to be comfortable with my ability to defend myself should the need ever arise. I want to be a realistic training partner for my teamates, and right now, I am far from that.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 1:24pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heya! I had a similar problem when I started boxing earlier this year. I got some great advice when I posted about it, so here's the link:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56662

I am much better now at not being so skittish. It really is something that improves with time. Stick with it!

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 1:33pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The drills omega posted on this very same subforum will help you get used to getting hit in the head pretty quickly

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 1:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks AeroChick!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 1:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks selfcritical, great videos!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 1:53pm

Style: Baihequan, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My striking went leaps and bounds after the first time I got a real good powerful undefended punch to my face.

Quite literally knocked some sense into me. It helps you realize that yes, getting punched hard sucks, but won't break you or even necessarily KO you.

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 2:11pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, learning to be mobile while covering while help. A lot of people are either moving and evading or standing still and double covering, with nothing in between. Making sure you keep working when you are forced to cover will help(the best example i've seen of this is the Rodney King crazy monkey material)

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 2:36pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Search before you post please.