Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 8:31am

Style: PTK / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    Semi related question. I'm looking for reccomendations for padded sticks. Looking at action flex and smak sticks so far. Although I'm open to any.

Main use is to abuse my punching bag, but I'd rather get a stick that is useful for sparring. I'm leaning towards smak stiks because they seem more rigid, and more useful for takedowns etc. Anyone have experience with these or others?

(also on tape, the SCA standby to protect the sticks was strapping tape, the stuff with the fibers in it.)
    I've got a pair of Smak-Stiks and I'm happy with them. You can take a hit from them pretty much anywhere except for the hinge of the jaw. That hurts, so if you're going to spar you might want a little head protection (I use some cheap-ass boxing headgear and it works great). Anyway, they've got a nice feel and handle well. Only issue is that they have a very long handle and I have a tendency to choke up on the stick, sometimes leaving a 5"-6" punyo.

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/10/2008 1:06pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We've broken every pair of Smak-Stiks that we've gotten. Actually, we've broken every pair of commercially produced padded sticks that we've ever tried.

Our best results are from buying slightly narrower diameter high quality rattan, and padding/wrapping them ourselves. If the core breaks, just replace the rattan. Padding degrades after awhile though.

Posted On:
    4/01/2008 10:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MT, BJJ, FMA, Judo, Boxin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Papadakis

I also recommend the sticks at www.bloodsport.com. Nick Papadakis provides excellent customer service and the sticks are excellent. Papadakis is a member of the dog brothers, and appears on the youtube videos of them floating around. Tell him I sent you.

Featherweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/27/2008 12:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tracy Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am probably gonna look like a dick for my first post, but I have composite sticks that have a slightly springer flex than rattan and have a 2 year free replacement plan if you break 'em and you pick the length and chose from a few different diameters for ninety bucks a pair.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/27/2008 3:27am

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RamsHead
    I am probably gonna look like a dick for my first post, but I have composite sticks that have a slightly springer flex than rattan and have a 2 year free replacement plan if you break 'em and you pick the length and chose from a few different diameters for ninety bucks a pair.
    '

45 dollars per stick is kind of pricy
    i"m currently the one in the process of writing a comprehensive comparison/review on all padded training sticks on the market.

if you could give me details on your stick. i might buy them and include them in my comparison.

so far I have ordered lameco, century, smak, ATF/Kil, and actionflex sticks.

I'd like to know what kind of composite 'sticks" you make and what you think makes them superior to the other ones on the market. and/or the website for your product. (PM me if necessary)

Featherweight

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/27/2008 8:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've purchased all of my sticks from http://www.bloodsport.com/ and loved everything. I even bought a batch of their "Ugly Sticks"

http://bloodsport.com/product_info.p...products_id=39

and pulled the set I train with most out of them (note: all but 2 just happened to be 28" but there is no selection of size/diameter on these...I may have just gotten extremely lucky).

Also, I may have missed someone else mentioning them, but one guy in my class has a set of polypropelene sticks from Cold Steel (although since they come at 32" he had to cut them down to 28").

http://www.coldsteel.com/91e.html

They will obliterate rattan, but he loves using them for tire work and practicing sword vs stick (against an aluminum trainer). He also likes using them for stick on stick when training single stick. They are significantly heavier than rattan, but I don't think it's possible to destoy them.

Featherweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/27/2008 11:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tracy Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by variance
    '

45 dollars per stick is kind of pricy
    i"m currently the one in the process of writing a comprehensive comparison/review on all padded training sticks on the market.

if you could give me details on your stick. i might buy them and include them in my comparison.

so far I have ordered lameco, century, smak, ATF/Kil, and actionflex sticks.

I'd like to know what kind of composite 'sticks" you make and what you think makes them superior to the other ones on the market. and/or the website for your product. (PM me if necessary)
    They are not padded ( I suppose you could slip a section of pool noodle over one though ) and they are made from a nylon infused with molybendium. the weight is not significantly hevyer that rattan with skin. I have worked them on telephone poles, a concreet filled steel stanchion pipe ans a granite bolder , the only damage occured from the boulder and it was superficial. The poly sticks I have seen deform while ours have a springy flex pattern , and as I said if in the first two years of ownership you break em
    you get 100 percent free replacement. The cost of the matireal is high but it is likely the last sticks you need to buy. The are available from Draven Industries, a custom knife and weapon shop that is working on a web site but is active on a knife fourm www.ironpitt.com ( admin, if it is a no no to post this link a apologize ).
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456