Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 1:01pm

Style: PTK / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New pair of sticks

So, got my first pair of sticks smashed in class last night. Okay, not smashed, but there's a huge dent in one, and after a while all the electrical tape in the world ain't gonna hold them together. So, I was looking into getting a new pair.

I've narrowed it down to 3 options, and was looking for some outside opinions:

1. Just get another pair of rattan sticks
    2. Get a pair of Bahi or hickory hardwood sticks
    3. Go down to my local industrial plastics supplier and get 2 28" lengths of .875" UHMWPE for about $5 a pop.

Advantages:
    1) Easy
    2) More durable, and training with heavier sticks builds arm strength
    3) Nearly indestructible, heavier than rattan, but lighter than hardwood

Guess I'm leaning toward #3. Any thoughts?

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 1:23pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If everyone else is using rattan, then options 2 and 3 are pretty much dick moves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 1:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most people use rattan, but some of the ranking belts have suggested we train with hardwood because of the heavier weight. I thought plastic sticks might be heavier but less likely to damage a partner's rattan than hardwood, but your post seems to suggest otherwise.

Thanks,

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 1:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bloodsport.com/ <-- best sticks around

http://www.stickman-escrima.com/ <-- interesting use of plastics
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 2:12pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hardwood on hardwood will give you tennis elbow. Hardwood on rattan = your partner has to buy new sticks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 3:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, Ming. Had seen the stickman site and wondered if they were worth checking out. Of course, I'm the type of guy who just has to DIY, even when it's probably more sensible to get something already made.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 3:50pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard stickfighters rarely use hardwood sticks because hardwood breaks into really dangerous splinters. When sparring with a short wooden bokken (with Chickenbeakfist armed with a rattan stick), the two made contact and the last three inches broken off at a really sharp angle. Its a good thing he noticed, because I didn't, and if neither of us noticed and I attacked with the point it would have pierced the skin. Since then, we only use the wooden knives, but not sticks. Rattan is fiberous, so it doesn't have those issues. He uses the rattan sticks sold by the Dog Brothers. They are made for hard contact, and have been holding up well. They are bigger around and heavier than most escrima sticks you will find online.
    A dented stick isn't a huge problem in my experience, though. I've been using dented sticks for a long time.
    I got to try out one of those Cold Steel black plastic feaux rattan sticks at DngRuss' place at the last Throwdown. They are heavier than regular rattan and seem good for solo practice, but not necessarily for drilling or sparring with a partner. I'm not sure how they are when contacting another stick over long periods- I just swung it around in the air for a while.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 4:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo23
    Thanks, Ming. Had seen the stickman site and wondered if they were worth checking out. Of course, I'm the type of guy who just has to DIY, even when it's probably more sensible to get something already made.
    no problem, i am far from an expert on sticks, but we do use them for sword work in my school, and as i am obsessed with quality gear i tend to research everything to death.

one thing i found with the solid stickman sticks is that they can be dangerous for your partner if they are using rattan, as the plastic ones are quite dense, and i found that sometimes rattan can bounce quickly off of them, and in one instance i blocked a strike from my partner and his rattan stick rebounded right into his temple. after that i left those at home and brought the ones from the bloodsport site (the dog brothers sticks)

the hollow ones from stickman are nice, i got a "flute" model (hollow with holes drilled) for a training partner who can actually play the flute, and he loves it. no one considers it a weapon and he can carry it anywhere. http://www.stickman-escrima.com/Products/Flutes.htm
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 4:26pm

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would definitely recommend the sticks sold on the Dog Brothers site

http://dogbrothers.com/index.php?cPath=29

I'm currently using the "Crafty Dog" and "Top Dog" models and they're great. Pretty reasonably priced and I've been hitting them against trees and other sticks and they're really holding up. Some dings here and there but no dents. And nothing beats that smokey burnt matches smell when you're trading rattan swings.

Quick anecdote: A couple weeks ago in the park Codos and I are weapons sparring and Codos is swinging his three-sectioned staff around while I have my double rattan. Right in the middle a huge line of Boy Scouts happens to walk by. A kid exclaims "Cool! They're doing Karate!!!" I'm still laughing about it. Man, we're dorks...

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 4:27pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should have several pair of rattan, various length and width. One of my favorites in a pair of cut-down laquerd axe handles. Not for drills though.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast