Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 11:04pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What to do about the stupidest foot injury ever?

In my martial arts career I have had a few injuries, as most people do. Tonight I had probably the dumbest foot injury yet, and I am looking for suggestions on what to do. In BJJ tonight I managed to rip my big toenail almost completely off, making a nice bloody mess in the process. I guess it got caught between the mats or something when I was pushing off with my foot. "Injury" is a bit strong of a word, as this is more of an excessively bloody inconvenience.

So, two questions. First, what to do about the nail that is hanging on for dear life? Rip the bitch completely off? Go to a doctor and get their opinion? Just leave it be? Amputate?

The second question is, what should I do in later training? Since I figure I will probably end up losing the nail in some form or another, would taping it up be enough until a new nail grows in? The main things I am worried about are how painful an exposed nail bed would be with just a layer of tape on it (not sure), and trying to keep it from opening up.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 11:59pm

Style: WHKD & Doce Pares

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ouch, I know exactly what you're talking about did the same exact thing about 10 years ago. It was hanging on partially but I'd say a good 90% torn off. My instructor told me to tape it which I did. It was pretty painful for a couple days but very quickly a new nail started to form and pushed the injured on off in about a week or two. (Hey it was 10 yrs ago and I'm f'ng old so my memory isn't so good.
    All in all it was tender to a degree for a couple months but not too terrible.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 12:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tape is always good for broken things. If it get infected go to a Dr. I once dropped a 45lb plate on my big toe. Now that is stupid.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 2:36am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CLIP YOUR TOENAILS YOU FILTHY THING!

As for the injury itself, disinfect and tape it down for a few days. It will hurt way less if you just allow it to fall off. Keep it bandaged for a week or so, and change the dressing daily, disinfecting every time. It will stop hurting in about two weeks, and should heal in three or so months,