Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 11:03am

Style: muaythai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    I'm not familiar with any physical phenomena that would allow someone to apply a force to a body and selectively have that force impact the organs while bypassing the skin, bone and muscle layers. It could very well be that the brick breaking is a stunt and that the perceived effects of the ballistic punch are due to suggestion.
    The systema strikes or 'ballistic punches' as some call them are very effective and are delivered with an immense amount of power. I've taken a good number in my training and can honestly say that there is no trickery involved.

A few weeks ago, I took a strike in the belly that sent me flying backwards five feet.

My overall combat experience is limited so I can't say whether the systema punch is more powerful than that of a practitioner of a different art.

All I can say is that it works.

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 11:33am

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always thought that Systema placed a large amount of importance on physical fitness, all the vids i see include bodyweight excersise and kettle bell and even sledge hammers for strength and conditioning. Was I wrong in thinking that then?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 12:18pm

Style: *********

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyseanybean
    I always thought that Systema placed a large amount of importance on physical fitness, all the vids i see include bodyweight excersise and kettle bell and even sledge hammers for strength and conditioning. Was I wrong in thinking that then?
    If you are seeing kettlebells and especially sledge hammers, I don't think you are seeing Systema.

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 12:33pm

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by melk
    If you are seeing kettlebells and especially sledge hammers, I don't think you are seeing Systema.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2njzQOvuCQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PHoUS52jPA

Sledgehammers @ 35 sec mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgrcbacPuPI

Various push up and sit ups and other bw excersises throughout, more sledgehammer @ 4 mins (followed by a bit of sparring)

These are all from systema UK, are they not representative of systema in other areas then?

I'm confused as to why Systema gets such a bad rep.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 1:54pm

Style: *********

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2njzQOvuCQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PHoUS52jPA

Sledgehammers @ 35 sec mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgrcbacPuPI

Various push up and sit ups and other bw excersises throughout, more sledgehammer @ 4 mins (followed by a bit of sparring)

These are all from systema UK, are they not representative of systema in other areas then?

I'm confused as to why Systema gets such a bad rep.
    Actually no they are not Representative. My guess would be that some(or a lot of cross-training has gone on). Some of their drills are classic Systema, others have the ring of ROSS or Kadochnikov.

For instance the sledge hammers(or axes or lead filled aluminum baseball bats) was a ROSS thing, that is where Scott Sonnon developed club-bells from. They were not his original work(at least not the exercises) just marketing.

Without doubt Systema has "borrowed" from other RMA's with mixed success. Vlad's original improvised weapons video for instance, was word for word demo for demo(even in the same order) as an Improvised Weapons Vid that Kadoch put out in 1991, only Vlad did it with sloppier technique.

This is not to say that there aren't good schools, but MA's are taken here more on the whole not school by school.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 4:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The OP was a troll attempt, so the reference to "not needing physical fitness" etc. was just a hoax. The Systema classes I've taken have been very physically demanding (slow-motion pushups, squats, impact conditioning etc.)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 5:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I put systema in the same category as George Dillman in that the theories concerning "energy transferr" and "light touch" and "no touch" knockouts and body manipulation are pure fantasy.

Read my article here....

http://www.bullshido.com/articles/di...article-6.html

if you know of anyone that would be willing to prove me wrong let me know.

If your a troll......I can only give you a 2/10 simply due to your chi jibberjabber.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 6:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    I put systema in the same category as George Dillman in that the theories concerning "energy transferr" and "light touch" and "no touch" knockouts and body manipulation are pure fantasy.

Read my article here....

http://www.bullshido.com/articles/di...article-6.html

if you know of anyone that would be willing to prove me wrong let me know.

If your a troll......I can only give you a 2/10 simply due to your chi jibberjabber.
    The OP was a troll, and I addressed the "no touch" allegations at great, painstaking length on this forum a couple of years ago.

Briefly, when TRS Direct put together a promo. for Ryabko's "Beyond the Physical" DVD, they included voice-over commentary using the phrase "psychic power" over footage of Ryabko running an interruption drill with some students. The object of the drill was for the students to move in for an attack, then for Ryabko to gesture with his open palm (representing a "threat", knife, punch, whatever for the purposes of the exercise) which the students were then supposed to avoid by twisting, backing up, falling or whatever they could do.

Taken out of context, the illusion is the Ryabko is somehow manipulating the students' bodies with telekinesis. That was overtly not the point of the drill, which is explained in straightforward tactical and biomechanical terms in the DVD itself. However, most people only saw the promo. excerpt online and jumped to the wrong conclusion. IMO, this is probably what TRS intended by editing the footage together in that way, re. controversy/attention/sales.

Ryabko has recently been quoted to the effect that "psychic power" is a poor English translation for a Russian phrase that means "non-physical methods", in the sense of feinting, psych-outs, etc.
    Last edited by DdlR; 12/06/2007 6:46pm at .

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 7:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those aren't kettlebells, those are giant pelmeni.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 9:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    The OP was a troll, and I addressed the "no touch" allegations at great, painstaking length on this forum a couple of years ago.

Briefly, when TRS Direct put together a promo. for Ryabko's "Beyond the Physical" DVD, they included voice-over commentary using the phrase "psychic power" over footage of Ryabko running an interruption drill with some students. The object of the drill was for the students to move in for an attack, then for Ryabko to gesture with his open palm (representing a "threat", knife, punch, whatever for the purposes of the exercise) which the students were then supposed to avoid by twisting, backing up, falling or whatever they could do.

Taken out of context, the illusion is the Ryabko is somehow manipulating the students' bodies with telekinesis. That was overtly not the point of the drill, which is explained in straightforward tactical and biomechanical terms in the DVD itself. However, most people only saw the promo. excerpt online and jumped to the wrong conclusion. IMO, this is probably what TRS intended by editing the footage together in that way, re. controversy/attention/sales.

Ryabko has recently been quoted to the effect that "psychic power" is a poor English translation for a Russian phrase that means "non-physical methods", in the sense of feinting, psych-outs, etc.
    Huh.....I can honestly say that I learned something today about systema that did not appear like Dungeons&Dragons bullshit. Good post.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345