Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 9:19pm

Style: Shotokan, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Throat Hurts after Choking Drill

We had choking defense drills with non compliant partners. My throat hurts. Anything I should do or just wait it out?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 9:24pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if your throat hurts then the chokes were being applied less than correctly... properly applied chokes should cause pain in the sides of your neck... or perhaps you meant neck but said throat... throat pressure can cause serious injuries... if it is bad you may want to go to a doctor... if it is mild just take some over the counter pain/anti inflamatory meds...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 9:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not too bad. feels like a sore throat when I swallow. Just curious if that happens. thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 9:32pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah sounds like your partner was perhaps being too "non-compliant" and putting pressure on your throat in an effort to foil your defenses... perhaps ask for a little less intensity... or if you can take it just work on protecting your throat as well as your carotids... also get a little input from your instructor... the throat esp. the trachea is pretty fragile... IMO better safe than injured...

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 12:22am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember one time the white belts (me) in BJJ were herded out from the rest of the group and taught several simple chokes and told to practice them.

I think there was 4 of use, so we had plenty of opportunity to do them. Several collar choke variations and the Ezekiel choke if I remember. I think the RNC, too.

Anyway, I couldn't talk right the next day. It sucked. But the throat has muscles and they are like any other muscle. If you beat on it, it will hurt the next day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 4:07am

Style: *********

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiZenDragon
    yeah sounds like your partner was perhaps being too "non-compliant" and putting pressure on your throat in an effort to foil your defenses... perhaps ask for a little less intensity... or if you can take it just work on protecting your throat as well as your carotids... also get a little input from your instructor... the throat esp. the trachea is pretty fragile... IMO better safe than injured...
    First I don't think a training partner can be too non-compliant.

Secondly the trachea is much stronger than you might think. Yes you beat on it, it will sustain some bruising that will make it painful to swallow for a couple of days. Look at this thread to get an idea
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=throat+punch
    Squeezing the carotids enough to actually pass someone out, is also extremely difficult if the person decides to relax see this page for a more detailed explanation
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=58994&page=13
    While it is easy to injure the human organism in a minor/temporary sense, it is very hard to deal real damage to the human body.
    As far as the sore throat thing, take it as you would any other bruise recieved in training.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 10:16am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiZenDragon
    This is all completely wrong, and the op obviously was conflating chokes and strangles (which is completely reasonable since only dumbasses who worry about folding their pants worry about that distinction). The trachea is not that fragile if you're a healthy adult (I'll admit to never having choked the geriatric and thus leave them out).

Also, "foiling defenses" is part of non-compliance and the most important part of training. Of course you do aikido so no one expects you to understand.

To the OP, work your defenses, suck it up and tap if its too much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 10:19am

Style: *********

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    This is all completely wrong, and the op obviously was conflating chokes and strangles (which is completely reasonable since only dumbasses who worry about folding their pants worry about that distinction). The trachea is not that fragile if you're a healthy adult (I'll admit to never having choked the geriatric and thus leave them out).

Also, "foiling defenses" is part of non-compliance and the most important part of training. Of course you do aikido so no one expects you to understand.

To the OP, work your defenses, suck it up and tap if its too much.
    Yup that's pretty much what I wanted to say.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 10:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It isn't really what I wanted to post. However, I didn't think just posting "fag" would suffice since it isn't 5 characters and I actually have no problem with homosexuality.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 10:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The whole idea was to make it realistic so Im not complaining. Not sure if you took it that way. My post was just asking if I should do anything for healing it. Only way to learn is by making it real and we found out quickly how to foil the choke and if you mess up you better get to plan B quickly.

I never had to tap because I always got out but that first real choke got me pretty good and by the time I foiled it, the pain was there...it's all good.

Beats having a guy fly to the ground after hitting him with 5 swords in Kenpo...even though I never actually hit him.
    Last edited by BOXMAN; 12/11/2007 11:01am at .
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast