Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 5:45pm

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well.....

1. I'm an adult...

2. It's up to you to protect yourself from stuff like this happening, and if you don't like it, DONT SIGN.... I trusted people when I should have known better.

3. If I wanted to learn how to kick ass, it wouldn't be in a TKD school....

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First Class1 year registered10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 5:46pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The easiest way to get out of the contract is to fake up the paperwork to show you've moved to an address more than X number of miles from the school. If you have a scanner/printer it's trivial to alter a utility bill to show your address as being somewhere else. I did it to get out of a contract with a TERRIBLE TKD McDojo in florida.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 8:53pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    The easiest way to get out of the contract is to fake up the paperwork to show you've moved to an address more than X number of miles from the school. If you have a scanner/printer it's trivial to alter a utility bill to show your address as being somewhere else. I did it to get out of a contract with a TERRIBLE TKD McDojo in florida.
    What, where, when? I'm kinda interested to see if anyone has had luck getting out of a contract with anything short of this method. How does one go about getting kicked out of their dojang if it is so bad? Most of the instructors hate me, but the students think I'm decent. Is this a good start on the road to breaking free?

Achievements:

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 9:41am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How many pieces of 'proof' did you need? Did you have to send it to the billing company or to your instructor?

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First Class1 year registered10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 10:37am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We had to send a copy of a utility bill showing the new address and it had to be in my name. I had to fax it to the billing company.

The school was Unified TKD near Daytona. It now has an MMA program that has a legit BJJ blue belt teaching, and a good Judo 5th or 6th dan, but the owner is still a useless wanker. He's just very good at getting other people to do the work for him.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 11:42am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not a lawyer, and I don't support contracts for MA schools, but I am curious as to whether this constitutes fraud?

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 11:51am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Though I don't practice in Florida it probably constitutes civil fraud at the very least.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 11:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you tried talking to the owner. Unless the reason for quitting is offensive, he may likely let you out of the contract.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 11:59am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tom.f
    Have you tried talking to the owner. Unless the reason for quitting is offensive, he may likely let you out of the contract.
    Alot of times the contract isnt even with the owner but actualy with a billing company. Sometimes the said owner has ZERO say in the cancelation and simply refers you to the biling company.

As far as getting a utility bill in your name, you can do that legitamitly. You could 'move in' with a friend for a few months and get the bill in your name. You now have a document showing your change of address as well as a friend as a witness that you lived with him. Offer to pay your friend a few months utility and you get yourself out of a contract that can sometimes go into collections for thousands of dollars.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 12:02pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, What I did constitutes fraud. I'm comfortable with that.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast