Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 4:23pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Breaking a School Contract? Anyone ever done this?

I was wondering if this has been touched on before but couldnt find it anywhere. Has anyone ever had to / wanted to break a contract they signed to train at a school? If so how did you do it? What are the legalitys? Did you have trouble with the owner/instructor? Please describe your contract, what went wrong in your training and how you whent about solving it.

Also, any school owners here who have knowledge about the loopholes of getting out of a contract? That would be very helpfull.

Any storys on the subject would be great. Last thing I would want is a collection notice a year from now. Any Kung-fu Lawyers out there?

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 4:34pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want help you will need to post the contract here. Their is nothing illegal about that so don't be afraid. Make sure you remove any personal information. From their it will be a lot easier to help you.

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 4:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight
    If you want help you will need to post the contract here. Their is nothing illegal about that so don't be afraid. Make sure you remove any personal information. From their it will be a lot easier to help you.
    I can do that when I get home from work. But was also wanting to discuss contracts in general for anyone who may also have questions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 4:46pm

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in the middle of doing it with a pile of ****.... you guessed it.... TKD school right now...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 5:11pm

Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In most states there are laws that govern athletic contracts.

I am not a lawyer so pls correct me if I am wrong here. We've been recently looking into(and actually started) contracting people in my club. In MD you can void a contract like that if you:

1. are injured or incapacitated so that you can not train (with doctor's documentation)
    2. loose your job (again, documented)
    3. move more than 25 miles away from the club (and possibly any associated facility) (documented)
    4. sometimes the gym owners add a clause that says that you can void a contract for other reasons that they have personally examined and deemed appropriate, that usually means that they are willing to talk to you and make a deal.

If you do not fall under 1-4, the billing company will be bothering you for a while and then pass the case to a collection agency. If you do not sort it out within certain time frame it will start showing on your credit record and may affect your eligibility to take out loans later.

Tomas

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 5:13pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to class with old fish in your pockets, walk up to your instructor, pee your pants, and politely ask if you could be let out of your contract.

A note from a doctor could also help.

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 5:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Found this finally. Very interesting.

http://www.bullshido.com/articles/ad...contracts.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 6:31pm

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MA contracts can be some of the meanest things out there.... I signed mine as an idiot who trusted his instructor..... ALWAYS take care of yourself first....

I am paying 1600$ today to get out of it...

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 6:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chizilds
    MA contracts can be some of the meanest things out there.... I signed mine as an idiot who trusted his instructor..... ALWAYS take care of yourself first....

I am paying 1600$ today to get out of it...
    Are you serious man? You couldnt find some other way out of it? I was wondering if anyones every tried to get kicked out of there school? That would be fucking hilarious.

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 6:43pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it would be easy to get kicked out of a martial arts school (hell, Ive been kicked out of several schools [and one whorehouse]). What if you challenged your instructor to a fight, and if you win, you get to leave. If you cant kick his ass, maybe you could stick around and learn something.

I'm from Sacramento, is it a TKD school?
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast