Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2007 1:44pm

Style: *********

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve
    It has always baffled me as to why people who clearly have some skill, or at least apparent solid outcomes from their clubs, need to inflatye so much.
    Why does every Karate Dojo have walls lined with trophies, though this has gotten better, during the 80s and 90s Dojos looked like trophy shops from the outside.

It is advertising. Every MA has to either be taught be a world champion, grandmaster of sport, soke and black belt hall of famer, who either was in some super-secret ultra-deadly military unit, or have been trained by someone who was. Otherwise your MA is useless.

I remember as a Kid scorning the BJJ and Judo classes taught at the YMCA(no trophies after all) and favoring the McDojo Shotokan and Iron-Cobra places. Fortunately my parents had more sense, and though they gave me the TKD that I wanted, they found the only school in a 50mi radius that actually had a full contact program once you achieved 6th Gup, that did not cost extra but was mandatory for advancement(and didn't charge test fees only charged for the belts once you earned them woo $5).

Unfortunately too many instructors give into it instead of showing integrity and thus ruin it for the rest of us. Look I am having a hard time finding a training partner for ROSS/Kadochnikov/Pramek who I am willing to teach for free just to have someone to work with, because it is not ninjutsu, I don't have a wall of trophies, and I refuse to play up the GRU-Spetz connection, so obviously it is no good.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/08/2007 11:05pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Melk, I comprehend it, I just can't see myself doing it...LOL.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2007 8:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On to more entertaining things. How do we go about setting up the match for Serge? I could post on the other guys forum if you think that would help. I would really like to see this go down.

Posted On:
    12/09/2007 12:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    heh...I gotta get through the "holidaze" first, then what? Issue a challenge to a bunch of dudes who essentially don't want to fight but will charge you all kinds of $ to "teach you how"? lol

Per usual, I'm avoiding getting too specific but I've been coaching a guy (who's now become a friend/comrade) with basically no MMA experience. He fought and won the Combat Sambo match we trained him for and his opponent didn't give any credit or respect. As well, the "tribe" reaction was like the sort of disbelief you get out of the ninjitsu crowd: "So&so was trained by this here BB-tard so how could he lose? This is amazing."

Not really, we actually studied the rule set and figured out where the opponent would be weak and went after that. Boring really.

There's been a year of blogging related to this match and we've been fully anticipating a rematch. We all thought the fight was going to go down during a recent seminar. No such luck.

I think that they didn't put the fight on because they didn't want a highly ranked coach to lose two in a row to someone who hasn't the same pedigree. At the end of the seminar this loser was then promoted!?!

I used to think I'd like to train with these clowns...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2007 1:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If we are talking about the coach from Bellingham WA who used to hail from Lancaster PA, believe it or not I have trained with him, he was my first Sambo coach, but then you probably figured that out from some of the other stuff I have written. Now I don't know what he is like now, but my wrestling background, in addition to spending a summer helping sparring with my old wrestling coach's kid(the coach was a second Dan in Judo and was trying to get his kid ready for BB) I could hold my own with him on the mat. He would win, but only points, I could wiggle out of his subs and other such things(this was years ago and I will give him credit he may have improved). I would like to see someone with a real Sambo record give him a run for his money though. Just to see what is really going on.

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 3:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by melk
    If we are talking about the coach from Bellingham WA who used to hail from Lancaster PA, believe it or not I have trained with him, he was my first Sambo coach, but then you probably figured that out from some of the other stuff I have written. Now I don't know what he is like now, but my wrestling background, in addition to spending a summer helping sparring with my old wrestling coach's kid(the coach was a second Dan in Judo and was trying to get his kid ready for BB) I could hold my own with him on the mat. He would win, but only points, I could wiggle out of his subs and other such things(this was years ago and I will give him credit he may have improved). I would like to see someone with a real Sambo record give him a run for his money though. Just to see what is really going on.
    Yep, we're talking about the very same "Zelig"

It's not even that I want a "sure match". I don't. I want to be challenged in my training; I'll answer to my inadequacies as a coach, shortcomings as a Sambist etc. This is how you improve yourself, NOT by distorting the hell out of yourself and overselling your bullshit, pissing off people in the doing...

The most intimidating thing I've ever done wasn't some tourney or bout (I enjoy that stuff win or lose) it was open-Randori at Sambo 70 in Moscow. Holy F*k!! 150-200 Judo/Sambists in this 10,000 sq ft space and it was intense and I was mostly out of my leauge but it was a crash course in funky grips and total commitment that you'd never get out of a stupid, overpriced DVD with overdone semantics.

One of my training tenents is that untested theory is just that: untested. I think that the "man behind the curtain" needs to come out, or he needs to produce his own fighter that can actually execute this stuff, rather than cherry-picking other people's vids to prove his points.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 4:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    Yep, we're talking about the very same "Zelig"

It's not even that I want a "sure match". I don't. I want to be challenged in my training; I'll answer to my inadequacies as a coach, shortcomings as a Sambist etc. This is how you improve yourself, NOT by distorting the hell out of yourself and overselling your bullshit, pissing off people in the doing...

The most intimidating thing I've ever done wasn't some tourney or bout (I enjoy that stuff win or lose) it was open-Randori at Sambo 70 in Moscow. Holy F*k!! 150-200 Judo/Sambists in this 10,000 sq ft space and it was intense and I was mostly out of my leauge but it was a crash course in funky grips and total commitment that you'd never get out of a stupid, overpriced DVD with overdone semantics.

One of my training tenents is that untested theory is just that: untested. I think that the "man behind the curtain" needs to come out, or he needs to produce his own fighter that can actually execute this stuff, rather than cherry-picking other people's vids to prove his points.
    Personally when he said Frank Shamrock didn't know how to roll, I rolled my eyes.

As far as the Semantics, haven't you heard, it's not because he knows how to use a Thesaurus, but because he is a genius!! Its all over his forum apparently he got himself into Mensa. When he gets himself into Prometheus or Omega(both of which I have) then I will be slightly impressed. However, being in a high intelligence society doesn't make you a genius, it just means you know how to take the right tests.

Yes I would like to see him either step up or shut up as well. He has talked enough trash about how no one is as good as him, and how know one can coach as well as him(though he gives mail order belt rank), that I think it is time he actually prove himself where he has a field of competitors, not just in a tourney where no one else showed up that day.

I know that he was challenged by a Russian Master of Sport, and he himhawwed his way out of it. He made all kinds of excuses about training cycles and scheduling conflicts. However looking back I believe it was because of the old saying, first in world=9th in Russia, and he knew he was in for an assbeating.

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 7:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by melk

As far as the Semantics, haven't you heard, it's not because he knows how to use a Thesaurus, but because he is a genius!! Its all over his forum apparently he got himself into Mensa. When he gets himself into Prometheus or Omega(both of which I have) then I will be slightly impressed. However, being in a high intelligence society doesn't make you a genius, it just means you know how to take the right tests.
    *Eddie Murphy voice* "Get thaFuck outta here!!" Mensa? What a jackass! More material for his nuthuggers so coddle and fetish.

Is there a BS thread on MensaBS? I'll have to do a search...

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 1:17am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Serge, I hear ya about open sparring at sambo 70! Biggest test I ever had...pretty intimidating. 100 guys waiting to toss you and test you. Can't say nobody showed up...LOL.

Mensa...big deal. Do they factor ego into those IQ tests?

I know that he was challenged by a Russian Master of Sport, and he himhawwed his way out of it. He made all kinds of excuses about training cycles and scheduling conflicts.
    I would be curious to hear that story. He was supposed to compete in our Battle of Brooklyn 4 man sambo tournament in 06 along with Doug Fournet, Khassan Baiev, and Ryan Ahearn (maybe Sherzod Voyidov - I don't recall who replaced him when he backed out). In any event, he backed out claiming that he was focusing on competing in the Mundials instead. He never did that either.

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 2:02am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve
    In any event, he backed out claiming that he was focusing on competing in the Mundials instead. He never did that either.
    Are the Mudials open to everybody? What division would he be competing in since to my knowledge he has not rank in BJJ.
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast