Our Sponsors:

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/12/2008 5:06pm

Style: kick boxing, nogi jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    its crazy though because they actually do train yosmany "the spartan" cabezas and his records not bad and he fought in elite xc. im checking out all their fighters now.

Posted On:
    2/26/2010 7:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Trained there

Greets all. Ive trained with Bill in the garage studio. You guys may question the origin and extent of his martial knowlege and I can not enlighten you in that department. But having trained there I can tell you this - the training there is hardcore and the students are mostly professional fighters. The assistant instructor (Yosmany Cabezas) was fighting for Bellator not sure if he still does. I havent trained there in a while but it was basically like a type of bootcamp for fighters, you train nonstop from the time the first bell rings till it ends 2 or more hours later. The stuff Bill taught was all mma related it wasnt seperate like you see in many schools/gyms. Well anyway I just stumbled across this thread here and saw someone said they wanted to hear from a student , probably ancient history from the looks of it just figured id answer and join up for the forum tc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2010 8:02am

Style: ex-BJJ, ex-TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boagrius View Post
    Greets all. Ive trained with Bill in the garage studio. You guys may question the origin and extent of his martial knowlege and I can not enlighten you in that department. But having trained there I can tell you this - the training there is hardcore and the students are mostly professional fighters. The assistant instructor (Yosmany Cabezas) was fighting for Bellator not sure if he still does. I havent trained there in a while but it was basically like a type of bootcamp for fighters, you train nonstop from the time the first bell rings till it ends 2 or more hours later. The stuff Bill taught was all mma related it wasnt seperate like you see in many schools/gyms. Well anyway I just stumbled across this thread here and saw someone said they wanted to hear from a student , probably ancient history from the looks of it just figured id answer and join up for the forum tc.
    sorry for the necro but, to boagrius:

VIDEOS PLEASE.

preferably made personally. with personal(you) introductions and such. that way your post will gain credibility.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 9:43am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Necro this old thread because Carlos Cummings and I were just in Tampa teaching a seminar and someone mentioned that there was a sambo guy in Tampa. I asked who...

http://williambanks2.com/home.html
    http://thespartangym.com/VT1.html
    http://banksmma.com/

His current bio from banksmma.com:
    Bill Banks has been a lifelong martial artist, studying a variety of grappling and striking styles, focusing mostly on the art of Jiu-Jitsu. His instructors include Michael Edelstein, Paul Mazzarelle, and Marco Garcia. A few years after earning his Jiu-Jitsu black belt in 1989, Banks joined the Air Force
    and was stationed at MacDill AFB where he began teaching his own particular method of Jiu-Jitsu. In 1996 he had the opportunity to train with Rickson Gracie during his American seminar tour. In 2002 he operated the Defensive Tactics Institute in Tampa, eventually opening Banks Jiu Jitsu in 2006. Since forming Banks Jiu Jitsu, he has helped create State
    Middle-Weight Champion Yosmany Cabezas; State Bantam-Weight
    Champion Geane Herrera; as well as a number of other talented
    professional and amateur fighters, including Dervin Lopez, Sean Hollis, and Julian Bryan. Banks now trains students to compete in nationally ranked Jiu-Jitsu tournaments and for self defense and self improvement.

Asked about what he considers the most important aspect of Jiu-Jitsu to be, Banks says "It's taken me many years to finally realize that Jiu-Jitsu is all about becoming a better person, helping others achieve their goals, and to train together as family, never bad mouthing one another and always striving to further the beauty of Jiu-Jitsu and human potential. I still
    have a long way to go. I'm still growing; and I'm still messing up from time to time." In his drive to always become a better Jiu-Jitsu instructor and student, he continues to attend classes and seminars from world class instructors; most recently attending a seminar with world class competitor and Gracie Barra black belt Fabiana Borges. He also trains with Gracie Barra black belt Professor Michael Geery who he considers a close friend,
    inspiration, and true brother in the world of jiu jitsu; and life.
    He does not mention sambo in the current bio, but he still is claiming it has he contacted some folks connected to the seminar Carlos and I just taught and it...noting his sambo background.

He does mention it in this one from thespartangym.com

Bill Banks
    Head Coach / Personal Trainer
    Vale Tudo and Conditioning

Bill Banks is a lifelong martial artist who
    has trained in a variety of styles,
    including boxing, muay Thai, jiu-jitsu,
    sambo, wrestling, kali, and others.
    He is a black belt in freestyle jiu-jitsu,
    and has been teaching the martial arts
    for over fifteen years.
    While in college he fought in Canada
    for the WUKBO and IFC-CAN,
    in fights that were the precursors for
    modern MMA,
    leaving undefeated with 12 victories.
    Ever dedicated to testing himself and his
    continuously evolving methods,
    he often participated in a variety of
    unsanctioned matches,
    his most recent victory over Carl Jevis.
    He taught at MacDill AFB
    from 1992 to 2000,
    where he was stationed
    while in the military, and had the
    opportunity to work with members of
    SOCOM and CENTCOM.
    He served as head trainer for the
    Defensive Tactics Institute
    in Tampa,
    until forming the Spartan Gym in
    June of 2006.

"The proof is in the training,
    not the credentials."
    - Bill
    LOL at the last part of the quote!

This is the old NHBGear thread about him:
    http://www.nhbgear.com/forum/index.p...c,67289.0.html
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910