Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 9:08am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I have kids, they will do judo until high school, then they have the choice of what to do (although I will push them towards wrestling in addition to any other arts they want to do). Hopefully they will stay with it, but I want to make sure at a bare minimum, they know how to throw, choke, and break people.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2007 9:24am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Fistic

In the class they were saying what they did was like MMA but before MMA was invented. Not gonna lie bruv, I didn't understand it myself.

So he was saying that like a Kung Fu technique is used then a Reality Self Defense thing then another and that means it's MMA!
    Well, if they're studying pankration, that literally was "MMA before MMA was invented", in the sense that it combined kicking, boxing and submission wrestling. Especially if they're affiliated with Jim Arvanitis' association, they would have a legitimate claim in that direction; even if not (and many pankration systems are post-UFC 1), the original Greek pankration was undoubtedly very similar to modern MMA.

Were they talking in a historical context or were they saying "our organization pre-dates the rise of modern MMA"?

Posted On:
    12/15/2007 12:41am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yo! I found out that this is the same guy who set up the Pankration academy that some guy called JF Springer (JFS, JFS_USA, bunch of other names) said he was teaching for.

If you search the forums for JFS it comes up how he was saying he was an instructor for these cats and that they are bogus.

They are saying kung fu + being a copper + Reality fighting = Pankration.

They also said when I went that they don't spar or compete.

You guys already did a heads up on this JFS guy but the other guy is doing more websites and stuff.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/15/2007 7:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Non-contact pankration. Awesome.

I'm going to start a non-contact school of folkstyle wrestling. We will be far superior to junior high wrestling programs because we will develop our students into complete warriors who live to serve society and God. We will not compete or wrestle because those things lead to aggression and an unhealthy emphasis on skill and conditioning.

Posted On:
    12/16/2007 11:53pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KRINGUS
    Non-contact pankration. Awesome.

I'm going to start a non-contact school of folkstyle wrestling. We will be far superior to junior high wrestling programs because we will develop our students into complete warriors who live to serve society and God. We will not compete or wrestle because those things lead to aggression and an unhealthy emphasis on skill and conditioning.
    That's funny bruv. Thing is though right, in that school they were talking about all these fancy names of techniques and stuff but doing it all really slowly when they were showing what to do. Messed up if you ask me.

It's a shame if breh's are making money off teaching this crap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2007 1:07am

Style: Tae Kwon Do/ Gumdo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm I thought the History' Channel Human Weapon did a good piece on pankration however I seriously doubt that the same form of pankration was used 3,000+ years ago. However it does seem like a reliable martial art if the instructor is good.

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 4:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kyokushinkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yea but this one's not. from what i read of those old threads hes a video-taught chinese kung fu teacher who is best freinds with that JFS dude who Osiris whupped, who then became a tibetan kung fu teacher, and now has rocked up with a pancration website linked in with various homeschool & therapy wierdness and all sorts of cerification in pancration. dodgy as hell.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123