Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2007 2:28am

Style: *********

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington
    Sports teams have had Spartan mascots for decades.
    Yes I realize this. However there has seemed to be a bit of a surge in the name usage for MA Gyms after The 300. Kind of like the number of gyms that were named "Fight Club" about a decade ago. Now if Bas Ruten or Frank Shammrock want to call their gym "Fight Club" or "Spartan Warriors" whatever, they can back up the claim. However, when it is used as hype to get people to join, it is a warning sign to me. Hence I said I am "leary", as opposed to "I shake my head and walk away."

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    12/07/2007 11:11am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_malk
    Judo was the best choice for my kids. I have two girls and the local judo club seems like teh best fit. Yes it lacks strikeing but i don't think i want my 6 or 8 yesr old to be thinking about punching or kicking some kid in school. Plus a good judo club has no problesm makeing a kids sit out and watch every pne else have fun. something about not haveing to worry about getting money from mom and dads means they can actuly discipline students who aren't behaveing or paying attention, and catch such actions.
    Judo does seem like a good choice, since it's usually run through a YMCA or somesuch and as you mentioned, not commercialized.
    There are a couple of people at my club who started doing Judo with their children - it seems like a good way to get kids involved, stay active, and bond with your children all at once.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2007 11:36am

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lAKEDAMON!!!!!!!

Lol joking aside, skip it. Kids would be better in kiddies Boxing or Judo.

Posted On:
    12/07/2007 12:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kyokushinkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

wait?

this is not the same Steve Richards, who used to post on kung fu forums a lot ? the close friend of JFS USA ? was he not also in Liverpool from memory? he was always very knowledgeable, a respected poster

http://www.google.com/search?steve+richards+pankration

some of the old bullshido threads Google finds are very funny. if it is the same person I thought he was from Tibetan Lion Kung Fu. maybe I was wrong

Posted On:
    12/07/2007 1:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by melk
    Yes I realize this. However there has seemed to be a bit of a surge in the name usage for MA Gyms after The 300. Kind of like the number of gyms that were named "Fight Club" about a decade ago.
    Was this gym founded after the movie, or before it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2007 1:20pm

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If this is Arvanitis school, then they had hard on for Spartans way before 300.

Posted On:
    12/09/2007 10:26pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I check out the school last week like you said.

I'll be sending my boy to judo or something else because they were doing all kinds of mixed up stuff at this pankration place.

First off theer was no sparring or anything like that. Not the adults, no one.

The dude was saying stuff about kung fu all the time and things from indian martial arts and tibetan martial arts and it was a big jumble of stuff.

I don't understand why mixing up lots of stuff from other styles makes it MMA (he was talking all long about how much he knew about that too as if he was an expert but he didn't look much like a fighter) or Pankration.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 12:07am

Style: *********

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tibetan arts can be really good. Take Tescao for example, I know a lot of people that hold that art in very high regard.

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 2:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kyokushinkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this is him then?

Old Bullshido Thread - Steven Richards Pankration

keep well away

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 10:41pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seeen. Just read that thread. So this guy part of an organization that was alreday smacked up on here?

So how's it going down that he has more organizations now and they are all new?

In the class they were saying what they did was like MMA but before MMA was invented. Not gonna lie bruv, I didn't understand it myself.

So he was saying that like a Kung Fu technique is used then a Reality Self Defense thing then another and that means it's MMA!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast