Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 11:55am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Spartan Warriors?

I was looking for a MMA type scholl that trained youngsters for my boy and one in my area looked pretty good. Nice website. Lots of info:

http://www.spartan-warriors.net/

So I was looking about and noticed that they were recognised by some important looking organisation's:

http://www.spartan-warriors.net/recognition.htm

So I clicked he links on that page:

www.pankrationacademy.com
    www.gbfpa.com

And it turns out the the guys governing this teacher is actually the same guy who runs the spartan warriors programme.

So then I clicked some of the other links:
    http://www.renaissance-academy.com/
    http://www.beaconlighteducation.com/

And these are weird sites about psychology and home scholling but also by the same guy.

I don't know but I just get a bad feeling about this. I don't want to send my boy for kids classes at a dodgy place.

They have a public class at a school so surely the school wouldn't allow anyone to teach martial arts right?

What is your take on it since you've been checking out martial arts places for longer than me?

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 1:48pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you visited the place? Check it out on your own. You have Muay Thai listed as a style so you should be able to evaluate a school.

I don't have any opinion or knowledge of this school but a general comment: Even if a place is totally legitimate as a fighting school, it still needs to meet your requirements as a father and match your philosophy for raising your children. Also, when it comes to our children don't ignore your gut, investigate thoroughly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 8:58pm

Style: *********

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I am still wary of Pankration in general. Something about revival MA's that always make me wonder. I want to wait to see how it plays out in the MMA world. Even if it makes it as an Olympic sport, I am still hesitant... curling is an Olympic sport, and the even gave Bridge(yes the card game) a trial run.

Second I am leary of the Spartan logo. Yes The 300 was a kick ass movie, however the battle of Thermopylae was 300 Spartans and 6700 soldiers from other city states(for all of you who liked the scene where the Spartans kicked the Persians into the well, they did actually do that, but then so did the Athenians, before them actually). As for the final stand it was the Spartans and 1700 other Greeks, the rest of the Army had been sent away. All the while the Athenian Navy was hammering the piss out of the Persian Navy thus keeping them from landing adequate reinforcements or supplies. All of this to say that they seem to be trying to make a name off of movie hype and not necessarily proven fighting superiority.

So check the school out and get a feel for it.

How old is your kid btw?

Finally instead of looking for an MMA school straight off, especially if he is younger, think of sticking him in a local club that does a grappling and striking arts, but seperately. This may get tired but one of the US SpecOps units trained in Judo and Boxing for the first twenty years of its existance. Both are hard core MAs and tend to be a little more youth friendly. If you can't find a good MMA school that caters to youth, something like this might be your best option.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 12:11am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu Swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eh, I like Pankration alright. It's like MMA mixed with HEMA minus face punches plus Greek nationalism. You can do worse than that.

Also, this page has a really nice article from the 1890's on Pankration:
    http://www.spartan-warriors.net/modern_pankration.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 5:37pm

Style: Poor mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "minus face punches"

Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu Swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chi-conspiricy
    "minus face punches"

Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face.
    This would definitely be the biggest drawback of Pankration. Maybe have them do boxing once a week as a supplement? They'll get punched in the head plenty there.

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 6:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kyokushinkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is this guy saying he teaches all these things, therapy, pancration, home schooling? clever guy if a bit of a jack of all trades. it alos says he built all the websites as well.

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 7:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by melk

Second I am leary of the Spartan logo.
    Sports teams have had Spartan mascots for decades.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 9:56pm

Style: Poor mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    This would definitely be the biggest drawback of Pankration. Maybe have them do boxing once a week as a supplement? They'll get punched in the head plenty there.
    Or Kiddy mma/kickboxing works better, if available.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 10:43pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo was the best choice for my kids. I have two girls and the local judo club seems like teh best fit. Yes it lacks strikeing but i don't think i want my 6 or 8 yesr old to be thinking about punching or kicking some kid in school. Plus a good judo club has no problesm makeing a kids sit out and watch every pne else have fun. something about not haveing to worry about getting money from mom and dads means they can actuly discipline students who aren't behaveing or paying attention, and catch such actions.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast