Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 10:21am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually that looks like a nice thing (an xmas present for myself).

Another thing to mention is the health benefits that come with sound grip training (sound == no overtraining:P). A good, strong and flexible grip will keep carpal tunnel and tendonitis at bay.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 1:28pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That climbing board is pretty cool. I boulder a bunch in Central Park during fair weather, which had some nice side-effects on my grip. Also, many parkour (I know, I know, shut up about the parkour) drills are good for finger and grip strength.

As for whether one needs to drill grip on top of other weight lifting exercises, my father's dead lift PR dead-ended at 600 lbs because he just couldn't keep hold of the bar past that point (he, like me, refused straps and wraps out of an odd sense of principle).
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did he use chalk?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 4:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Did he use chalk?
    God knows what kind of chalk substitute was popular in prison yards during the late 60s. Talcum, maybe?
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 4:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In that case, probably none (which is impressive by itself). Talcum may actually act as a lubricant.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 5:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Talcum may actually act as a lubricant.
    Shows what I know. I've only ever used chalk for rock climbing, and even then it felt like cheating.

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 5:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on the purpose. I kinda feel the same with straps; my last DLs have been without them and with little chalk, but I'm coming to the point where my grip will give up before I can actually hit my posterior chain (which is my main goal.)

So, I'm planning on the next following weeks to rely on straps and chalk on my DLs, and for grip alone, use CoC and a pair of dumbbells with 2" handles I made a while ago.

The chalk may feel like cheating when climbing, but it helps you work out longer (thus hitting other parts of your body) before your grip gives up... and it's not like your grip is getting a free pass. Chalk or no chalk, you are still banging the **** out of it :P
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 12/06/2007 5:56pm at .

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't feel like chalk is cheating just because I don't think how much you sweat should really be a determining factor on lifting capabilities. The fact it's allowed in powerlifting, strongman and the olympics helps my conscious there =P
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 8:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    The chalk may feel like cheating when climbing [...]
    Just to be clear: I totally respect and support the decision to use chalk, straps, or whatever to achieve one's personal goals.

In the case of lifting, I get nervous when I reach the limit of what I can do without a weight belt/straps/chalk/whatever, worrying that maybe I'm going to push my big muscles past the tolerance of my small muscles, tendons and ligaments, thus setting myself up for mechanical imbalances and injuries while doing sport. This is one of the reasons I favor supplementing the classic power exercises with a bunch of stuff pirated from gymnastics, yoga and pilates.

With climbing I have this weird aesthetic preference for climbing barefoot without chalk to keep me in mind of what it might have been like for earlier humans facing nature. In that same vein, I prefer free climbing to climbing with gear, which leads me to do more bouldering than anything else because... well, you know, death.

As a concession to weather and personal safety, I ultimately bought a pair of these Vibram Five Fingers shoes. They're unbelievably great. I wear them when lifting, doing parkour, hiking, climbing, and so on, which allows me to work the small muscles of my ankles and feet in a way that no other shoe ever has. Also, I can use my feet to actively grip things while climbing, instead of just using my foot as a wedge:

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 9:08pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am inexplicably attracted to those shoes, despite the fact that they are goofy as ****.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast