Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 9:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, ok.

Edit: Actually no, not ok. This thread pisses me off. It coulda be such a great thread about grip training, how to get a powerful grip, tools for a powerful grip, secrets of the great grip masters, but instead you come in here with some "gee whiz" crap about Franco Columbo and how you don't want him touching you. Screw that, this thread sucks and is now about grip training.

One of the greatest sites out there is grippage.com

There's also the infamous grip board.

Calling all teenagers: If you get certified on the Captains of Crush grippers (3 or 4), Ironmind will donated $500 to Jesse Marunde's family.

You can get CoC grippers off of amazon.com or ironmind.com

I can close the 2.5 for a few reps on the right hand, working towards the 3.
    Last edited by Emevas; 12/04/2007 9:50pm at .
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 10:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually he showed how he trained, he would do a very heavy dead lift then let the barbell roll down his fingers, then curl the bar back into his palms with his fingers, he would also pinch grip two 45 lb York Olympic plates facing each other with just the strength of his fingers for timed holds, all this along with his pinch grip chins. Franco was also a boxing champion from his country and started his grip training then, felt it added to the power in his punches. When I see you do 10 pinch grip chins off a 2 by 4, I'll say " gee whiz" about you too. I was impressed by the mans strength and posted this thread about it. If it pisses you off (maybe a little jealous because you can't do it) who cares. Start your own thread, lets us know when you can close that 2.5 with your left hand.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 11:08pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a routine from gripboard.com for people just getting started in grip training. It seems like a good rampup to develop a basic grip.

Quote Originally Posted by gripboard.com
    I seem to be seeing a lot of newbies jumping into all sorts of feats of strength's, including bending before they have got any real base strength in the hands and wrists.

This is what I would advise to the pure beginner to start with, for a good few months before he/she decides on the path they want to choose. I think this will stop a lot of injuries that are happening due to imbalances between certain areas.

Exercises
    1. Two Hands Pinch Lift for holds, also use work gloves to protect your skin.
    2. Finger curls with an Olympic Bar, overhand grip. Hold it on the last set when you can't do anymore finger curls.
    3. Two Hand Wrist Curl. Normal, with a comfortable range of motion. Do not let the bar go into your fingertips like some bodybuilders do, also do them with your thumb under the bar as you are training your wrists and don't want to fight against the thumb digit on top of the bar.
    4. Two Hands Reverse Wrist Curl.

Do the Pinch holds for 10-15 secs, and the other exercises for 15-20 reps.

1. How often?
    I would do them 3 times a week if you can, but twice a week if struggling with this.

2. How many sets of each?
    I would say 3 sets per exercise, which you should easily do quickly. If this is a struggle then go down to 2 sets.

3. What about crushing?
    The 'crushing' exercise is Finger curls with an Olympic Bar, overhand grip. This is an easy exercise to learn for the beginner and doesn't have the techniques of setting, etc. Grippers can be brought in later when they want to excel at this implement.

4. Why the gloves with pinching?
    You can easily tear the skin in between the index finger and thumb, which would put you out of action, especially since you will be pinching 3 times a week. This initial program for the beginners is all about strengthening, and the gloves will make it a tougher exercise, but safer for the skin.

5. Should you do all these exercises on one day?
    Yes. In the order I stated.

Hope this helps,
    David
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 11:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by owthathurts
    Actually he showed how he trained, he would do a very heavy dead lift then let the barbell roll down his fingers, then curl the bar back into his palms with his fingers, he would also pinch grip two 45 lb York Olympic plates facing each other with just the strength of his fingers for timed holds, all this along with his pinch grip chins. Franco was also a boxing champion from his country and started his grip training then, felt it added to the power in his punches. When I see you do 10 pinch grip chins off a 2 by 4, I'll say " gee whiz" about you too. I was impressed by the mans strength and posted this thread about it. If it pisses you off (maybe a little jealous because you can't do it) who cares. Start your own thread, lets us know when you can close that 2.5 with your left hand.
    Lol @ "UR JUST JELOUS!"

No, I'm upset because you posted a thread in a heavily moderated section of bullshido dedicated toward the pursuit of physical training that contributed nothing but just you saying "WOW, I LIKE FRANCO LOL!" The thread could have had so much potential, such as you posting Franco's training routine, footage of his grip ability, a general discussion of grip training, low cost grip training solutions, etc, but it was basically you thinking out loud.

The thread is good now though, because you have contributed towards the discussion at hand. Thank you.

BTW: If I ever do anything you find impressive, you have my personal permission to not go "gee whiz" over it online. If you want, do it in your mind, that's cool.
    "Emevas,

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 3:46am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of curiousity, is it generally held true that grip training is necessary on top of other weights training, especially for newbies?

Say a feller does his benches, deadlifts and rows, would grip training be necessarily required on top of that, or would the grip required for such exercises be enough? (Is there 'enough grip'?)

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 10:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grip training is necessary for almost every activity on earth. Do it 2-3 times a week on top of weights.
    "Emevas,

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crap dumped here : http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63464

owthathurts, read this and comply:

Rules and Important Threads of the PT Forums:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61712

Rules and Main Threads on Weight Training, Grip Training, Powerlifting, Weightlifting And related topics:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61598

Quote Originally Posted by socratic
    Out of curiousity, is it generally held true that grip training is necessary on top of other weights training, especially for newbies?
    The sooner you incorporate grip training, the better. Just keep in mind not to over-train. Basically what Emevas said.

Quote Originally Posted by socratic
    Say a feller does his benches, deadlifts and rows, would grip training be necessarily required on top of that, or would the grip required for such exercises be enough? (Is there 'enough grip'?)
    Enough in relation to what my friend? For a particular sport, it's possible to get enough grip, but OTH, the stronger your grip, the better. It always is.

Easiest thing to do is to wrap cut-out pieces of of pool noodles around barbells and dumbell handles on a regular basis, like this

or a thick rope or towel, like this:

The former forces us to use your thumb, the later taxes your fingers and its flexors (in particular the ring and pinkie).

Easiest, cheapest way to incorporate grip training to your existing equipment. If you can afford a CoC gripper (or equivalent) go for it.

Check the mega-thread we have on grip training, lots of stuff in it.

-- ed --

socratic, if you do or are planning to do grappling with a gi, be mindful that your grip is already been trained. Adding further grip training is good, but you should not do it as often to avoid over training.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 12/05/2007 11:10am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 7:51pm

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Emevas and Macho- I don't participate in any martialism or even any sports at the moment (was a lazy **** at school, just finished college [years 11 and 12]), but I'm hunting for a good BJJ spot in my city. I'll admit my understanding of grip was very limited- I didn't realise it should be trained like the rest of your muscles (ie stronger is better than weaker, etc). Will incorporate. Thanks!

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 7:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't say sports, I said activities. You'd be amazed at the things grip training comes in handy for. I open all the jars in my house, tore apart cubicle furniture with my bare hands at my job, and got to crush some karate dudes wrist when he did the stupid "grab my wrist" crap to me =P
    "Emevas,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 5:15am

Style: Wing Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're not into using weights you could buy a climbing board

here's a guy doing a workout using one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fBEE4OlXZo
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast