Administrator

Posted On:
    10/29/2003 10:11pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by NSLightsOut
    At the time Maeda left Japan, I believe the two terms (Kodokan Judo and Kodokan Jujitsu) were interchangeable.
    You are correct, but the Judo Guys don't like hearing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    10/29/2003 10:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as intercahnable as the trems may have been, no jujutsu guy wanted to be associated with a "sport".
    There was ALOT of resistence to Kano's Judo, until it was proven very effective, of course the guy who was most responsible for prvong it, was actually an akikjujutsu guy.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/30/2003 2:02am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Maybe Asia'll help me out

Originally posted by fragbot
    But it's possible (likely?) that Kodokan judo was still called kodokan jujutsu when Maeda left on his barnstorming tour.
    PPLE TAKE NOTE!!!!

Yes Kodokan Judo was also called Kano ryu Jujutsu BUT it was firmly extablished as JUDO when Maeda was barnstorming. The reason Maeda later called his art JJ stems from to possible reasons 1) sources say Maeda was EXPELLED from the Kodokan for three years. Given how the Japanese feel about MA, loyalty, giri, etc he wouldn't want to be seen teaching an art of a org he was expelled from. 2) Maeda altered the normal Judo cirriculum and even though JUDO was the base he didn't have the authority to change it hence distancing himself. Others have done this as well.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    10/30/2003 2:23am

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Choke, there is a big difference between Judo and JuJitsu. Maybe you are just a newbie to the MA world? I suggest you do some research."

I have been doing martial arts for only 4 years so I do consider myself a n00b!

I made no such statement however. I said the similiarities in Judo and BJJ are very apparrent. Both styles can perform ::all:: the moves in their curriculum at full speed unlike classical Jujitsu. The gap between BJJ and JJJ is much larger than Judo and JJJ.

I was not saying or implying that JJJ and Judo were the same thing.
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/30/2003 5:02am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Anthony
    You are correct, but the Judo Guys don't like hearing that.
    Not true AA!!! *in psuedo mystical asian voice* You must consult the master.

1) Judo was a term first used by the Jikishin school.

2) Kano was know first as a JJ master. His creation was referred to as KANO RYU JJ. Since he birth it and the term Judo hadn't taken hold publicly.

3) Kodokan Judoka know this stuff the BJJ crowd are the ones that need help with history. Especially if they even thing what they do is similar or derived from Koryu JJ. Judo isnt that similar to Koryu JJ, well PRE WW Judo is a more similar wher e kata and goho ate was a main part of circulim.

4) EGGS are not as bad for you as pple first thought.

Now go play.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    10/30/2003 5:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah , what IS it with motherfuckers and Eggs , anyway ?

Posted On:
    10/30/2003 8:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Serge Mol's book, CLASSIC FIGHTING ARTS OF JAPAN a guide to Koryu Jujutsu. Is a good start for pple trying to understand Japanese JJ. The majority of pple, especially the BJJ crowd:P, don't really know what JJJ is and should STFU until I tell them for I am their Lord.......er I mean should read the book.
    Noted. But a book is a book...it doesn't necessarily have suffcient evidence to back itself up.

"Jujutsu: By the seventeeth century, there were over 750 forms of Jujutsu in Japan. The diversity meant that the term embraced everything from weapons and strikes to grappling. Jiagaro Kano's judo eventually replaced Japanese Jujutsu" - Clyde Gentry III, No Holds Barred: The story of ultimate fighting [UK edition] [ [more on this subject in the book.]

Judo, the first martial sport,
    Wasn't Muay Thai around before Judo?

OMG!!! LOOK AT THAT PICTURE !!!!!!

THAT WOULD NEVER WORK IN THE STR33T!!!!! THE GUYZ FRENDZ WOULD RUN UP AND STAMP HIM !!!!! HE WOULDNT HAV ANY FRENDZ OF HIZ 0WN!!!!! WAT IF THEY WERE FIGHTIN IN 10 FEET OF SNOW !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    lol

If the guy in the pic had a knife why doesn't he just stab him? lol. [:P]

I think people have the impression that JJJ is "obsolete" because it seems 90% of the schools don't do any full contact sparring and when and if they do they use the exact same moves as they use in Judo (understandably so), with some full contact karate etc thrown in maybe. Also there is like 1000 variants of it, which is quite confusing. I think the general impression with MMAists and Grapplers of Japanese jiu jitsu is "weak-ass karate with fake-ass grappling".

Kodokan Judo and Kodokan Jujitsu
    That's believable.

But it's possible (likely?) that Kodokan judo was still called kodokan jujutsu when Maeda left on his barnstorming tour.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PPLE TAKE NOTE!!!!

Yes Kodokan Judo was also called Kano ryu Jujutsu BUT it was firmly extablished as JUDO when Maeda was barnstorming. The reason Maeda later called his art JJ stems from to possible reasons 1) sources say Maeda was EXPELLED from the Kodokan for three years. Given how the Japanese feel about MA, loyalty, giri, etc he wouldn't want to be seen teaching an art of a org he was expelled from. 2) Maeda altered the normal Judo cirriculum and even though JUDO was the base he didn't have the authority to change it hence distancing himself. Others have done this as well.
    Yes I agree that sounds totally believable and quite interesting.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Posted On:
    10/30/2003 8:21am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That fact of the matter is:
    Any thechnique you can think of, I will show you an example of that technique in a martial art that is over 100 years old.
    Any "real" technique.
    As for peoples impressions of TJJ, that is what we are here for, to educate the masses :)

Posted On:
    10/30/2003 8:23am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Points for ANYONE who came name the guy that Kano used to show the superiority of JUDO over jujutsu.
    Extar points if you can name the style HE actually practised ( hint, it wasn't JUDO).

Posted On:
    10/30/2003 8:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    4) EGGS are not as bad for you as pple first thought.
    Not necessarily true. Eggs contain an abundant amount of cholesterol, although there seems to be insufficient evidence that cholesteral does the heart/rest of the body a lot of harm that amount of anything might not be "good" for you, although the human body can be quite "good" at getting rid of waste, so those products aren't necessarily "bad" for you either. [:P]

If the research you've seen is recent I'm thinking it may be based on the fact that there is little evidence for cholesteral being "bad" for you.

That's the problem with "motherfuckers and eggs" [:P]
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast