Posted On:
    10/29/2003 8:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Traditional Jujutsu

Traditional jujutsu

I have a hard time understanding when Japanese Jujutsu began to be regarded as “obsolete” or “out of date”.
    There are 3 types of jujutsu:
    1) the systems taught within a bujutsu school such as the Shinto ryu, Shinkage Ryu, etc.
    2) The jujutsu that is older than the Meiji Restoration in Japan (19th Century)
    3) The jujutsu created after the Meiji Restoration and based more on sport or philosophical concepts, rather than combat.
    Some of the oldest schools of martial arts in Japan taught, and still teach jujutsu ( or taijutsu or Yawara, as it was sometimes called. Kumi Uchi is another name for hand-to-hand combat, but that refers to grappling in armour), school such as the Tenshen Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu, the many branches of the Shinkage ryu, the Kage ryu, the Nem ryu, the list goes on.
    Most of us are familiar with the popular Kito ryu and the know, but really unkown, Tenshin Shinyo ryu, forms of jujutsu that were used by Kano to create Judo ( he borrowed the throws from the Kito ryu and the strikes , chokes and locks from the Shinyo ryu). Some are even familiar with the Yoshin ryu and the Danzan Ryu ( a more modern school).
    But few even know the existence, outside of Japan, of even older schools such as the Takenouchi Ryu. These older schools are some of the most complete styles of combat you will ever find.
    A complete curriculum of striking, grappling, edged weapons, blunt weapons,etc.
    Many of these styles had added firearms to their systems, keeping with the tradition of combat effectiveness that jujutsu is know for.
    The newer styles maybe be more “sports” oriented, but the techniques are still there, they just need to be studied with combat in mind.
    Judo, the first martial sport, has some very effective techniques, IF you know who to apply them the rights way for combat.
    In short, Traditional Japanese Jujutsu deserves our respect for its effectiveness, for being the original style of all those other systems that are just a re-invention of TJJJ.

Check out the pic below for the (outdated jujutsu) :)

Posted On:
    10/29/2003 8:56am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A sample of the Takenouchi ryu jujutsu, created 1500's:

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/29/2003 9:05am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Serge Mol's book, CLASSIC FIGHTING ARTS OF JAPAN a guide to Koryu Jujutsu. Is a good start for pple trying to understand Japanese JJ. The majority of pple, especially the BJJ crowd:P, don't really know what JJJ is and should STFU until I tell them for I am their Lord.......er I mean should read the book.:D
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    10/29/2003 9:11am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Donn Dreager's books are, in my opinion, the best on the subject of real japanese matial arts,his series:
    Classical Bujutsu
    Classical Budo
    Modern Budo and Bujutsu
    Are the bible of Japanese Martial arts.

World Kobudo ??? I nevee herd of them, isn't kobudo the weapons arts of Okinawa? the Tonfa, nunchaku, sai, bo ?
    So what would KUBUDO be??
    What styles are involved?

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/29/2003 9:38am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dreager is a great resource. I mentioned Mol's book because it gives a good overveiw of different ryuha.

KOBUDO means 'Old/Ancient War Way' it really covers any Koryu art not just the Ryukyu weapons set. KOBUJUTSU is a term that is also used and is the same as above.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    10/29/2003 9:45am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah,I have Mol's too.
    There are some nice books out there and even vids and dvd's:
    www.budovideo.com

Posted On:
    10/29/2003 10:55am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Join? to what point? to achevie what?

Titan

Posted On:
    10/29/2003 11:16am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OMG!!! LOOK AT THAT PICTURE !!!!!!

THAT WOULD NEVER WORK IN THE STR33T!!!!! THE GUYZ FRENDZ WOULD RUN UP AND STAMP HIM !!!!! HE WOULDNT HAV ANY FRENDZ OF HIZ 0WN!!!!! WAT IF THEY WERE FIGHTIN IN 10 FEET OF SNOW !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Posted On:
    10/29/2003 11:18am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As soon as I find a pic of a guy fighting 10 people in the snow, with broken glass, and a 2 x 4 with a nail in it, with knives, guns, baseball bat and a wet cat, I will post it ASAP !!

Posted On:
    10/29/2003 11:32am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never bothered with orgainizations myself.
    Never saw a reason to, like you.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast