Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    3/08/2008 10:37am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake LaMancha
    Hell yeah even ufc/mma are sports not street brawls. because I have never seen a fish hook or a bite happen once in mma,I've only been bitten once in afight and it hurt like 3 kinds of hell.Also there are no eye gouges in mma.
    I guess my point is the street vs sport debate is ludicrous because in a street fight it's the meanest and toughest guy who wins despite training and conditioning.:copdance::qright2:ps. by the by yes I did lose that fight

Stop it. Just stop. This is only going to lead to trouble.

Here, I will save you the embarassment.

MMA is touted for its TRAINING METHODOLOGY. That is to say, it uses heavy contact pressure tested sparring techniques to ensure that what they are doing will work.
    MMA will prepare you for SD much better than 99.99% of TKD schools out there.

Ive seen a bite in boxing occur and it didnt debilitate the bitee one bit. As a matter of fact he went after his assailant out for revenge. (Tyson/Holyfield)
    So the biting thing is bogus. Yeah it hurts but so does a body slam.

**** it...can we move this to YMAS? Please read more and dont post this nonsense again.
    People are well aware of the differences in the two. They are also aware that you training to "tag" your opponent first is a dangerous way to defend yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2008 1:44pm

Style: TKD/karate/jkd noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    Stop it. Just stop. This is only going to lead to trouble.

Here, I will save you the embarassment.

MMA is touted for its TRAINING METHODOLOGY. That is to say, it uses heavy contact pressure tested sparring techniques to ensure that what they are doing will work.
    MMA will prepare you for SD much better than 99.99% of TKD schools out there.

Ive seen a bite in boxing occur and it didnt debilitate the bitee one bit. As a matter of fact he went after his assailant out for revenge. (Tyson/Holyfield)
    So the biting thing is bogus. Yeah it hurts but so does a body slam.

**** it...can we move this to YMAS? Please read more and dont post this nonsense again.
    People are well aware of the differences in the two. They are also aware that you training to "tag" your opponent first is a dangerous way to defend yourself.
    point well taken yes holyfield is the man and my point may have been misconstrued MMA does have good training for street defense,I was not trying to belittle that fact I was just trying to show no matter what style you train in it is the fighter that wins not thier style.
    Also I agree that training someone to "play tag"is a bad form of self defense.In my school we have an advanced class that we mix other styles and hard contact with protective gear.Our higher belts love it they like the evening of the playing field by allowing dirty tricks and groin strikes and ground work.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    3/08/2008 4:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    point well taken yes holyfield is the man and my point may have been misconstrued MMA does have good training for street defense,I was not trying to belittle that fact I was just trying to show no matter what style you train in it is the fighter that wins not thier style.
    Training wins too.

Also I agree that training someone to "play tag"is a bad form of self defense.In my school we have an advanced class that we mix other styles and hard contact with protective gear.Our higher belts love it they like the evening of the playing field by allowing dirty tricks and groin strikes and ground work.

Review your school then so others who are looking for this type of TKD know where it is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2008 8:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good enough,as soon as I figger out how to post a review I will get it done.
    but to be honest it is in the sticks of nebraska.and the sobum has a day job but all of the class is good quality,unfortunately the classes are only twice a week but I digress I will save it for the review.

Posted On:
    3/09/2008 9:18am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take TKD to learn how to defend myself and fight. And Yes TKD offers both of those.

I have been in and seen multiple fights throughout high school and college. I would say nearly all of them ended in 1-2 punches. One person getting knocked out, or it getting broken up. The ones that ended up on the ground, either ended with both guys were wrestling and giving up tired (no one injured) or it got broken up or friends jumped in. I would say 90% ended standing up if not more. I mean fights that happen in a bar dont have a chance to go on the ground in most cases. Fights that I saw on the street would usually just get broken up if they went to the ground. In most cases, whoever landed that first punch won the fight. This stat that everyone says most fights go to the ground is made up. Please dont just say its true, show me the actual study. My father was a navy seal and he agrees with my conclusion based on this training. He said they learned CQC and most was quick deadly strikes, with some holds and locks, which usually involved weapons. Granted his experience was 20+ years ago or something like that.

I have also seen fights where some got jumped kicked or kicked in the head before the first punch was thrown. These fights ended with those kicks. The other person was scared to see what was coming next.

Therefore, TKD will prepare you for these types of fights, which are really most fights.

Are other arts useful - of course. They all are useful. Having any fighting skills will help you in a fight. No art is better than others, they all have their advantages/disadvantages. MMA is probably the best though, in order to be more balanced of a fighter you need all the skills. I think people forget the UFC is a sport, not a real fight. Do any of you think a street fight would go as long as gracies original fights? They last 30 seconds at most before others jump in. Real fights involve multiple people, knives, and sometime guns and I have seen them all. One on one fights are the rarity. usually its 1 on 2, or 2 on 3 or something to that effect. I can also say I have only been in about 8 real fights myself, but I have seen many, many street and bar fights. They alway ended standing and when they went to the ground, friends always got involved. Now am I putting down other arts, NO. I think all MA are good and effective. I just dont think the people who are so quick to put down TKD have ever been in fights.

I mean, TKD teaches you how to block punches and kicks. How to deliver effective punches and kicks. A few locks and throws/take downs as you move up the latter in belts. Basically some good self defense tactics. Have you ever seen someone in TKD in a real fight against the average joe? I have, and their moves were so effective, that i was convinced to join.

just my .02
    Last edited by rspa; 3/09/2008 9:21am at .

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    3/09/2008 11:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good enough,as soon as I figger out how to post a review I will get it done.
    but to be honest it is in the sticks of nebraska.and the sobum has a day job but all of the class is good quality,unfortunately the classes are only twice a week but I digress I will save it for the review.
    Isnt ALL of Nebraska in the sticks?

Posted On:
    4/15/2008 10:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, let's make something perfectly clear, okay; I am a NOOB. A noobie-ass-NOOB. I know precisely
    DICK. Jack-**** NUTHIN. Okay? When I say "NOOB," I mean little six-year-old Megan down at the local ATA could easily be responsible for my obituary being printed in tomorrow's paper. Alright? Get the picture?

Now, why do I train TKD? Well, I don't actually "train" yet, as we just signed-up last week and won't begin until this Friday night. See? Told you I was a NOOB. In fact, I'm probably an insult to Noobs for referring to myself as a noob. In fact, if there is a ranking below "noob," then I humbly accept this ranking; like "noobling" or some such **** as that. In fact, I offer my humble obeisances to all "true noobs," whose knowledge and skills are infinately superior to mine. . .

Okay, so I chose the school I chose because I had to choose between a bunch of Karate and ATA TKD schools full of minivan cheuffered "activity kids," and a TKD school owned and operated by a Korean, 50 YO, 8th dan BB Grandmaster. As I said earlier, I don't know ****. I just made the best decision I could make with my limited fund of knowledge.

Here's the link to my school's website:http://www.hongsusataekwondo.com/

I have no idea what to expect or how things are going to go. I just hope I made the right choice. Only time will tell, I suppose. . .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2008 11:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do not try to judge a dojang strictly from it's web site but it looks like you are going to an athlete's dojang.I would gather he is training competitors,and training for competitions.I would try to cross train as much as possible and definitely get some extra sparring in with the other students as well.You will definitely get in better shape if you stick with it for damn sure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 10:28am

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I DON'T TAKE TKD ANYMORE! IT'S MOTHERFUCKING MMA TIME. LOOK AT THAT STYLE FIELD! IT'S SOOOOO MUCH MORE SATISFYING NOW. IT'S GONE IT'S GONE IT'S GONE IT'S GONE!

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA:laughing6:laughin g6:laughing6:laughing6

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2008 10:37am

Style: BJJ, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril
    I DON'T TAKE TKD ANYMORE! IT'S MOTHERFUCKING MMA TIME. LOOK AT THAT STYLE FIELD! IT'S SOOOOO MUCH MORE SATISFYING NOW. IT'S GONE IT'S GONE IT'S GONE IT'S GONE!

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA:laughing6:laughin g6:laughing6:laughing6
    Lucky you:qleft3:

I've just found out about a MMA club 30 minutes from my home, but I still have the frikkin TKD contract........I e-mailed the guys who were in charge of the contracts in my organization and asked when my contract expired, guy didn't answer....... He answered on a lot of irrelevant crap, but not my main question...... So I might not be able to do MMA because of the TKD contract........... I hate you out of envy