233606 Bullies, 3897 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 111 to 120 of 342
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. torbjork is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    17

    Posted On:
    12/27/2007 5:08am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But Karate usually goes to TKD tourneys and TKD usually attend Karate Tourneys.
    Do they? That's new to me, I've certainly never heard of that happening here (in Norway). Probably mostly due to practicalities like getting multiple licenses, clashing dates and so on, but also because of the different rule sets.

    Most of the tournaments here aren't "open" anyway, with the exception of a few full-contact karate matches (kyokushinkai rules I believe) held regionally once or twice a year and (I think) one national WTF taekwondo event per year. Not sure how many contestants cross-compete in these "open" (really that means it's open to all styles of either karate or taekwondo, not to anyone who wants to fight) tournaments, as the level of the entrants is pretty high (it being national/regional) and you can get screwed pretty badly if you arent very familiar with the rules. Among other things, you have to be equally fluent in japanese and korean match commands, know what body parts you can hit with what and so on. If you train heavily for WTF tournaments, chances are you won't do as well in kyokushinkai tournaments and vice versa.

    I'd like to see a more unified approach to tournament rules, but everyone has their own agenda and there are lots of important people who'd rather keep things "pure".
  2. HonkyTonkMan is offline
    HonkyTonkMan's Avatar

    Y SO SRIUS?

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Black Belt City, Mississippi
    Posts
    5,434

    Posted On:
    12/27/2007 10:19am

    Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by torbjork
    Do they? That's new to me, I've certainly never heard of that happening here (in Norway). Probably mostly due to practicalities like getting multiple licenses, clashing dates and so on, but also because of the different rule sets.
    We arent talking about some piddly ass country like Norway.

    Most of the tournaments here aren't "open" anyway, with the exception of a few full-contact karate matches (kyokushinkai rules I believe) held regionally once or twice a year and (I think) one national WTF taekwondo event per year. Not sure how many contestants cross-compete in these "open" (really that means it's open to all styles of either karate or taekwondo, not to anyone who wants to fight) tournaments, as the level of the entrants is pretty high (it being national/regional) and you can get screwed pretty badly if you arent very familiar with the rules. Among other things, you have to be equally fluent in japanese and korean match commands, know what body parts you can hit with what and so on. If you train heavily for WTF tournaments, chances are you won't do as well in kyokushinkai tournaments and vice versa.

    I'd like to see a more unified approach to tournament rules, but everyone has their own agenda and there are lots of important people who'd rather keep things "pure".

    What the **** are you talking about?
  3. BogsieMugsie is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    63

    Posted On:
    12/27/2007 8:39pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=oldman34]"

    1. Please list links to the articles. The ones that say "WTF TKD excercises are scientifically designed.
    http://www.thesportjournal.org/sport-supplement/vol14no1/lin.asp

    That link was from the United States Sports Academy. This is to show that several scientific researches are being made to improve TKD training as a sport. Since you teach TKD, and hence are probably earning a living from it, search the others yourself. It appears that you're a lazy TKD instructor--at least from the intellectual aspects that are needed to teach your students well.


    2. Please list the schools that you compared prices to. I would like to see the financial difference in training one versus the other. Also please list contact info for said schools... Please list the schools and Orgs in your area and contact info, otherwise you are just pulling facts from your anus.
    I made a comment based on the quality of my experience when I was shopping around for a martial arts school for my kids at a specific period in time. Since you are requesting me a task to shop around again and do research, I will be needing more time for this. First off, I don't make my living from the martial arts like you. For starters, early 2007, I found a Muay Thai gym that charges less than 1/8 the price of the TKD gym my kids go to. As expected, most of the practitioners there are street thugs out to pick a fight at the slightest cue that they interpret as aggression. I would not like to cross train my kids in such a gym. My goal is investment protection and maximization when I send my kids to college, not let them fight in the UFC to be someone like Royce Gracie or Chuck Lidell. Sure, we enjoy watching the UFC but the purpose is for recreation and entertainment. I will never become, nor my kids, a Gracie or a Lidell, but I will surely gain from MA training the benefits that I've mentioned.

    3. I teach TKD, and trust me, there is no difference in the parents that have their kids in TKD versus the ones who take BJJ. Stop being an elitist snob.
    Well, that's the quality of your experience and I believe you based on the personality that I've discerned from your writings. But based on the quality of my experience at specific martial arts gyms charging specific rates, I will stand by my comment that you were referring to.

    4. If you live on an island that only has one school in a particular art then yeah, maybe. But Karate usually goes to TKD tourneys and TKD usually attend Karate Tourneys.
    Nice opinion.


    5. I will keep this simple...
    Ever heard of the statement that 'China's population is it's greatest advantage as well as its greatest disadvantage'? In it's full context, the comments you were referring to admits the benefits as well as the limitations of TKD and hence as a parent who loves the martial arts (any and all styles for that matter), I make an extra-effort for my kids to address the limitations and emphasize the benefits of TKD.

    6. Informally? Does that mean you watched a video or read a book?
    I think I said training not learning. For martial arts learning, yes. For training, I did it with friends who were trained in different MA styles, I did it alone with equipments, with my kids, etc.

    7. ...I'm not impressed...
    I was not impressing you. I simply answered your question.

    8. Actually no. There are a lot of cocky BJJers out there. There are a lot of cocky TKD guys out there too. If I had to pick one to back me in a fight....Id take the BJJ guy.
    Nice opinion about the BJJ guy backing you up.
  4. BogsieMugsie is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    63

    Posted On:
    12/27/2007 8:52pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you just imply TKD is better training than MT, KB, Arnis, Boxing.....and....well....**** aikido... ..and that smart people choose TKD for their kids?...
    The clause you referred to says "afford better training" and I was not implying any more than that.
  5. torbjork is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    17

    Posted On:
    12/28/2007 3:25am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    We arent talking about some piddly ass country like Norway.
    What the **** are you talking about?
    How old are you, 5? I was relating the discussion to facts that are known to me, rather than pretending (like some other people) I know everything about everything.

    Anyway, shut up and buy my oil, bitch.
  6. BogsieMugsie is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    63

    Posted On:
    12/28/2007 5:05am

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Scrooged Me
    Pfft, actually I was following you, not disagreeing per se, up to #3 section 3. Your IQ test is probably wrong.

    On that note, what is with this plethora of over genius IQ people popping on the web?
    +11,800 posts? You must be a surf fanatic by the beach of San Juan, La Union passing his retirement time sipping a beer and fucking lots of women every night. I envy you. LOL!
  7. HonkyTonkMan is offline
    HonkyTonkMan's Avatar

    Y SO SRIUS?

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Black Belt City, Mississippi
    Posts
    5,434

    Posted On:
    12/28/2007 9:28am

    Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BogsieMugsie


    http://www.thesportjournal.org/sport-supplement/vol14no1/lin.asp

    That link was from the United States Sports Academy. This is to show that several scientific researches are being made to improve TKD training as a sport. Since you teach TKD, and hence are probably earning a living from it, search the others yourself. It appears that you're a lazy TKD instructor--at least from the intellectual aspects that are needed to teach your students well.
    Being made? You said that WTF TKD training methods are scientific. I didnt see anywhere that said that. You fail.
    As far as the insults go...LOL @ U. You made a statement as part of your argument. I asked for proof. It isnt up to me to search for proof for your "facts"

    I made a comment based on the quality of my experience when I was shopping around for a martial arts school for my kids at a specific period in time. Since you are requesting me a task to shop around again and do research, I will be needing more time for this.
    You made a comment that wasnt supported by VERIFIABLE FACTS. In other words, you are talking out of your ass. Here at Bullshido we like to see PROOF of claims made by posters. You made a broad, sweeping statement about TKD practioners without any PROOF.

    First off, I don't make my living from the martial arts like you.
    Ummmm....I dont make a living off of Martial Arts. I teach in exchange for free TKD lessons. I teach six classes a week (3 classes, 2 days a week). You should stop making assumptive insults. They only make you look like a bigger tool than you already are.

    For starters, early 2007, I found a Muay Thai gym that charges less than 1/8 the price of the TKD gym my kids go to. As expected, most of the practitioners there are street thugs out to pick a fight at the slightest cue that they interpret as aggression.
    Price of teaching does NOT mean quality of teaching. I guess you are the kind of guy that buys a Lexus when he can just get a Toyota. Same thing, same manufacturer, just cost more, so it must be better right?
    Please list the Gym. Also how did you come to the conclusion that they were street thugs? Have they ever confronted you? Have you ever seen them attack someone unprovoked, or is this some more strawman bullshit?

    I would not like to cross train my kids in such a gym. My goal is investment protection and maximization when I send my kids to college, not let them fight in the UFC to be someone like Royce Gracie or Chuck Lidell.
    Yeah, God forbid they earn millions of dollars and be Icons for a Sport, much less be World Reknowned. Who would EVER want that for their kids.
    Oh and BTW...Chuck has a background in a TMA. So there goes you "street thug" argument. Not to mention, Please tell me where Royce or Chuck have been arrested much less CHARGED with an unprovoked assault on anyone.

    Sure, we enjoy watching the UFC but the purpose is for recreation and entertainment. I will never become, nor my kids, a Gracie or a Lidell, but I will surely gain from MA training the benefits that I've mentioned.
    Yeah, you wont become Royce or Chuck because you do TKD.
    You mean the benefits like "Make my kids smarter?" So you think Dana White and the Fertita brothers are morons? Damn , I hope my kidds grow up to me moronic millionaires.

    Well, that's the quality of your experience and I believe you based on the personality that I've discerned from your writings. But based on the quality of my experience at specific martial arts gyms charging specific rates, I will stand by my comment that you were referring to.
    My personality? Oh noooooesss 11 !! eleven eleven!!!1!!.

    Here is my personality. I am an asshole who doesnt tolerate dumbassery very well. I have never made any claims that I am not an asshole, and many people on this site will tell you the same.
    What they will NOT question is my belief that MA's arent for socializing, learning to be a better person, and all the other hippy crap you hear.
    MA's are learning SD.
    Of course, I teach mostly the kids classes and many Parents LOVE me to teach their kids. I can tolerate stupid **** from kids, because well, they are kids.


    Nice opinion.
    Not an opinion. FACT.



    Ever heard of the statement that 'China's population is it's greatest advantage as well as its greatest disadvantage'? In it's full context, the comments you were referring to admits the benefits as well as the limitations of TKD and hence as a parent who loves the martial arts (any and all styles for that matter), I make an extra-effort for my kids to address the limitations and emphasize the benefits of TKD.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...Oops sorry, I fell asleep. What was your strawman saying?


    I think I said training not learning. For martial arts learning, yes. For training, I did it with friends who were trained in different MA styles, I did it alone with equipments, with my kids, etc.
    So you train but you dont learn? What? Sparring with a MY guy doesnt mean you have trained in MT. Sorry, doesnt work that way.
    I roll with my kids two times a week. Does that mean I am "training" in BJJ? Nope. It means I am rolling with my kids.


    I was not impressing you.
    You can say that again.

    Nice opinion about the BJJ guy backing you up.
    It isnt an opinion. Its a FACT. An opinion is something like "only smart kids take TKD".
    A FACT is..."If I had to choose who to back me up in a fight I would choose a BJJ guy" Its a fact because I WOULD.
    Last edited by HonkyTonkMan; 12/28/2007 9:31am at .
  8. HonkyTonkMan is offline
    HonkyTonkMan's Avatar

    Y SO SRIUS?

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Black Belt City, Mississippi
    Posts
    5,434

    Posted On:
    12/28/2007 9:35am

    Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by torbjork
    How old are you, 5?
    7 1/2 why?

    I was relating the discussion to facts that are known to me,
    Yeah cause Norway has such a HUGE population to use as a cross section fo MA practioners.

    rather than pretending (like some other people) I know everything about everything.
    Lets leave Omega out of this OK? Of course, I dont pretend. I actually DO know everything. Dont hate the player, hate the game.


    Anyway, shut up and buy my oil, bitch.
    What? More stupid ass comments from a fisherman. Thanks for playing.
  9. retrograde is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    268

    Posted On:
    12/28/2007 11:49am


     Style: Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, I don't see the need for discarding someone's comments just because they're not from the US. It makes you look ignorant. In fact, Scandinavia typically boasts a very strong WTF taekwondo standard.

    In Australia, it is also rare to find cross over between taekwondo and karate. In WTF taekwondo here, you can't compete unless you're part of the national organisatio, and I don't believe you can be part of that unless your instructor holds a Kukkiwon certificate. Some kyokoshin tournaments are open entry, but I'm unaware of any taekwondo competitors entering. More often, it will be other karate styles who take advantage. Very few tkd clubs/pracitioners here are insterested in competing outside of WTF competition.

    Personally, as long as a competitor competes within the rules and has insurance of some sort, I can't see a problem between different styles being accepted into competition. But it's very rare here.
  10. MaverickZ is offline

    Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,928

    Posted On:
    12/28/2007 11:56am

    supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    Price of teaching does NOT mean quality of teaching. I guess you are the kind of guy that buys a Lexus when he can just get a Toyota. Same thing, same manufacturer, just cost more, so it must be better right?
    You've never driven a Lexus have you?
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.