Administrator

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 1:57pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BogsieMugsie
    oldman34. I can see you have already dissected my comment point by point.

1. What's scientific about it? : The exercises are backed up by scientific researches in a few sports medicine journals that I've read. The British Sports Medicine Journal would be one.

2. That waters down the art. : It's your opinion and I respect it. But from my point of view, the armors provide greater opportunities for fighting with minimal injuries. This is no different from amateur boxing or Buakaw training with his pad man. My kids and I do impact training though with heavy bags, banana trunks, coco lumber and actual physical blows.

3. I can get cardio from a treadmill. : Well, that's your preference. I prefer a variety of exercises since variety has some benefits according to some sports medicine studies.

4. Why are parents... : Well, in my country, learning TKD is quite expensive compared to learning Karate, Aikido, Boxing, Kickboxing, Arnis, or Muay Thai. Hence, most parents who can afford TKD have higher educational attainments. Most likely, these same parents can send their kids to the better schools, afford better training, or have better business connections than the poorer parents.

5. Name a style that doesn't have ample competitions. : In my country, we have major TKD competitions at least once a month, not counting regional or interdojang competitions. All other styles usually compete once a year or none at all in case of Aikido.

6. All the drawbacks... : I respect your opinion if you think that the drawbacks contradict the benefits I've mentioned. But honestly, I think the benefits I've mentioned do not contradict the drawbacks I've listed.

7. LOL all you want. It's free.

8. Styles studied, formally: Shotokan, WTF TKD, TRACMA, Yawyan. Informally: Judo, Aikido, Taipean Kung Fu, Tai Chi, Kyokushinkai, Muay Thai, Boxing, Small Circle Jujitsu and American Kickboxing. MA Weapons: Nunchaku, Yawara Stick, Arnis, Knives.

9. Troll? The one with the nunchaku? Well... maybe. Moron? Least likely. The last IQ exam I took gave me a score of 146.

Ok, let me guess. You're pissed off with my #4) comment about cocky BJJers. Well, that comment wasn't meant for you. It's for COCKY ones, not PUSSIES.
    Pfft, actually I was following you, not disagreeing per se, up to #3 section 3. Your IQ test is probably wrong.

On that note, what is with this plethora of over genius IQ people popping on the web?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 2:20pm

Style: Tae Kwon Did

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

4. Why are parents... : Well, in my country,

5. In my country, we have major TKD competitions at least once a month,
    Ahh, it must be the same country that he's singing about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yViYDULqno

:)

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 2:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    4. Why are parents... : Well, in my country, learning TKD is quite expensive compared to learning Karate, Aikido, Boxing, Kickboxing, Arnis, or Muay Thai. Hence, most parents who can afford TKD have higher educational attainments. Most likely, these same parents can send their kids to the better schools, afford better training, or have better business connections than the poorer parents.
    Did you just imply TKD is better training than MT, KB, Arnis, Boxing.....and....well....**** aikido...
    ..and that smart people choose TKD for their kids?...

Perhaps the well to do parents have soft children...who don't want to get punched in the face...so they go to a "tag you're dead" style. From my experience, people with lots of money, shelter their kids...(and get fleeced by McDojos in the process).

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 2:30pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja
    Did you just imply TKD is better training than MT, KB, Arnis, Boxing.....and....well....**** aikido...
    ..and that smart people choose TKD for their kids?...

Perhaps the well to do parents have soft children...who don't want to get punched in the face...so they go to a "tag you're dead" style. From my experience, people with lots of money, shelter their kids...(and get fleeced by McDojos in the process).
    It's the mentality you get what you paid for. Which is absolutely hillarious. We had one parent in town come into my gym, see the facility and heard "nothing but great things" the way we teach. She told me she went to x and x school and I looked at her and said "wow, could you explain something to me? How can you pay the most money in town to train in a closet."

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh Please!better training in a McDojang compared to Kyokushin or boxing.Give me a break.

The styles listed above tend to compete in one set of full-contact rules of one sort or another.Execpt for Aikido usually.Competitors tend to get harmed and maimed.These said competitors give themselves long recovery time to get back into fighting shape and get back into the ring.

Also these said styles tend to not attract pussies.Invariably it means smaller schools and smaller turnouts for competitions.

Now TKD.....Well they have point-sparring don't they.

Now why you feel that paying more money for training = good training is beyond me.

5. Name a style that doesn't have ample competitions. : In my country, we have major TKD competitions at least once a month, not counting regional or interdojang competitions. All other styles usually compete once a year or none at all in case of Aikido.
    You'll have to explain to us dumb folks how is it that there's so few kickboxing competions while there's ample TKD ones.

I know the answer but I have a feeling you don't.
    Last edited by CanucKyokushin; 12/25/2007 2:50pm at .

:)

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sometimes I think there's some inverse principle in effect for schools. Cheap, down to earth abuse is easy to find in the city....I suspect people shop around...and pay what they have to, to find a school that causes them discomfort, to a degree they feel they can handle.

Katas, belt tests, all that stuff, costs...and it's in place of fighting/sparring/bagwork....My teachers took pity on Me an T, and let us train for less than half of the membership price...combined! They know what's important, and knew we didn't have the money...the fact that it's one of the best, toughest schools in NE...made it all the sweeter.

Money is no indicator whatsoever, of quality. I wish Boston had a gym on the scale of your facility, Omega....you have teh r33l gym spac3.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 5:32pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CanucKyokushin
    Now TKD.....Well they have point-sparring don't they.
    You do realize that olympic tkd is full contact, right? RIGHT? You weren't just posting the usual talking points that ignorant people post, were you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 7:48pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience, even though taekwondo schools do tend to be more expensive (although certainly not always), and taekwondo does sometimes attract families with money, it doesn't necessarily attract more cultured families.

Taekwondo - at least in my country - often attracts what we call 'cashed-up bogans'. Rednecks with money, I guess, for the Americans. Chavs with money, for the Brits.

Because so many clubs sell branded hats, jackets, tshirts, etc. this seems to attract the kind of people who love buying up big and are reassured by the commercial and materialistic element of the art. I see them at the competitions buying up more $200 adidas uniforms for 5-year-old Johnny, training shoes, bags, mits, etc. They're usually the same people who sit in the crowd screaming and swearing and being obnoxious.

Naturally enough, these parents have spoioled, obnoxious kids.

These people exist in every martial art, but in my experience, are way WAY more prevalent in WTF tkd, and the nature of the sport encouarges them.

(they're also pretty common in XMA for similar reasons - lots of trophies, uniforms, etc)

I think many of your points are fair enough reasons to enroll your kids in a tkd school (and I loved sparring comps as a kid), but I wouldn't be sticking them in tkd for the quality of the other people training.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 6:27am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oldman34. I can see you have already dissected my comment point by point.

1. What's scientific about it? : The exercises are backed up by scientific researches in a few sports medicine journals that I've read. The British Sports Medicine Journal would be one.
    Please list links to the articles. The ones that say "WTF TKD excercises are scientifically designed"

2. That waters down the art. : It's your opinion and I respect it. But from my point of view, the armors provide greater opportunities for fighting with minimal injuries. This is no different from amateur boxing or Buakaw training with his pad man. My kids and I do impact training though with heavy bags, banana trunks, coco lumber and actual physical blows.
    Ummmmm...What? You are full of ****.

3. I can get cardio from a treadmill. : Well, that's your preference. I prefer a variety of exercises since variety has some benefits according to some sports medicine studies.
    Variety of excercises? You said cardio. Cardio can come from walking or jogging on a treadmill. The Cardio you get from TKD is sparring and warm up excercises. Thats TWO ways. Walking, jogging, thats TWO ways. We are still tied.

Please list the schools that you compared prices to. I would like to see the financial difference in training one versus the other. Also please list contact info for said schools.
    What country are you in?
    I teach TKD, and trust me, there is no difference in the parents that have their kids in TKD versus the ones who take BJJ.
    Stop being an elitist snob.

If you live on an island that only has one school in a particular art then yeah, maybe. But Karate usually goes to TKD tourneys and TKD usually attend Karate Tourneys.
    Please list the schools and Orgs in your area and contact info, otherwise you are just pulling facts from your anus.

6. All the drawbacks... : I respect your opinion if you think that the drawbacks contradict the benefits I've mentioned. But honestly, I think the benefits I've mentioned do not contradict the drawbacks I've listed.
    I will keep this simple.

Example #1:

2. Relatively safe sparring with armors and other safety gear.
    1. Poor impact training due to safety gear and training focus. Pure WTF TKD practitioners are usually poor at giving and receiving pain without the armors.
    Hope that cleared the contradiction thing up for you.

7. LOL all you want. It's free.
    Ummmm....again...what?

8. Styles studied, formally: Shotokan, WTF TKD, TRACMA, Yawyan. Informally: Judo, Aikido, Taipean Kung Fu, Tai Chi, Kyokushinkai, Muay Thai, Boxing, Small Circle Jujitsu and American Kickboxing. MA Weapons: Nunchaku, Yawara Stick, Arnis, Knives.
    Informally? Does that mean you watched a video or read a book?

9. Troll? The one with the nunchaku? Well... maybe. Moron? Least likely. The last IQ exam I took gave me a score of 146.
    My daughter has an IQ of 143. She's 8. So forgive me if Im not impressed.

Ok, let me guess. You're pissed off with my #4) comment about cocky BJJers. Well, that comment wasn't meant for you. It's for COCKY ones, not PUSSIES.
    Actually no. There are a lot of cocky BJJers out there. There are a lot of cocky TKD guys out there too. If I had to pick one to back me in a fight....Id take the BJJ guy.

Are you calling me a *****? hahahahahahaha. Whatever. Just talk from some internet TKD toughie. You are going to have to do better than that to get me riled up.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 6:32am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Scrooged Me

On that note, what is with this plethora of over genius IQ people popping on the web?

I didnt pop up, Ive been here a long time.
Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast