Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 5:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why do you take TKD?

I was just wondering for the people here who practice TKD, why do you take it? The reason I ask is because...well, people ask me all the time. I always say that TKD is THE martial art that will make you the toughest. After all the bashing you will get from other m.a.ist you have no choice but to grow a thick skin. It's not effective, are you crazy? why bother kicking that high, its for kids, its just karate but not as good, you guys don't know how to punch. Just some of the things I hear all the time. Don't get me wrong, i'm not ashamed of my art and I love it. I don't disagree with some of the statements I hear either. I just love tkd and it happen to be effective for me in a few situations. Might of been luck, don't know. So I always tell people the same thing. Its the art that fits me the best. I'm very comfortable kicking. I've taken it on and off since was 7. I love the martial arts side of it and I love the sports side of it. I enjoy forms and putting on the pads to try and knock my opponents head off...or run around my opponent because I'm about to get my head knocked off. Either way its the art I enjoy the most after trying a few others. Southern Praying Mantis, bjj(which is awesome by the way), judo(which I love almost as much as tkd) and krav maga. So just curious, why do you take tkd even when the bashing and critism seems neverending?

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 6:21am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For cardio, to play with kicks and because the club I go to has nice folks.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 1:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my case, the question would be why did you take Taekwon-Do? or why do you still do Taekwon-Do? since I started out in 1974.

When I started into the martial arts, I wanted very specific things:

- Basically to learn, not to fight, but how to effectively defend myself; not to kick a$$ but to ensure that nobody could hurt me.

- Generally to better myself as a person, both physically and mentally as I learned that martial arts could be much more than just sports.

- Technically to learn kicks and jumping techniques wich were to me the most difficult and rewarding to master... and fun too.

At the time I was 16, and only one art seemed to offer all that: Taekwon-Do:

- Over 3200 techniques with more than half of them being defensive techniques (parries, breaking parries, blocks, evasions, footwork, interceptions, deflections etc)

- Complete training for both mind and body (mind: self-control (meditation), memory (patterns), concentration (breaking), resolve (sparring), perseverance (techniques), discipline, culture and education (study of history, anatomy, applied physics, biomecanics, psychology, strategy and tactics etc) body : stamina and strength (jumping techniques), conditioning and precision(breaking), flexibility and balance (kicking techniques), coordination and symetry (patterns), ability and reaction (sparring), health, efficiency and adaptability (practice of principles of power, distance, angles of attack and defense, impact etc)

- An emphasis on kicks and jumps as challenging as it was fun, as useful as it was rewarding in terms of both physical prowess and personal satisfaction.

That was then; the following decades saw me advance through the art while the teaching of Taekwon-Do was slowly but steadily declining in depth and quality. Cross-training with many other arts made this decline all the more evident, to the point that too many of today's black belts know and can do but a small percentage of what I myself can still manage even at almost 50 years old.

So why do I still do it?

Because I still practice (and teach) it as I was fortunate enough to know it: the full martial art of Taekwon-Do, It has proven to me to be everything I hoped for... and more. Because of Taekwon-Do, I am in perfect physical and mental health, still way more agile, resilient and coordinated than most men of my age and fully able to defend myself as years of work as a security agent helped me to test in actual use. I still go by it because I want to share with others those benefits.

I am deeply despirited by the overexploitation and excessive reduction this wonderful martial art has gone through. It's teachings have severely degraded to the point of almost singlehandedly giving birth to the McDojo phenomenon.

I can only mourn it's present state and try, in my modest effort, to keep it's full value alive in my little corner of the world. Hopefully, others will do the same.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 3:12pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What he said ^^^^^^^^^^
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 3:15pm

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mav may be joking... but I walked by my old school one day and saw hot girls all over.... and I trained for almost two years before I could get away!

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 5:12pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    Id hit that.

Even if TKD only allows lite contact. Id hit it litely.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 7:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Van
    Id hit that.

Even if TKD only allows lite contact. Id hit it litely.

Careful,

It might hit back.
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 8:46pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, Im not sure if your a trolling or not, as I am new to the world of Internet bad asses. But this Statement Stands Point Blank:

There are many McDojo's who have monopolized and whored TKD. Yet there are many systems that have not. These are the Traditionalist who keep the art as it was developed to be. There is a kid in this forum named MavZ who recently ended his first MMA fight with one swift kick to the the chops, not BJJ, not MMA but just a clear cut and chambered strike with the foot that is clearly Taegwondo.

If you are the practioner you are trying to state you are, you would clearly understand this.
    But if you like, I would enjoy your company here in Wilminton, NC as my guest in my home and perhaps together over a good meal, conversation and full contact sparring( nicey nicey of course) We can help you with your confusion. My best to you and your family and Happy Holidays.

Sincerly, Sharkonis.
    Last edited by Sharkonis; 12/04/2007 10:28pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 10:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Se-Jong TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perfect timing. In two weeks I'll take my first class. Here's the short list of reasons why:
    1. My 10 year old daughter has been taking TKD for a year a half now. I'm the one who helps her practice and I want to strengthen the bond.
    2. I'm 36 and I want to get in better shape.
    3. The local TKD organization is one of the better MA organizations in my neighborhood. I like the people running it and the other members / parents.
Page 1 of 35 1 234511 ... LastLast