• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/03/2007 9:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tao of JKD: Missing Acknowledgements

I was flicking through my copy of "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do" (Bruce Lee's unfinished book) which Linda Lee and Dan Insonato finished for him, when basically I googled a phrase in the book which I then realized was the work of another author, and had not been acknowledged in the TOJKD.

I had always attributed these quotes directly to Bruce Lee:

A fateful process is set in motion when the individual is released "to the freedom of his own impotence" and left to justify his existence by his own efforts. The autonomous individual, striving to realize himself and prove his worth, has created all that is great in literature, art, music, science and technology. The autonomous individual, also, when he can neither realize himself nor justify his existence by his own efforts, is a breeding call of frustration, and the seed of the convulsions which shake our world to its foundations.

The individual on his own is stable only so long as he is possessed of self-esteem. The maintenance of self-esteem is a continuous task which taxes all of the individual's powers and inner resources. We have to prove our worth and justify our existence anew each day. When, for whatever reason, self-esteem is unattainable, the autonomous individual becomes a highly explosive entity. He turns away from an unpromising self and plunges into the pursuit of pride -- the explosive substitute for self-esteem. All social disturbances and upheavals have their roots in crises of individual self-esteem, and the great endeavor in which the masses most readily unite is basically a search for pride.
    Pride is a sense of worth derived from something that is not organically part of us, while self-esteem derives from the potentialities and achievements of the self. We are proud when we identify ourselves with an imaginary self, a leader, a holy cause, a collective body or possessions. There is fear and intolerance in pride; it is sensitive and uncompromising. The less promise and potency in the self, the more imperative is the need for pride. The core of pride is self-rejection.

It is true that when pride releases energies and serves as a spur to achievement, it can lead to a reconciliation with the self and the attainment of genuine self-esteem.
    There might be more quotes than this, however these were the only two quotes I could find just using some basic searches over the internet.

These quotes are attributed to Eric Hoffer, an American writer on social issues who published his most well known book in 1951, although the above quotes are from the lesser known "The Passionate state of Minds, and other Aphorisms" (1955).

In the TOJKD acknowledgements are given to four books only,

Boxing (E. L. Haislet)
    Fencing (H & J Castello)
    Fencing with the Foil (R. Crosnier)
    The Theory and Practice of Fencing (J. M Castello)

My sources for this are

http://erichoffer.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Eric_Hoffer

And "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do" by Bruce Lee

Perhaps Bruce copied the quotes in his personal notes and they were mistakenly attributed to him upon publishing of the book, or they were simply not acknowledged in the printing of TOJKD.

Unless you dispute Wikipedia as a source, in which case I will have to order "The Passionate state of Minds, and other Aphorisms" and check a hard copy.

I'm not too surprised or dissappointed, although I do think its interesting such a basic mistake was made. Then again no one had Google back when TOJKD was published.

The good news is I've found a new author to start reading!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2007 9:52am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    None of the stuff found in Bruce Lee's notes were really his, just things he copied for reference. When the book was in the process of being written, Bruce Lee's actual notes took up like 10% (or less) of the book, the rest is just crap they added.

Posted On:
    12/03/2007 9:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I realize that and think that was how the mistake was made, however it is at least polite to reference any authors work that is used. A disclaimer could even be issued simply by listing all of the books from his personal library and stating the quotes could be from any one of them.

Thanks for your comment :)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2007 4:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The majority of the notes and illustrations that ended up in the ToJKD were hand-written, copied or traced by Lee at a time when photocopying wasn't widely available outside of large offices.

I understand that the ToJKD was edited together by various people, including Gilbert Johnson, Linda Lee and Dan Inosanto, based on BL's (largely unattributed) notes. On that basis, it's likely that the editors didn't actually know the sources for a lot of the material reproduced in the book, and weren't able to distinguish between Lee's own material and those of his other sources.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/03/2007 4:20pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    The majority of the notes and illustrations that ended up in the ToJKD were hand-written, copied or traced by Lee at a time when photocopying wasn't widely available outside of large offices.

I understand that the ToJKD was edited together by various people, including Gilbert Johnson, Linda Lee and Dan Inosanto, based on BL's (largely unattributed) notes. On that basis, it's likely that the editors didn't actually know the sources for a lot of the material reproduced in the book, and weren't able to distinguish between Lee's own material and those of his other sources.
    That is exactly what I've found.

Also, you have to remember how big a name he was when the book was published. The editor's may not have cared.

Are you going to buy a book which is 10% BL and 90 percent hearsay?
    Or, do you want a book attributed in its entirety to BL? I know for years I thought he wrote the entire thing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 12:13am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're saying you actually study his books? Leave that **** to Jesus pl0x.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 3:33am

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey dont forget acknowlegement of the ghetto 52 hand blocks / jailhouse rock.

Remember that they stole all that supposed silat/FMA material that keysi fighting method uses
    from the real source. Sucessful and attractive african americans.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63406