Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. #11
    JabCrossHook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Leicester, England
    Posts
    220
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic
    I'd just like to put it out there that skipping on one leg is indeed a bitch, and kicked my ass, and is thus awesome.
    Once you get comfortable with it, try single foot double unders. If they don't induce a near death experience then nothing will.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    117
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to be terrible at skipping rope. 6 months later, not so bad, I look pretty cocky doing it too. Still can't do the double turn dealie, I'm just not fast enough or whatever. At my gym, we have the beaded ropes... those hurt like a bitch when you're barefooted. :viking:

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsburg PA
    Posts
    185
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic
    I'd just like to put it out there that skipping on one leg is indeed a bitch, and kicked my ass, and is thus awesome.
    I was actually quite good with skipping on one leg. I like to switch up my leg that is up every now and then for a challenge. It really helps me.

    Quote Originally Posted by tsname
    I used to be terrible at skipping rope. 6 months later, not so bad, I look pretty cocky doing it too. Still can't do the double turn dealie, I'm just not fast enough or whatever. At my gym, we have the beaded ropes... those hurt like a bitch when you're barefooted.
    It takes a while to get really good at jump rope. We used weighted leather ropes, and THOSE really hurt when you get hit with them. I've done it many a times.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    41
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know skipping is fantastic exercise for your heart and lungs, but is it good for your knees? I've been told that it can mess them up in a similar fashion that running does, and I've been told by someone else it can actully make your knees stronger.

    so which does it actully do?

  5. #15
    cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    831
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Fu Fury
    I know skipping is fantastic exercise for your heart and lungs, but is it good for your knees? I've been told that it can mess them up in a similar fashion that running does, and I've been told by someone else it can actully make your knees stronger.

    so which does it actully do?
    Misinfo? Running/jogging really doesn't screw your knees up, it's sprinting that does it, normally (feel free to kill me on that one, I would love to be corrected). Skipping is about the same intensity as jogging on your knees I think, since you're not slamming them into the pavement and forcing the joints to move as harsh as sprinting, but I could be wrong, of course.

  6. #16
    Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee supporting member
    CoffeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sherwood, OR
    Posts
    2,179
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Fu Fury
    I know skipping is fantastic exercise for your heart and lungs, but is it good for your knees? I've been told that it can mess them up in a similar fashion that running does, and I've been told by someone else it can actully make your knees stronger.

    so which does it actully do?
    Well, you are causing impact on you knees and ankles so there is always a possibility of causing injury. If your doing ropes on a mat and not on the street you should be fine, if it starts to hurt then stop. I've had to stop skipping for a bit just because it was starting to hurt my ankles, but it never felt too bad on my knees

  7. #17
    cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    831
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan
    Well, you are causing impact on you knees and ankles so there is always a possibility of causing injury. If your doing ropes on a mat and not on the street you should be fine, if it starts to hurt then stop. I've had to stop skipping for a bit just because it was starting to hurt my ankles, but it never felt too bad on my knees
    I meant that sprinting is more of stomping and launching. Skipping is just a simple ankle/knee push. Sprinting and hard jogging are a greater pain on your joints, I would think.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    41
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah right thanks for the info dudes. I have just recovered from a twisted knee and fucked back so I'm just being a little careful about what exercises I do. Skipping does seem to be helping though, I just wanted to be sure. Thanks again.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    16
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just make sure you wear shoes and you don't skip on a hard surface like cement and it definitely won't be a problem. I skip barefoot usually on wood and it doesn't hurt ever whereas I used to jog on the pavement with good running shoes and still I'd sometimes get a little knee pain.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    547
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Theres a thread somewhere about this guy showing how to jumprope properly

    its different but http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...ight=jump+rope
    Last edited by Purpleskunk; 12/08/2007 6:42pm at .

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO