Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2007 4:37pm

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help with skipping!

Hello everyone!

Lately, I've been looking at some workout videos to see what else I can do to improve my own fitness and fighting ability. I soon noticed that there was a lot of skipping involved in these excercise programs.

So, I was wondering. What does skipping do for you? I've heard that it improves foot work and that it's a good warm up. What else?

What sort of variations of skipping should I do? And why do people suddenly stop skipping and just whip the rope around both sides of them?

(I just got one of those heavier skipping ropes, I'm looking to incorporate it into some part of my work out.)

Of course, thank you for all your help in advance!

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/02/2007 5:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People stop skipping and whip the rope to the side of them when the **** up and miss a skip. It's how you recover the rope without stopping and resetting.

Skipping is good cardio and conditioning. Variations? Skip fast, skip slow, cross over, 2-3 rotations per skip, run while skipping, hop on one foot, be creative.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2007 5:49pm

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh my god, Emevas! I didn't think you were still around. I haven't seen you on the MA boards on GameFAQs lately!

Thank you for all your help. Do you think skipping will be okay to do before I shadow kickbox? I think I'll skip for ten minutes before getting into it.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/02/2007 5:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Skipping is a great warm-up. Will get you nice and loose, and light on your feet. If your kickboxing school isn't already making you do it, then you definitely should.

I don't go to the gamefaqs boards anymore. I was spending way too much time there, and with my new job and wife, I needed to prioritize my life. I'm on here and T-nation under the name "t3hpwnisher". My xanga is still being updated as well.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 8:01am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    People stop skipping and whip the rope to the side of them when the **** up and miss a skip. It's how you recover the rope without stopping and resetting.

Skipping is good cardio and conditioning. Variations? Skip fast, skip slow, cross over, 2-3 rotations per skip, run while skipping, hop on one foot, be creative.
    Skipping is a lot of fun. My instructor says it's one of the most important pieces of exercise equipment that you can get. It's also fun because there are so MANY different ways you can skip using it and it's a good workout.

One thing I would suggest is that if you used a leather jump rope wear shoes for god sakes. Trust me on this one. I've hit the skin between my toes many times and it's stings like a mo fo.

In my instructor's book on boxing and kickboxing, he writes about the jump rope and how important it is. It can take a while, but once you get good with it, you can go for while without messing up and losing your rytham. My best time I think was 30 seconds straight before I messed up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 12:40pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "My best time I think was 30 seconds straight before I messed up."

Practice. Your instructor isn't kidding. You will see how it improves everything you do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 2:52pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao
    "My best time I think was 30 seconds straight before I messed up."

Practice. Your instructor isn't kidding. You will see how it improves everything you do.
    I know he aint kidding. I would like to practice, but some health issues prevent me from doing so right now.

He is really good right. I have a video of him doing skipping and throwing front snap kicks every know and then bring it back down to keep his rytham going.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 5:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry about the health issues, and I hope that everything clears up, so you can get back on that rope.

Skipping and kicking? Hey, there's so much one can do with a jump rope, it's amazing.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 5:26pm

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd just like to put it out there that skipping on one leg is indeed a bitch, and kicked my ass, and is thus awesome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 5:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Double-unders clean my clock all the fuckin' time.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast