Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2010 2:55pm

Style: JuShinDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Goshin Judo Dojo in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny-Goshin View Post
    I know students from that Goshin school, it's not bullshido, shame it closed. But on the same token I know people who trained there and went on to open mcdojos, the people who train barely over a year.
    I think he is still open, he has a lot of posts on you-tube, including one of a young lady doing kata, with reasonably good kime. However, there is some guy who is claiming to be a seventh dawn in kendo/iaido, on his videos, that is really dangerous in his techniques and training, he is teaching those kids a lot of bad habits for the future, if they ever graduate to a "live blade." Scary!

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 7:22am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin Karate and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look at it this way if I opened a university in my garage, decided I was a PhD, printed myself a diploma, found some students who want to study with me and call me Doctor then I began teaching incorrect information and research methods finally graduating that person with a bachelors degree what would you have? Someone who has no idea what they are doing? Welcome to Goshin Jutsu folks!
    The methods and application of techniques is completely wrong. I should know I earned a 2nd dan in Goshin Jutsu with a teacher connected with Hanshi Cavalier and Durrant near Rochester. They were nice people but had no idea about kata, bunkai or proper training methods. I left that club to do legitimate Karate and earned a real dan rank from Japan. (BTW I also live near Tokyo now and do Karate and Judo here + I've been to Thailand and learned Muay Thai). Because Goshin Jutsu has really bad technique and improper training methods (no bag work)when u get in a real fight it shows quick. Maybe your "master" can fight but I doubt it. I say stop wasting your time with people who dont know what they are teaching and join a judo, BJJ or real Karate club with qualified instructors. Its a night and day difference. I also don't like the use of these fake titles. Japanese people think we are complete idiots when they see big fat Americans running around with titles of master and soke wearing red and white belts. Many of them can barely tie there obi or perform a kata correctly. It gives everyone a bad name who does real karate when these jackass create there own styles. Not sure how your teacher sleeps at night or ties his obi on and goes into a class when he knows what he is doing is fake.

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 7:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: aiki-jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry you had such a bad experience. I studied under Master Bob Fields as well as Master Ed Reid. I have been to seminars with Master Cavalier, Master Durant and others. I am sure the training in Japan would be much better. After all as Americans we are quite lazy. I have used my training to teach many over the years. (I received my first black belt in 1993). I have had countless stories of bouncers, students and police officers who I have helped train. The teachings they have learned from Goshin Jitsu has helped them. I understand that Master Durant probably lied about his rank, etc. But, the karate that was taught his, or anothers was and is still effective.

Posted On:
    6/19/2012 4:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin & Goshin Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have had a similar experience in the same locale. And this particular school chased out students who had extensive Judo, wrestling and Sport Jujutsu backgrounds because they were "corrupting" the Goshin Style. The instruction I recieved there taught just enough to make me feel embarassed when I trained at REAL karate clubs and judo clubs. There is no application of technique in a "real time" setting, barely any bag or focus mitt work and nothing comparible to randori or free grappling.

The particular student who studied Goshin there now teaches his own program in Rochester NY and has an extremely successful children's program as well as an adult program. I still continue to study Kyokushin, Judo and assist him in teaching his program.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2012 6:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

confused?

I don't get why someone with a kyokushin and judo background (very similar to my background) would want anything to do with Goshin Jutsu! Kind of like someone with a Ph.D. working for someone who does some kind of new-aged woo-woo like rebirthing or NLP!? LOL/WTF!? (WTF does not stand for World Taekwondo Federation in this case)

Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    I have had a similar experience in the same locale. And this particular school chased out students who had extensive Judo, wrestling and Sport Jujutsu backgrounds because they were "corrupting" the Goshin Style. The instruction I recieved there taught just enough to make me feel embarassed when I trained at REAL karate clubs and judo clubs. There is no application of technique in a "real time" setting, barely any bag or focus mitt work and nothing comparible to randori or free grappling.

The particular student who studied Goshin there now teaches his own program in Rochester NY and has an extremely successful children's program as well as an adult program. I still continue to study Kyokushin, Judo and assist him in teaching his program.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2013 11:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in salt lake city, we have a reported seventh degree "shichidan" ( if in Japanese, should be nanadan), a Mr. Jose Otero. You can look up goshin jitsu on you tube to see some of the self-defence katas of their local organization. Or google Goshin Jitsu Salt Lake
    From E-budo:

I have actually lost count of the number of "Grandmasters" who claim to be the one and only "diasoke" of the Durant's style. A quick web search reveals at least SIX individuals who claim extremely high rank (and most also declare themselves the "head" of the Goshin system):

Joe Brague, claiming 10th dan http://www.goshinjutsu.org/pages/history.htm

Matthew Durant, claiming 10th dan http://www.goshin-jutsu.com/

William Cavalier, claiming 10th dan http://www.geneseo.edu/~karate/t_history.htm

Robert Bohach, claiming 10th dan http://www.iksa.com/profiles/heckman.html

Steven Capela, claiming 9th dan http://goshinjutsu.freeyellow.com/index.html

Jim Locke, currently claiming 8th dan http://www.royal-martial-arts.com/school.html

What a bunch of morons.[/QUOTE]
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213