Hell yeah! Hell no!
    about an hour north

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2009 10:15pm

Style: JuShinDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a long drive, but I hear there is Enshin in Charlotte.

Posted On:
    10/14/2009 10:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kuniba Soke was real, he owned several schools in the Tidewater Virginia area such as VA Beach and his HQ was in Portsmouth, VA. He was authorized to expand his system of Seishinkai via the very old Budo federation in Japan that at one time governed all martial arts in Japan, including Judo before the Kodokan was identified as the world governing body of Judo. This was also before the formation of the IJF(International Judo Federation). Many MA instructors and BLK BLTS sought Kuniba Soke to teach them and requested they fall under his umbrella. Goshin Do/Jutsu is a legitmate Ju Jutsu style. Not to be confused with Goshin Jutsu Judo Kata created in the 50's from a board of Judo/JuJutsu/Aikido Grandmasters.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 2:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

goshin in Salt Lake City, Utah

Quote Originally Posted by blugularis View Post
    lots of good school here in Salt Lake, Will on state st. is supposed to be pretty good, and there are some MMA schools that are fairly good, one is owned by an asshole (no comments), and there are some others, also a muay thai school (no ideas on that one), and Musokai in Murray, he took from Joko Ninomiya, and is basically Kyokushin blended with Okinawan (he calls himself the Okinawan karate do school), my own teacher took from the Musokai guy, Kiyoshi Arkikaki (Kiyoshi is his name, not his title), I think he goes by Kancho right now, claiming to be seventh degree, but he has been around for a long time, and produce some awesome full contact fighters including some that were fairly well known in Japan, and also in the Sabaki Challenge. Anyway, I don't even know what the "triad area," is, but I figured if I didn't blog sumtin, then I would go back to newbie status! he ha!
    :pancakebu

we have a Goshin-Jitsu "school" here in Salt Lake City, Utah, used to be at the SHIN institute (a therapy and psychiatry program), but now it is housed at the Columbus Community Center. I walked by them the other day (I was on my way to my Kendo and Iaido class down the hall), and stuck my head in to see what they were up to, the "sensei" asked me to stay and study, and I told him "no thanks," and he said "broaden your horizons" or some such BS, I should have asked him to join us, instead? Anyhow he was wearing a red and white belt, which is supposed to be something like seventh degree, not sure if he is even thirty years old. Looks like a great class for kids (which they have), they all wearing their little black and/or white gis, mostly looks like kempo stuff, some punches and kicks, hands up and such, and those kids having fun, doesn't look like much harm, and they are getting something out of it, throwing kicks and punching, might not be a bad place to just start out for someone ten years old. Sadly, there is some real (USA) Judo, also, down the hall, and I would rather have my kids taking something that would lead to something. There is also Shorin karate there on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and Martin Hing is a great guy and a good teacher. Anyhows, the red and white belt thing bout cracks me up, but what's a man to do!? :hitit:

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 4:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ichirosato View Post
    Kuniba Soke was real, he owned several schools in the Tidewater Virginia area such as VA Beach and his HQ was in Portsmouth, VA. He was authorized to expand his system of Seishinkai via the very old Budo federation in Japan that at one time governed all martial arts in Japan, including Judo before the Kodokan was identified as the world governing body of Judo. This was also before the formation of the IJF(International Judo Federation). Many MA instructors and BLK BLTS sought Kuniba Soke to teach them and requested they fall under his umbrella. Goshin Do/Jutsu is a legitmate Ju Jutsu style. Not to be confused with Goshin Jutsu Judo Kata created in the 50's from a board of Judo/JuJutsu/Aikido Grandmasters.
    Well, there is a problem here.

Before Judo became an Olympic Sport the ONLY governing body was the Kodokan, period. Yes, Kano was a member of many historical bujutsu/budo groups, but to assert that ANY of them were over the Kodokan as far as Judo was concerned is simply not correct.

Also, there is a VERY hard side to Judoka who have to fight in the real world, (cops notably) as I have seen first hand. They had NO need to look outside of the system for what they needed to do "real world self-defense."
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 4:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FYI:

The red and white belt is SUPPOSED to mean teacher. Let me explain from a Judo stand point.

Up to Godan (5th degree) its really about your Judo. What YOU can do and how well you can do it. When you hit Rokudan (6th and red & white) its now about your ability to teach someone ELSE how to create THEIR Judo. How good is it if I can only teach my best move? No, that belt is supposed to mean I can teach judo successfully to ANYONE.

My test for it took almost a week at the Spirit of the Eagle camp and lasted several hours each day. You have NO idea how pissed I get when I see that belt around the waist of someone who is clueless.....
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 8:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

cops and Judo

Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Well, there is a problem here.

Before Judo became an Olympic Sport the ONLY governing body was the Kodokan, period. Yes, Kano was a member of many historical bujutsu/budo groups, but to assert that ANY of them were over the Kodokan as far as Judo was concerned is simply not correct.

Also, there is a VERY hard side to Judoka who have to fight in the real world, (cops notably) as I have seen first hand. They had NO need to look outside of the system for what they needed to do "real world self-defense."
    I knew a cop who was a brown belt, and throwing him was like trying to throw a refrigerator! Also, Fred, sandan, tough squat black feller (now retired ex-cop) he broke two of our Sensie Chen's ribs, and almost dislocated my shoulder doing a juji, I heard (and he heard and stopped) a "POP" inside my shoulder, and it HURT! He always says that Chen taught him "the correct way" to do taiotoshi, that allowed him to win some tournaments! :XXcompute

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 8:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

clueless red and white belts!?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    FYI:

The red and white belt is SUPPOSED to mean teacher. Let me explain from a Judo stand point.

Up to Godan (5th degree) its really about your Judo. What YOU can do and how well you can do it. When you hit Rokudan (6th and red & white) its now about your ability to teach someone ELSE how to create THEIR Judo. How good is it if I can only teach my best move? No, that belt is supposed to mean I can teach judo successfully to ANYONE.

My test for it took almost a week at the Spirit of the Eagle camp and lasted several hours each day. You have NO idea how pissed I get when I see that belt around the waist of someone who is clueless.....
    I can believe how pissed off, and personally, I'm not sure if I'm pissed, or I just consider it laughably ludicrous, like the entire goshin karate school!?:blob9:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 8:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

red and white belts in Goshin-shitsu!?

:eusa_wall
    Quote Originally Posted by blugularis View Post
    I can believe how pissed off, and personally, I'm not sure if I'm pissed, or I just consider it laughably ludicrous, like the entire goshin karate school!?:blob9:
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213 LastLast