OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    12/03/2007 5:55pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do fix knee?

About 2 years ago I hurt my knee doing squats while having no idea what I was doing. It's been bothering me ever since.

Now, when I hurt my knee before I went to a sports med guy. He was an old fool. First he told me it was a bruised knee cap from the inside and it will get better. It didn't. Then he said it was _____ (he literally didn't tell me) and that maybe in 10 years I'll be able to run marathons, but my knee is shot to hell and the devil raped my mother.

So, taking this into account, and the fact that my boss at the time who I met through BJJ had completely blown his ACL and was back in the game 100% 2 years later, I decided the doc was full of **** and lightly exercises my knee until it was *ok*.

I was able to do squats and stuff, although I'm not strong nor was I ever, so the weight I through around wasn't much. I started exercising again about 2 weeks ago and yesterday when I was lifting I hurt my knee again. Doing body weight squats.

Yup. I think I pinned it down to not warming up enough, because I only rode my bike around for a few minutes. It was cold so I wasn't too eager to stay outside.

Now to my question:

What do I do to get my knee in shape and make sure I don't injure it again? I just got done riding my bike for cardio and I can already feel my knee if I bend my leg sideways a bit.

I just need some general guidelines since I don't intend to go to a doctor about this. I just don't have the money for physical therapy or some **** like that.

Any specific exercises that strengthen the knee? I'm 90% certain it's my tendon. It's my left knee and to the outside of it, just below the knee cap.

Posted On:
    12/03/2007 6:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I remember right Runningdog blew out his knee, he should have something for you if you want to pm him.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    12/03/2007 6:04pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No more squats.

After my knee injury I don't do heavy squats and I don't do deep squats. And most definately don't do heavy deep squats.

What you are describing sounds like a medial collateral tear. Contrary to what you might think they never heal back to 100%. Once they get lax from a tear they are never quite as tight.

Personally I think you should see another doc. Then stay off it. Then use extension excersizes to compensate for what *SOUNDS LIKE TO ME* an overdeveloped hamstring/underdeveloped quad that has created an imbalance between the front and back part of the leg - and the side is paying the price. This is speculation though. What is certain though is no more squats. Go deadlifts.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/03/2007 6:37pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ Go deadlifts.

He has teh correct (try sumo deadlifts, at least for me, the wider the stance, the less pressure I get on my knees). Go gradual, though.

One thing that caught my attention is that you said you warm up using your bike. I've heard and read so many things pro and con bikes when it comes to the knees, I don't know what to believe anymore. Have you ever felt any knee pain when riding your bike?

If you have a access to a leg extension machine, once your knee stops bothering you, you should try one-leg leg extensions, the top 20% of the ROM. Don't go heavy, the idea is not to blast it, but to use a load that lets you do 15 to 20 reps (think rehab.) You want to strenghten your vastus medialis (healthy vastus medialis == happy knee.)

Also, do you stretch your quads, ankles, glutes and hip flexors/abductiors at all????? A lot of things could have affect your knee when doing squats (ankle dorsiflexion inflexibility, iliotibial thightness, inflexible hip abductors and flexors.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    12/03/2007 11:50pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weird thing is that I've never once aggravated it with dead lifts... I'll keep going with those and see what happens.

Would it be in my interest to invest in a ham curl/leg extension thing for my bench?

Err... no, I don't stretch... :(

As to my bike riding, I feel it loosens my knee. Usually. Like today I went riding and afterwards my knee was tender. Clearly I messed it up more. Then again I was at a low (High? It was hard to pedal.) gear, so that had a bit to do with it I guess. Usually I switch the gears so it's easy to pedal and just let my legs get tired instead of making them push hard.

Also, this is kind of a moot point, but what do I lose by not doing squats and going all deadlifts instead?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 5:41am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You will learn to love terminal knee extensions. They solve everything.

There is a really good interview of Buddy Morris by EFS floating around on youtube. Look that up. Has really good knee exercises plus some other really good training knowledge.

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 9:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    Weird thing is that I've never once aggravated it with dead lifts... I'll keep going with those and see what happens.
    Deadlifts are the best thing. I avoided them a lot for a long time due to an injury (an injury due to poor form, not the deadlift itself) preferring squats instead. In hinsight that was a big mistake. Not only they are safer to your knees and back (when done properly), they have a carry-over to your entire body whereas squats are more leg-centric (not to say they don't hit your whole body as well.)

Just make sure you use good form. Go light if necessary and film yourself. When you look at yourself doing it, you can quickly see if you are rounding your back, if you are underusing your hips, etc. Use good form, go safe, and go light if necessary.

Would it be in my interest to invest in a ham curl/leg extension thing for my bench?
    If it's within your budget, you should go for it. You should also look into resistance bands, the ones without handles - Sports Authority carries a package containing two light (yellow), two medium (red) and two heavy (blue) resistance bands for less than $20.

But before you off buying stuff, take care of the following, would you?

Err... no, I don't stretch... :(
    This could be the culprit. If your ankles, hips and/or hamstrings are inflexible, two things will eventually give up when doing squats (or anything involving your legs): knees and lower back. If your shoulders rotators areare inflexible, two things can go wrong when doing squats or deadlifts: shoulders, wrists and lower back.

You got to put the time to stretch man. Stretch the ankles, stretch the shins, stretch the hamstrings, the quads, the hip flexors and abductors, the glutes, the shoulders internal and external rotators, the obliques. It takes less than 10 minutes to do that, less so if you stretch lightly throughout the day if you work on a chair.

If you don't do this, it won't matter what new gadget you get. You'll **** something else eventually.

As to my bike riding, I feel it loosens my knee. Usually. Like today I went riding and afterwards my knee was tender. Clearly I messed it up more. Then again I was at a low (High? It was hard to pedal.) gear, so that had a bit to do with it I guess. Usually I switch the gears so it's easy to pedal and just let my legs get tired instead of making them push hard.
    Switching gears is good. So I guess you are good with the bike.

Also, this is kind of a moot point, but what do I lose by not doing squats and going all deadlifts instead?
    Depends on what your goals are. Squats are best for leg development.

On the other hand, deadlifts, whether they are sumo, back or regular, they'll hit everything, your back, your neck, your grip, your stomach, things that don't get hit by squats. And of course, your hips, glutes and legs will get hit as well.

If you are looking for strenght, and if you have to choose between squats and deadlifts, go deadlifts. You may want to do good mornings every now and then instead of squats to strenghten your back; the stronger your back is, the harder you can deadlift with safety.

But please, use good form and go light and/or moderately heavy at first, and stretch regularly. I can't emphasize that enough.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 9:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raining_Blood
    You will learn to love terminal knee extensions. They solve everything.

There is a really good interview of Buddy Morris by EFS floating around on youtube. Look that up. Has really good knee exercises plus some other really good training knowledge.
    QFT!!

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 10:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 3:49pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure you're wearing good shoes during your everyday walking around.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast