Sponsored Links Spacer Image

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    12/01/2007 8:33pm

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posture

I have a bad back, and subsequently, horrible posture. Not as in constant pain bad, but as in "Man, it really shouldn't look like that" bad. Scoliosis and lordosis. I hunch forwards and slouch a lot, terrible posture. I've been lifting (fairly lightly, I'm a noob and a weakling) on and off for years now, and all of this started when I was recommended to see a personal trainer/proffessional bodybuilder bud of my chiropractor's, who in an effort to fix my spine gave me a basic workout full of isolation exercises for the whole body, back included. A few years of not doing that later, and I returned to the trainer, and got "Do benchpress with dumbells, squats with dumbells, and stiff legged deadlifts with dumbells" and otherwise a green light to do whatever I felt like.

So, I turn to the noble lifters of bullshido: HOW DO FIX POSTURE/BACK!?!?!?! I think this is a "Help the noob, plz" with somewhat of a twist, but basically I'm interested in y'all's opinions on what constitutes a good overall workout that especially targets the back and improves posture. For example, I'm of the impression working the frontal shoulders hunches on forwards, so by that logic are there muscles that should be particularly worked to pull the shoulders backwards? I'm guessing that any exercise that targets or uses the erector spinae as a synergist are good for the purpose of straightening one's back? I'm 18, about 184 centimetres, (or approx. 6'1), and about 70ish kilos, and a bit pudgy in the belly, so my interest in lifting is both to improve my back and my general health and muscularity.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially from those who've experienced low/mid/upper back problems or just know a thing or two about them. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by socratic; 12/01/2007 8:35pm at .

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/02/2007 12:41am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    12/02/2007 4:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting. Thanks man! I'm gonna have a look around at the local bookshop for starting strength, I see it and the whole Rippetoe workout mentioned quite frequently. Hmm, the supermans look fun.

Posted On:
    12/02/2007 11:41am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is where I re-iterate my approval of yoga and pilates. Give 'em six months, you'll feel much better.

Aside from that, follow Pirate Jon to the shelter of Rippetoe's nuts. Starting Strength is a fine, fine book.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    12/02/2007 12:08pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Supermans are one of the exercises my chiro gave me for my back when it was messed up. I did them and the stretches he gave me religiously for about 8 months and haven't had lower back problems since. They are t3h good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2007 3:55pm

Style: MMA + Harmonica

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    Supermans are one of the exercises my chiro gave me for my back when it was messed up. I did them and the stretches he gave me religiously for about 8 months and haven't had lower back problems since. They are t3h good.
    This man speaks the truth. Listen to him.

Also, for some reason starting rock climbing worked wonders on my back. You might want to consider starting some kind of a new sport/activity.

Scoliosis is a bitch.
    Last edited by illegalusername; 12/02/2007 3:58pm at .

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    12/02/2007 5:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by illegalusername

Also, for some reason starting rock climbing worked wonders on my back. You might want to consider starting some kind of a new sport/activity.

Scoliosis is a bitch.
    It really is. I'm definitely adding supermans to my repertior- I was doing hyperextensions on my swiss ball for a while, but I figured I was better off just using my bench for my exercises.

Do you think that because there's so much pull up and chin up work in rock climbing, maybe that had an effect on your back? I should get back into that, now that I think about it, it was great fun when I was younger.

Quote Originally Posted by kintanon
    D'you mind sharing some of those stretches, if you could?

Oh, and here's my current repertior, in case any of you guys think that I'm doing something particularly good/bad for my back:

Dumbell Benchpress (3 sets, increasing weight decreasing reps), Dumbell Squat (same), stiff-legged deadlift (same, except I haven't really figured out a good weight for that yet), bycicle crunches (and maybe situps), and now supermans. Anything else that should go in there, you fellas recon?

Oh, and now that I think about it, what kinds of Yoga and Pilates did you do, Jackrusher, or what kinds would you recommend? There's a Yoga guy next door who does Ashtanga, I think, so I might check it out.

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    12/02/2007 5:27pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a great article on the relationship between back health, pain, and posture, with some interesting exercises.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1444035

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    12/02/2007 5:35pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by illegalusername

Scoliosis is a bitch.
    Rock climbing requires core strength. The newly developed muscles could be helping support your back.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Posted On:
    12/02/2007 6:04pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic
    Dumbell Benchpress (3 sets, increasing weight decreasing reps), Dumbell Squat (same), stiff-legged deadlift (same, except I haven't really figured out a good weight for that yet), bycicle crunches (and maybe situps), and now supermans. Anything else that should go in there, you fellas recon? [...] what kinds of Yoga and Pilates did you do, Jackrusher, or what kinds would you recommend
    You might want to do some chin-ups to balance your bench-pressing, plus back extensions to balance the crunches. El Macho would have more to say about that.

I do Power Yoga (Vinyasa/Ashtanga) and basic (no equipment) Pilates. It took me awhile to find a yoga instructor whose main focus was bettering athletic performance, rather than seeking spiritual unity, but it was totally worth it. Every Pilates class I've attended has included the aforementioned supermans.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast